Amanda Knox Faces Italy Retrial Over Kercher Murder

webfact

Amanda Knox faces Italy retrial over Kercher murder

Italy's highest court has ordered US student Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito to face a retrial over the 2007 killing of Briton Meredith Kercher.

Miss Knox and Mr Sollecito spent four years in jail for murder but were freed on appeal in October 2011, largely on the grounds DNA evidence was flawed.

Prosecutors appealed and the Court of Cassation overturned the acquittals.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21936308#TWEET686936

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-03-26

Do the Brits on this board mostly think she did it? (killed fellow Brit Meredith Kercher)

I remember seeing something on BBC about how this was viewed by Brits sort of like the O.J. Simpson trial in the US, that most were convinced she was a murderess. If what prosecutors say is true, was part of some sort of 3-way sex game, I'd like more details on that.

I'd say there's a 0% chance of her being extradited back to Italy, as the US legal system does not support double jeopardy.

Then that will work both ways and Italy wont extradite ppl to the USA

Ok I guess that would be true if we don't ever extradite anyone, but that's not what I said. In this case, I think her right as a US citizen to not face double jeopardy will end up keeping her in the US. Will see how it plays out though I guess.

Do the Brits on this board mostly think she did it? (killed fellow Brit Meredith Kercher)

I remember seeing something on BBC about how this was viewed by Brits sort of like the O.J. Simpson trial in the US, that most were convinced she was a murderess. If what prosecutors say is true, was part of some sort of 3-way sex game, I'd like more details on that.

No. The original prosecutor has a long track record as something of a conspiracy nut. The sex game stuff looks to be an invention of his fevered imagination. Of course a lot of the media failed to challenge it, it was just the sort of story they love.

Italian Court Overturns Amanda Knox Acquittal, Orders Retrial

PERUGIA, ITALY (BNO NEWS) -- Italy's top criminal court on Tuesday ordered a retrial of American student Amanda Knox and former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito after overturning their 2011 acquittal for the murder of a British student, but it appeared unlikely the country could force her to return for new hearings.

The Supreme Court of Cassation, which is usually seen as the major court of last resort, overturned Tuesday the pair's acquittal in an appellate court in 2011. The judges ruled both Knox and Sollecito should stand trial again for the murder, and said the retrial will take place at the appeal court in Florence.

Italian courts usually take weeks or months before they publish their reasoning behind rulings, and as such few other details were immediately available. The court also upheld Knox's defamation conviction for falsely accusing her employer, bar owner Patrick Lumumba, of the murder.

Knox, who is now 25, was initially sentenced to 26 years of imprisonment after being found guilty of murdering 21-year-old British flatmate Meredith Kercher in the Italian city of Perugia in November 2007. Kercher's body was found semi-naked and with her throat slashed in what appeared to be a burglary.

Prosecutors claimed Knox, Sollecito and Rudy Guede, a drifter and small-time drug dealer, had started a sex game on the day of the murder, but that Kercher refused to participate. Sollecito, who was initially sentenced to 25 years in prison, was claimed to have held Kercher while Knox stabbed her to death. Guede was sentenced to 16 years of imprisonment.

Knox described Tuesday's ruling as "painful" and said the prosecution's theory of her involvement had previously been revealed to be unfounded. "I believe that any questions as to my innocence must be examined by an objective investigation and a capable prosecution," she said. "The prosecution responsible for the many discrepancies in their work must be made to answer for them, for Raffaele's sake, my sake, and most especially for the sake of Meredith's family. Our hearts go out to them."

The American student said she will continue to face the legal battle to prove her innocence, but it appears unlikely that Italy could force Knox to return for the new hearings. "No matter what happens, my family and I will face this continuing legal battle as we always have, confident in the truth and with our heads held high in the face of wrongful accusations and unreasonable adversity," she said.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

tvn.png
-- 2013-03-27

I'd say there's a 0% chance of her being extradited back to Italy, as the US legal system does not support double jeopardy.

Yes but it also means if she is found guilty in absentia then her travelling days are effectively over because as soon as she sets foot in another country that does have an extradition treaty with Italy, they will get her.

Yes but it also means if she is found guilty in absentia then her travelling days are effectively over because as soon as she sets foot in another country that does have an extradition treaty with Italy, they will get her.

Maybe

Its seems too coincidental that a book she co authored about the whole thing is due to come out in in 4 weeks - this smacks more as a PR gimmick to spike Amandas guns

However if found guilty and Italy demands justice they would still have to put through a formal extradition request to the US and list her on interpol. How much you bet EVEN if she is "found guilty" neither of these will ever be done! biggrin.png it will be allowed to quietly go away and in fact it will in retrospect be seen as nothing more than a face saving gesture.

Not that the US would force her to go - as some posters have mentioned Italy could retaliate - how many people do you reckon are not sent back to the US per extradition request, because, say, they could face the death penalty?! - or even too old and infirm for the horrible fate (jail) that might await them in the US? Does the US retaliate? its a relative thing and always going on

Hey dont worry about death penalty cases that always get euro sensabilities in a twist - - check Mr Maestro who France will not send back to the US because he is too old to face jail time - This crap happens all the time and no one really cares - cept me of course I want Maestro to spend the rest of his life behind barswink.png

Edited by LomSak27

Someone killed her....that much is certain.

Rudy Guede. He's doing sixteen-years for her murder.

His silence is interesting. He admits to being there on the night of the murder, but denies being the murderer. He clearly has information that could clear or convict Knox and her former boyfriend. The reported evidence suggests more than one involved.

Knox and her boyfriend are both profiting through writing their stories. It is the poor Kercher family that people should feel sorry for. Still no closure and now seeing two of the main suspects convicted, acquited and now the acquital subject to review; whilst the two individuals are also apparently happy to profit from their daughters horific death.

No doubt there are more twists to come before the Kercher's hopefully get the truth.

It is the poor Kercher family that people should feel sorry for

Well thats what the Brit tabloid press tells us we should be concerned about in between their howls of angst and taking it to the bank

I would have thought that the Kercher family have every right to know how their daughter died. I know i would if it was my daughter. Especially as Amanda Knox has already been caught out lying and trying to implicate someone who clearly had nothing to do with the death. At least the Kircher family are not trying to cash in by writing a book, now that is taking it to the bank!

• Like 1

The Kercher family seeks and deserves justice in any sense of the word, whether it's Italian justice, British justice or U.S. justice. I believe the family has been largely silent because they know, or sense, the murderer of their daughter Meredith is and has been behind bars for a long time already - Rudy Guede. If Guede knew otherwise that was provable in a court of law, I'd think he would have provided it in return for some consideration of possibly a reduced sentence. I doubt Guede would be sitting silently in prison, taking the full rap, if he knew others involved in the murder were as free as the proverbial bird.

Any extradition request anyway has to be made on the basis of a national government to another national government, in this case of course, from and by the government of Italy to the government of the United States. If the new trial results in another double jeopardy verdict, I would doubt the Italian Minister of Justice would take any action in the case, i.e., the minister would not forward the matter to the prime minister. While double jeopardy does not apply in old Italy, it does offend everyone in the U.S. at least as much as the death penalty, which exists only in a majority of U.S. states, offends the sensibilities of so many western Europeans. (The U.S. Government hasn't implemented a death penalty case under federal law in something like 50 years, encompassing the terms of ten presidents.)

So if this new development in the case I consider (albeit from afar) to be a closed and decided matter does get to the highest levels of the Italian government, I'd have high confidence a justice minister would never forward it to the PM.

There's the additional real life factor that more Americans living abroad live in Italy than in any other country. The fact doesn't justify precluding the pursuit of justice involving an American in Italy, but given the facts and the history of this case, I should think the Italian government in Rome already sees this as a no-brainer case, i.e., it will leave Amanda Knox and her family be and will not unnecessarily disturb relations between Rome and Washington.

The most discussed aspect of this case,that drew the most attention in the U.K papers was how good looking and Hot the accused was.(The Media even dicussed the fact that if she was ugly would the case have drawn so much attention) Would She get a modeling contract when free. Brits are primned not to be shocked by death in sex acts,due to the number of U.K politicians and entertainers that die this way.

I think after being locked up abroad, I would never want to leave my home country ever again.

• Like 1