Hotel Occupancy On Koh Samui 68% For 2012

Hotel occupancy in Koh Samui was at an all-time high of 68 per cent overall for 2012, compared with 59 per cent in 2011, thanks to new direct international flights and aircraft upgrades, according to consulting firm C9 Hotelworks. - See more at:
http://www.thephuketnews.com/bangkok-airways-shopping-and-power-boost-samui%E2%80%99s-rise-38171.php#sthash.ETq1akZ9.dpuf

That's low , and they still plan on building more hotel rooms ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I would not have thought that 68% for the whole year was low. Every bed in every registered hotel booked for 68% of the time? Taking into account low season? I could be happy with that.

However, the comment about more hotel rooms is very valid. The increase of % occupancy was put down to bigger planes coming to the island. More hotel rooms - lower % of hotel occupancy. (They cannot land bigger planes on the island now.) 68% might be the peak unless we get more flights.

There are plans for another 5 Star resort at the west end of Maenam beach....(Far left side of Lomprayah Ferry terminal) They have been taking down the old resort for a while now....although it came to a halt for a while, but I gather it's "heating up " again....

I believe it is part of Home Bay Resort, which is very popular especially with German tourists ....

Agree, how many of these places are needed?

I also think 68% occupancy rate would be good.... for an average over the year!

This point is where many locals go fishing, but I bet the easy access gets cut off for them ... sad.png

Maenam%2Bbeach.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy

I would not have thought that 68% for the whole year was low. Every bed in every registered hotel booked for 68% of the time? Taking into account low season? I could be happy with that.

However, the comment about more hotel rooms is very valid. The increase of % occupancy was put down to bigger planes coming to the island. More hotel rooms - lower % of hotel occupancy. (They cannot land bigger planes on the island now.) 68% might be the peak unless we get more flights.

It's a free market, so companies are free to build more hotels. It would be stupid to stop building them, because more hotels means more competition, which should mean better service and better quality hotels. Failing hotels can be converted to some other use. I've no idea what the hotels there are like, but if I was in the hotel industry and thought I could do better than the existing hotels, then I would go ahead and build. Occupancy rate alone is no reason not to build more hotels.

It's a free market, so companies are free to build more hotels. It would be stupid to stop building them, because more hotels means more competition, which should mean better service and better quality hotels. Failing hotels can be converted to some other use. I've no idea what the hotels there are like, but if I was in the hotel industry and thought I could do better than the existing hotels, then I would go ahead and build. Occupancy rate alone is no reason not to build more hotels.

Occupancy means nothing without RevPar......68% however is high given that there are 20,000 rooms available, double occupancy makes it 40,000 guests with an averag stay of 5 days.....go figure....