Trip To Kuala Lumpur - Best Sim Card For Malaysia?

Heading to KL for a week. Would like to get a local sim with the following in mind:

- mostly for data on smart phone, not likely to be more than 250-300mb for the week

- a few local calls, mostly local sms.

I have a dual active sim phone - so will have my 12call sim in the 2nd slot just for receiving and sending through my Thai number - but I won't be using that for data or calls.

Any recommendations on a good cost effective sim to get, packages etc for pre-paid?

Been a while since I've been in Malaysia, so I can't remember the carriers.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Just thought of an additional question:

What is the Rabbit equivalent for getting around on public transport (LRT/monorail/bus) - ie stored value card. Is it Touch'n'Go or MyRapid?

Any advice on using this, costs etc?

I am flying AA, and I have been to the tune sim site you posted previously - is this really the best deal compared to other providers in Malaysia?

I've been living in KL for a few months and use Maxis Hotlink. You can buy it at the airport. Not sure if it is the cheapest but it does have good coverage and the usual data plans.

Booze can be a bit expensive here so if you are heading to the Changkat are in the city for a night out I usually head to Nevermine Bar. Cheapest booze at RM11 for a pint.

If you are chasing the ladies and going to Beach Club be sure you are there before 9pm or they have a RM30 or 40 cover charge to get in. Also be sure to stock up on the beer before 9pm. You can buy a bucket full of ice with 7 Carlsberg bottles for about RM70. Beware, the cost of alcohol will make your toes curl in any place after 9pm.

Not sure if you needed that info but just in case. smile.png

Pretty sure you won't be using your one2call sim in kl, doesn't work there.

Worked fine in Penang last month, so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work in KL with the same Malaysian roaming partner.

edit: Just checked - 12Call was on the MAXIS network when I was in Penang. I'm guessing MAXIS is Malaysia wide...so I'm pretty sure it will work in KL

Pretty sure you won't be using your one2call sim in kl, doesn't work there.

Worked fine in Penang last month, so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work in KL with the same Malaysian roaming partner.

edit: Just checked - 12Call was on the MAXIS network when I was in Penang. I'm guessing MAXIS is Malaysia wide...so I'm pretty sure it will work in KL

OK I stand corrected, it's been three years since I was in KL but back then my one2call had no roaming partner. Glad to see they've got it together.

get digi cheapest rates and dependable for the short term.....if u want u can get the touch and go which lets u onto all public transport......u probably wont do that though as if u are there for a short period then it is not worth it to put the deposit down

Not sure if you are already in KL. For the best value you can get the U Mobile. The coverage is not an issue in KL.

After the custom, you will see a Sony store beside the escalator. There is a small u mobile booth, you can get the sim for free just need to top up only.

For plan UMI 18 (18rm) u get unlimited internet(250mb high speed quota) 25mins free call and 25 free sms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is available on arrival at LCCT. Enjoy your trips. biggrin.png

Thanks for your advice - found the guys handing out the U Mobile sim cards exactly where you said it was (at the Sony shop just before the escalators going down to baggage claim)

They weren't free - They were charging RM35 for the SIM, and putting it onto the UMI28 plan (see this link for plan details)

I think they are making a few ringgit out of the difference - but I had already researched the plans and it suited my needs, so I grabbed it.

Coverage isn't perfect - but overall very happy with the SIM. Drops out of service on the LRT underground, but that might be all carriers.

The fact the plan gives you unlimited data for a month makes it worthwhile for anyone using a smart phone while here.

Plus 30 sms and 100 minutes talk time included.

I think this is a far better deal than the Tune Talk AirAsia sim card.