Is This A Possibility? Teaching

I am a retired USA citizen (54yr) from northern USA with out an accent. I would like to teach (volunteer) in a thai school. I am willing to obtain TEFL or whatever teaching certificate that is required. I plan on attending thai language lessons ( i do speak thai but not fluent or good really) and teaching thais english would be fun for me. I need something to fill my time. I only have two years of University study in USA. No degree. I would work with adults or children. I just happen to love thai people and culture. Is this possible? Maybe just a dream I don't know. Not looking to teach for the money just the satisfaction.

It's possible but you probably won't be supplied with the necessary paperwork to make you a 'legal' volunteer. However, many foreigners volunteer on an ED or tourist visa and never experience a problem. Be aware it is illegal but it's highly unlikely you will be noticed by authorities that care enough to do something. Keep a low profile and you'll be fine.

It's possible but you probably won't be supplied with the necessary paperwork to make you a 'legal' volunteer. However, many foreigners volunteer on an ED or tourist visa and never experience a problem. Be aware it is illegal but it's highly unlikely you will be noticed by authorities that care enough to do something. Keep a low profile and you'll be fine.

Don't they continue the 10,000 baht/month scheme for NES? If so, then it wouldn't be a problem to find employment. Good luck!

Edited by sirchai

Under the current rules from the Teachers council, as a volunteer you do not need a teaching license.

That means you will have only 2 problems you must tackle, to do it legaly:

1. you must get a work permit, which will depend on the labour office if they will issue. Many wil nost issue if you stay in Thailand based on retirement. In that case the school or governor of your province must convince them otherwise.

2. On what base will you be staying in Thailand. Based on retirement, marriage or volunteering? Based on retirement you might not get a WP, based on volunteering some immigraiton offices apperenly don't allow you to volunteer for a government school. (The rules alllow you to volunteer, but the criteria for volunteering don't mention the government itself, only registered charities).

It is not possible to do any teaching work (or any work) as a volunteer here in Thailand without first getting the correct paperwork and visa modifications. What visa do you currently have?

If you would like to teach - I recommend you apply for a work permit from the Thai Immigration office. You will be able to find information about the process and conditions on this web site.

It may be a good idea to find out about possible teaching opportunities at the school you will be using to learn Thai. Many private language schools are looking for people with English as their first language. But, they will insist you are properly qualified, as least to TEFL level. You will also need to be qualified in order to get your work permit.

Without a 'work permit' you are able to volunteer if you get the correct documentation from Thai Immigration. However, you will be limited to the place you can do the volunteer work and the times.

I go to a school called Pro Language, which has branches in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai. You can find their website on line and send them you details and also ask them about the process - they will know better than me.

I did a bit of teaching when I first came here and loved it.

Good luck which whatever you decided to do.

I am interested in how one can volunteer teach without a work permit based on immigration status. All my information from the Labor Office and various forums is one must have a work permit to volunteer. Also, one can not get a work permit without some form of employment (or volunteer) agreement and support from the sponsoring organisation.

A further consideration is I can' think of any Thai school that will be bothered about your THai ability. THey are quite strict in my school about teachers who haveThai that is good enough to use in the class - most schools want you to use ENglish exclusively in the classroom. You'll pick up plenty of Thai simply from being here but I would suggest you keep learning it separate from work.

Get your visa into Thailand. After that you can get the paper work from any school to do volunteer work. This is then forwarded to the local education department. If they are happy with the paperwork you then go to the labour office, who will issue a work permit. Immigration have no need to know why you are in Thailand apart from your visa request, none of the main departments in Thailand talk to each other, and each keep getting new rules to follow that they did not know about.

I am interested in how one can volunteer teach without a work permit based on immigration status. All my information from the Labor Office and various forums is one must have a work permit to volunteer. Also, one can not get a work permit without some form of employment (or volunteer) agreement and support from the sponsoring organisation.

Correct