Leading University In Bangkok Produces First Amphibious Vehicle For Flood Use

webfact

A bit more elegant design.

JetskiWheels.jpg

As you can see on the picture this Jetski is a little different than any other one, it has wheels and obviously it is capable of going on land too. In other words this is World’s First High Speed Amphibian Quadbike / ATV. It is capable of travelling up to 50 mph on land and water and makes the transition, according to the company, at the flick of a switch

Source

When it comes to cost effective emergency vehicles I don't think elegance is an important consideration and I doubt that this one would be available for 200,000B

Why won't anyone give these students a litlle credit?

I know it goes against the grain for most TV members but some positivity wouldn't go amiss here; who knows, the students may have produced a useful, low cost vehicle. Certainly more useful than any of the other ridiculous suggestions being made here.

• Like 1

The DUKW was made during the Second world war and would be of far more use.

DUKW.jpg

The Amphicar was made in Germany in the 1960s and would be more fun.

amphicar.jpg

Perhaps you could tell the authorities here where they could buy one of your suggestions?

They use the Dukw in Singapore for tourist trips. They have several amphicars at the Jetsada motor museum in Nakhon Chasri (they may also have a Dukw. They have a hovercraft :P)

I know it goes against the grain for most TV members but some positivity wouldn't go amiss here; who knows, the students may have produced a useful, low cost vehicle. Certainly more useful than any of the other ridiculous suggestions being made here.

Because it is in reality a complete and utterly un-newsworthy. Its a nice high school project, and i am sure the guys worked hard to build it, but it has all been done before, and as the pictures people have found, is in the market already. The biggest problem with the article is the headline, which the kids themselves have nothing to do with.

No credit is given because these guys didn't invent an amphibious vehicle, they only took a JetSki and put wheels on it like foreigners have done many years before. September 7, 1968 a really lame television show for children had its characters driving around in a six wheel amphibious vehicle that looks like it would work perfectly for floods around this part of Asia. Also Volkswagen invented something called "the thing" that was amphibious. These things have been around forever! No credit No credit no credit no credit for "inventing" something.

I'll give them credit for trying to re-create something to help people in the event that emergencies do happen in this country. Let's hope they'll never have to use it!

While I admit it is a nice piece of engineering by the students, there are some flaws. The hull (jetski) is designed for high speed gliding, they have to adjust it for low speed cruise, and without a trailer of similar design for transport of goods or persons it is just an expensive toy. But speeding around the disaster areas will certainly take any hiso's mind off his flooded home for a while. And you can sink or capsize any improvised floating device of the lower classes with the waves you create - that is going to be funny.

Kuebelwagen (special version) was somewhen in the 1930s-1940s in Germany and far better design....Basically a normal car with which has a propeller. Edited by h90

Possibly the most impractical design for flood waters I could imagine. The nose should be bulbous and flowing the water out to the side with minimum wake, something a jetski style will never do. A nose will also push debris aside to allow clean uptake to the propulsion unit underneath. Slightly wider will offer more stability at slower speeds etc. But I guess it is best described as a base line tuk - tuk with an amphibious body due to the three wheel configuration...

• Like 1

Yes, they deserve some praise for trying their hand at something innovative. It was an exercise in applying the skills they have learnt. This is what technology and trades students often do. The university engineering faculties have contests for developing solar vehicle prototypes and the like. The auto makers often come out with prototype models.

My concern though is whether or not the next phase of vetting would be followed before some lame brain actually says, oh goodie let's make them. One of the problems of flooding is that it can lead to gas leaks and exposed live electrical wires. A quasi jetski motoring about that doesn't account for that, or that there is submerged hidden debris could result in some injuries or fatalities when used.

Marlow999, on 21 Mar 2013 - 13:55, said:

MikeOboe57, on 21 Mar 2013 - 10:00, said:

While I admit it is a nice piece of engineering by the students, there are some flaws. The hull (jetski) is designed for high speed gliding, they have to adjust it for low speed cruise, and without a trailer of similar design for transport of goods or persons it is just an expensive toy. But speeding around the disaster areas will certainly take any hiso's mind off his flooded home for a while. And you can sink or capsize any improvised floating device of the lower classes with the waves you create - that is going to be funny.

Didn't cross your mind that they thought about that and the craft may have been adjusted for low speed cruise? Give them some credit.

If they had thought about that they certainly did not implement it, as it clearly can be seen. This is a high speed glider hull. And the range of 25 km as mentioned in the article means that this thingie has to show up at a functioning fuel station every 1-2 hours.

Could many of them be used to force the water back out to the gulf ??? Well done you guys, but had you invented something that would be useful and unique it could have been good news.

Suppose you cannot expect much more when youngsters are cheating to get places in Uni and schools. You cannot pay for your brains to work. ( not suggesting this is the case here) but it makes you wonder why Thailand isn't the HUB of inventions.

Yes, they deserve some praise for trying their hand at something innovative. It was an exercise in applying the skills they have learnt. This is what technology and trades students often do. The university engineering faculties have contests for developing solar vehicle prototypes and the like. The auto makers often come out with prototype models.

My concern though is whether or not the next phase of vetting would be followed before some lame brain actually says, oh goodie let's make them. One of the problems of flooding is that it can lead to gas leaks and exposed live electrical wires. A quasi jetski motoring about that doesn't account for that, or that there is submerged hidden debris could result in some injuries or fatalities when used.

Not to mention running red buoys.

A bit more elegant design.

JetskiWheels.jpg

As you can see on the picture this Jetski is a little different than any other one, it has wheels and obviously it is capable of going on land too. In other words this is World’s First High Speed Amphibian Quadbike / ATV. It is capable of travelling up to 50 mph on land and water and makes the transition, according to the company, at the flick of a switch

Source

So once again the Thais invented a copy.

• Like 2

I'd have been more impressed if they had used the hovercraft as a starting point. Another UK invention was the 'swimming tank'. This is just an example of the Thai examination culture - cribbing. Like other posters, I have doubts about it's utility to the victims of a flood situation.

Edited by Bagwan

I'd have been more impressed if they had used the hovercraft as a starting point. Another UK invention was the 'swimming tank'. This is just an example of the Thai examination culture - cribbing. Like other posters, I have doubts about it's utility to the victims of a flood situation.

Hoover crafts as airboats used like in the Everglades are a better option to rescue wounded people and far more powerful to operate in stormy up -and downstream conditions.

The DUKW was made during the Second world war and would be of far more use.

post-5614-0-74367900-1363844777_thumb.jp

The Amphicar was made in Germany in the 1960s and would be more fun.

post-5614-0-43669700-1363844805_thumb.jp

That photo was taken in Liverpool of the famous tourist water Bourne truck thingy. Edited by britgent

Because it is in reality a complete and utterly un-newsworthy. Its a nice high school project, and i am sure the guys worked hard to build it, but it has all been done before, and as the pictures people have found, is in the market already. The biggest problem with the article is the headline, which the kids themselves have nothing to do with.

If the vehicle does what it's designed for what is "utterly un-newsworthy" about it?

What "is in the market already" at 200,000B?

This vehicle has only been designed for the elite who need little protection from the possible future floods. Now how about designing something affordable for the real people who have been affected by the floods.

• Like 1