How Many Mosquitoes Bit You Last Night?

mosquitoes bit you, while in bed  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get bitten very often - If I go for a jungle-trek then yes (and they hurt them jungle mozzies, feels like they use a can opener!).

I Put it down to the fact that I don't eat meat and am not that sweaty. In BKK during the mozzie months when its so bl**dy hot 'n' sticky I just sleep on the bed with a towel to cover my bits and the fan on medium pointing directly at me - no air con (why freeze in LoS?), no mozzie cream, no chems either worn or burnt - no bites!

Um, well, a fan would do that. Can't fly if fan strong enough. Works 100% but can have bad effects on small children (pneumonia) and can't do it where I am because it gets cold at night in the mountains.

Switch off the fan and see how many bite you despite eating no meat :o

Simple mozzie net does it for me, low tech, no chemicals.

I also have a "black hole" trap and while it does decimate them somewhat it really doesn't solve the problem. There's always one or two who find humans much more attractive than the trap.

As for this ARS stuff - I wonder what's in it. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it's perfectly healthy. I will keep it in mind though.

Interesting post. I never get bitten, and unlike wolf I eat meat and sweat excessively! Also interesting though, my wife gets eaten alive - she uses repellent and covers everything up. Our diet is identical so it must be something in the blood, or skin type. (or some other difference between us!)

• 10 months later...
Bangkok. Uncle has not suffered any bites in several nights. A few weeks ago, usually one a night (usually each mosquito making several successful biting runs; very adept at finding ankles, back of elbows, other tasty spots) . Problem aggravated by need to make several bathroom visits with mosquitoes evidently following back into screened bedroom Causal role of beer drinking and prostate problems.

What is the cause of recent decline in mosquito activity?

They are all coming up to Chiang Mai for a visit... or thats the way it feels.

• 1 year later...

woow got bit about 25 times on the ankles and other tender spots,,,,the reason for this is we got a new maid and she keep leaving the door open and when watering the plants in the morning the flyes were pleantiful and of course they went in to the house,,,after getting bitten so much, after explaning to her 5 times to keep the screans shut when she goes out went down stairs were my wife, maid and friend were and asked were we were and we lived in asia and if the maid was asian in a loud voice and said I have been bitten so many times that i was jumping mad, told the wife if it didnt change the maid is gone now...they understood then.

Thankfully now this stupid maid we got rid of and now have a good maid

The liquid machines work well enough. Two points though. Sometimes they stop working for no apparent reason. Happened to the one in the bedroom so my feet now are a bloody mess of scars.

The other thing is that when they say they last 45 days it means 45 x 8 hours, so if you keep them on permanently then they will need changing every fortnight.

• 4 weeks later...
The best repellent I know is ................ the wife I hardly ever get bitten she on the other hand gets it all the time...... :o Must be the sweeter blood or something ........

Do mossies know what sweet tastes like? your wife could have (i'm not saying she has) blood that tastes like rats piss.

• 6 months later...

None, but i have the air on freezing cold !....its odd but when i used to travel thailand with a friend i never got bit, but my friend that smokes got hundreds of bites, i told him it was the nicotine they liked, but the tw@t still sparked up 40 a day !,..... :)

Why would it be in her urine? Her immunity musy be blood based - so, gut her and bathe in her blood - that the way to go. It has the added benefit of giving you eternal life too - assuming she's a virgin - like Countess Báthory's theories.

er... for the phsychopaths out there, I was joking!

Interesting idea, though. On the other hand, I fear that elderly virgins in Thailand are as rare as hens' teeth! Did you try the urine? I'd try myself but there are no mozzies here at the moment. In any case the old lady is a bit slow and says that she's put off by me standing around with a bucket.

Cat's piss is a suitable alternative mosquito repellent, but the required quantities are hard to come by.

Also, be careful, your fumbling the cat could easily be misinterpreted by the casual observer. :D

Cat burglar ?.your taking the p1ss ! :)

there's always at least 1 mossie in my bedroom waiting to snack on me or my gf. When i lived in Issan i always ended up looking like the mossies used me for a midnight buffet. Probably because my ex's blood was so bitter. Perhaps the mossies were trying to tell me something!