Truemove H Settings?

AngThong

Hi all,

I got myself what's supposed to be a Truemove H SIM (if such a thing even exists - do they really use different SIMs for different services?). Calling and texts work just fine but I got no MMS/APN settings and so no internet. Tried asking the 7/11 staff to no avail and I don't speak Thai. Googling turned up a couple of pages with useless advice... So how do I enable Truemove internet? I guess I just need the right APN/MMS settings, or do I have to call/text Truemove as well? I did get a couple of texts from them - in Thai...

Also I don't know if my phone supports the right frequencies; I have a European HTC Desire (original) which might not support the required frequency in Thailand (850...?). I think it only supports 900/2100 MHz for 3G/HSPA. Do I need a new phone as well?

Edited by AngThong

I have a DTAC sim and enabled True internet by applying for their B150 per month fee. It works in most places where there is a TRUE WiFi Hotspot. DTAC has a service center at Chamchuri Square just take Sam Yan MRT exit. They should be able to answer your questions about your phone.

True move internet: call their support service, ask for English: 029009898

http://www.truemove-h.com/helpsupport_apnsettings.aspx#info-product2

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=339

Setting up the APNs is relatively easy.

There are two different versions of the HTC Desire but suspect you are correct and your version supports 900/2100 MHz 3G, so you could use 2G with TrueMove H, enable data roaming so you can roam onto the legacy TrueMove 1800 MHz GSM network until it is shuttered on 15 Sep. Or use AIS/One-2-Call (900 MHz) or TOT 2100 MHz, or wait a few months when TrueMove, AIS and DTAC all start to deploy 2100 MHz 3G, or buy a new phone?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, your version of phone will not run on Thailand current 3G network but you might want to set the APN setting in to confirm.

Like Lomatopo mention, you either wait a few more months (according to true move H they plan to introduce in Q2 is yr) or grab yourself a new phone. Local phone will have APN setting store in the OS.

I have attached the APN setting for both mms and Internet.

post-169766-13640287384755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So if I've understood you guys correctly, my European HTC Desire will not run on Truemove's 3G network. But it will run on AIS or TOT? So if I switch to AIS/TOT I will not need to change phone? Because that's a lot cheaper.

I live on Koh Pha Ngan by the way. Truemove have decent GMS coverage here but no idea about their 3G coverage, I think AIS are supposed to be best in these parts.

Edited by AngThong

• 2 weeks later...

A question about AIS tariffs... I've bought "unlimited internet" for 860 B, how long is it valid for? The Thai who sold it to me didn't understand the question. I guess it isn't really unlimited, but at the speed I'm getting, I doubt I'll hit whatever traffic limits they may apply. So I guess the 860 B "unlimited" means you get a reasonable amount of data before they throttle it (10 GB?) which is valid for X number of days. How many? 30? 60? 90? Anyone know? My main line (TOT ADSL) is down so surfing slowly on AIS Edge (no 3G on Ko Pha Ngan yet).

Your post is confusing but I am guessing you subscribed to the 799 baht/3 GB mobile data plan (close to 860 baht with 7% VAT).

This plan lasts for 30 days - and will auto-renew assuming you have enough balance. Above 3 GB your speed is 384 Kbps.

Thanks, Iomatopo - that makes perfect sense. I guess the Thai vendor was about as clueless as myself - so it's 30 days. If you instead buy a 1GB or 2GB data package, how long are they valid for? Also 30 days?

Edited by AngThong