Buying Self Protection. (Mace/pepper Spray/tazer Etc.)

Almera

I like getting drunk, and i invariably get into stupid discussions on buying ladydrinks in gogo,

and i think that is the situation for most of us

Then you deserve to get raped and murdered for being so foolish then. rolleyes.gif

cheesy.gif

You do have to wonder about some of these apologists eh.

For some reason I think of the John Major puppet on Spitting Image.

sp_2401862b.jpg

Edited by Almera
  • Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really must, try this:

"You can buy pepper spray at the pharmacy counter in Foodland, Central Pattaya Road.

If you really must, read the thread:

"Thanks. I've been to Pattaya twice and will never be there again,"

So, your half decade of living in Thailand hasn't taught you that Foodland has branches in a number of places in Thailand apart from Pattaya, for example on soi5 on Sukky, hence, they are likely to stock the product there also! BTW sukky is short for Sukhumvit road, in case you haven't learnt that either!

BluenoseBKK:

Almost a troll post, violent crimes involving/againmst young western women in Thailand are extremely rare as those with any significant amount of time here will be aware, yes such crimes do happen as a function of the sheer volume of people who visit the country but in general times western women are a near protected species here. So Almera's example of the so called attack in Buriram (a typical student technical college revenge attack against a security guard) and the Ao Nang tourist attack case (it was only the Sun that introduced the words atempted rape) don't quite fit the bill!

Plus the Nakhon Sri Thammarat Scottish teacher gang rape case,the Ao Nang/Krabi machete assault case,the list goes on!

Edited by chiang mai

BluenoseBKK:

Almost a troll post, violent crimes involving/againmst young western women in Thailand are extremely rare as those with any significant amount of time here will be aware, yes such crimes do happen as a function of the sheer volume of people who visit the country but in general times western women are a near protected species here. So Almera's example of the so called attack in Buriram (a typical student technical college revenge attack against a security guard) and the Ao Nang tourist attack case (it was only the Sun that introduced the words atempted rape) don't quite fit the bill!

Plus the Nakhon Sri Thammarat Scottish teacher gang rape case,the Ao Nang/Krabi machete assault case,the list goes on!

Australian travel agent knifed to death in Patong,young girl raped by tuk tuk driver also in Patong,sigh!

Almost a troll post,really?Can't you see how disrespectful that is to these victims?

Edited by Bluenose BKK

Some people aren't so good at reading. :(

If you (or others) want to start a 'Thailand isn't the least bit dangerous for young females, or others, outside of Pattaya' thread go for it.

Leave this one for what it is about.

Nana Plaza/Soi 4 opposite is the best place to find these things.I would go for Pepper Spray over Mace as even if you close your eyes,your eyelids start to bubble with Pepper Spray,much more effective!

Do you know what they call pepper spray?

Pep-phuurrrr Splaaae, na khrap? Or is there a Thai term, if anyone knows?

omg.. just take your lazy self to sukhumvit road and open your eyes, sheesh how you managed to travel here is beyond me.

Well in that case why not convince your friend that it's not sensible or needed here!

Probably because I've lived in Thailand for half a decade, and doing so would be lying to them.

I suppose it could be a potential problem in say Pattaya, but in the more normal parts of the country the young lady would be unlikely to be in any danger, as long as statutory common sense is available.

Of course, but what you think, cm, is immaterial really. Muang Thai ain't paradise and stuff happens all the time, young ladies being most vulnerable. Me thinks addressing the question and avoiding opinions on the whys and wherefores (really for another topic) is the way forwards or one may risk coming across as a busybody.

• Like 1

The best self protection is being "streetsmart"..don't get drunk, don't get into any stupid discussions in bars, don't stare at people, don't interfere with other peoples business, don't walk around the town at night for the last beer...just chill out and be cool and enjoy yourself..

Where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

Maybe the rules are something like this. Brass Knuckles have the same penality as a gun. Tazers I am unsure of. Knives of any kind (fighting ones included) are ok as long as the blade is less than 11cms

Funny the bouncers on walking street seem to carry all of these as a matter of course, according to recent incidents. No mentions of them being charged though? bet if we carried them the law would be enacted eh? Not that I want to in any way.

• Like 1

these keychain batons are very effective with a little practice.

can also get them as flashlights. Best not to give the Thai legal system have any issues with you.

50441.jpg

It's called a Kubotan in Martial Arts,developed by Takayuki Kubota.

Very effective if used properly too,the SAS often use them for things like extracting an insurgent from a vehicle by putting pressure on the radius/radial bone,very,very painful!

Here's a good demo from an 8th Dan Master of Kenpo Karate! :

Nana Plaza/Soi 4 opposite is the best place to find these things.I would go for Pepper Spray over Mace as even if you close your eyes,your eyelids start to bubble with Pepper Spray,much more effective!

Do you know what they call pepper spray?

Pep-phuurrrr Splaaae, na khrap? Or is there a Thai term, if anyone knows?

omg.. just take your lazy self to sukhumvit road and open your eyes, sheesh how you managed to travel here is beyond me.

I haven't 'traveled' here since 2004.

I have lived here since 2006 though. Downtown Sukhumvit is the last place I'd willingly spend my time, though. I'm sure I'm really missing out. ;)

• Like 2

Why do you think you need it? Gotta say that if you think you do need to buy/carry that kind of stuff in Thailand you probably need to look long and hard at your own behaviour.

Yes, I would agree with that, but what about protecting yourself against dogs?

Why do you think you need it?

Who said it's for me?

Well in that case why not convince your friend that it's not sensible or needed here!

I would be very interested in buying pepper spray if I was going back to the UK, but 99% not needed in Thailand, except as I said against dogs.