What Laptop Should I Buy ?

sunholidaysun1

Actually this is what i really would want !

is it possible to customize interface so it look like winXP in every way ?

@poanoi:

Not behind the scenes, except superficially. It'll still take too many clicks to get anywhere. But this shortcut pack helps tremendously; you can put links to them on a launchbar:

http://www.techfeb.com/download-128-shortcuts-pack-for-windows-7-to-speed-up-your-work/

If you want your desktop to look like XP, you can tweak the taskbar with this:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/taskbartweaker.html

and install an XP-looking theme; my favorite is SlanXP:

http://mini-slash.deviantart.com/art/SlanXP-2-0-For-7-134955170

Or you can simply change the theme to Classic (back to Win 98 and 2000!) and use a theme changer to add color schemes:

http://3dcc.jote.eu/

extra schemes here:

http://wittswallpapers.com/Schemes/indexschemes.html

One advantage of this is that it gets rid of the Win 7 taskbar effects (like those silly previews and annoying Start orb) at one swoop. In that way it's better than the taskbar tweaker, which does only 90% of the job. And you don't have to patch the Win 7 theme .dll.

I use Classic in my Win 7 virtualbox, with a 3dcc scheme I tweaked, and like it a lot. Uses far less resources (stop the themes service). In fact if I were using Win 7 non-virtually nowadays I think I'd just use it too.

Edited by JSixpack

Personally, I would avoid Acer. I have one and have never been happy with it. I would also avoid Dell. They may have been good many years ago, but have gone downhill significantly.

I have been using HP laptops. Not perfect, but they do work well and are quite reliable. I also like Fujitsu, but they are on the pricey side.

I HAVE 2HP;ONE Windows Vista one Windows 7 both 5n years in operation.Will buy another brand next time.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

I use winXP myself, it works like a charm and by todays standard demand very little hardware,

and i know how it works etc

I liked xp but windows 7 is better i bought legit copies as it was for work. You get a free virus scanner drom microsoft too.

free virus scanner? you dont mean the Defender?

I use winXP myself, it works like a charm and by todays standard demand very little hardware,

and i know how it works etc

I liked xp but windows 7 is better i bought legit copies as it was for work. You get a free virus scanner drom microsoft too.

free virus scanner? you dont mean the Defender?

Microsoft Security Essentials, you can download it for free if you have a legit copy

Hi Sun,

If you want it only for basic e-mail and a bit of internet every Laptop will do.

Due to you would like to watch movies then you should get a laptop with an HDMI access and a better graphic card.

Best for this, in my opinion, is ACER or ASUS.

Better are DELL or Lenovo if you want something really solid.

Myself I have switched since years to MAC and would always recommend it but it is a pricey option just for e-mails and internet.

I have never bought into this "myth" that Macs are overpriced. Sure, you can get a Windows computer for $500 but they are generally underpowered. By the time you get decent processing & graphics power, good battery life & storage, you're up to $800. With Macbooks starting around $1000 and considering a Mac will last you twice as long, trouble-free, compared to most Windows machines, I find them to be a good value.

If it's just for email & surfing, sure it's overkill. But if you need a good, durable computer that will last roughly forever, not requiring expensive add-ons and not prone to infestations of all sorts, then Mac is the way to go.

BTW, I've been using Macs exclusively for 8 years now, never bought any anti-virus or security software, I surf with impunity and never gotten an infection of any sort. People say Macs are just as susceptible to virus as anyone else. Perhaps in theory, but I've never known a Mac owner who got infected.

Well true Windows is more targeted since it is so much more wide spread,

i'm guessing it is directly proportional to how many users world wide.

But since software is also available in proportion to the market, i prefer windows,

oh, and cheaper too btw.

I also would say that the brand of a complete PC is irrelevant, since they all buy components from

various specialized manufacturers of DVD/Graphic/memory/motherboard/etc

Edited by poanoi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would recommend to buy an Asus laptop. Asus offer 24 months warranty on their laptop and some of their models come installed with Windows 7 or 8. Also their laptops are pretty reliable on the performance side.

They offer models starting at 14 900 baths with Intel i3 processor, 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, Intel graphic card, dvd drive, HDMI, USB 3.0 and Windows 7 Premium. Models around 20 000-24 000 bahts come with a better processor, NVIDIA graphic card 1 or 2GB and more HDD space.

The Zenbook and K46C series also have a nice slim design with aluminium casing.

You can find Asus laptop at Banana IT, IT City, JIB or other local computer shops.