2013 Living Cost Comparison Gpb Vs Thb

Forgot to add something which makes a huge amount of difference to me and some others...

UK tax = 40%

Thailand tax = 0% (if payment made in UK for work not carried out in Thailand)

It's one reason that I'd probably never go back to the UK. Saves an absolute fortune. And gives me great satisfaction that the UK government thieves don't get their hands on my money. Well, apart from the money they steal from my rental income.

I know quite a few expats that save large amounts of money this way.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us the biggest outlays would be:

School Fees:

Thai THB 700k - THB 1.2mio a year - 2 kids. Education to be at least UK standard

UK - FREE. No need for a private school

Buy Car

Thai More expensive. Drive a Honda here as not worth paying 3 x price of a BMW

UK Would drive a BMV back in UK. Worth paying say 40% more for, compared to a Honda, and VFM.

It all swings back the other way though for us when tax comes into play:

Thai - next to nothing on investments

UK - Large amount to fund all the hangers on, people on "benefits" (one of the worst choice of words possible in my view), government debt, immigrants, and other money generally p****d away by politicians. Now would also have the "privelege" of being taxed on worldwide income if UK resident

Fletch smile.png

School fees are an essential for me in either country. You know now in UK only 40% of UK school leavers achieve 5 grade Cs or above at GCSE / 16 ; this is min for further study or a job in a supermarket checkout. Thats total, so if some of kids in uk go to independant school that's even less than 40% of state school leavers getting this. Private schools hit about 99% A-C achievement rate. So I think uk private school is essential if wanting to give kids a better shot in life. But state with extra help maybe ok but Similarly you could say a Thai school with extra tuitions be alright in that case.

To be fair a comparison it should be UK to Thai private schools of similar callibar and then we see Thai is cheaper also mostly.

Car obviously depends what you drive. A New Honda Jazz in either country would be a similar price - a new Parjero sport i think is a fair bit cheaper in Thailand.

As im sure u know, certain brands of car are just expensive here because not made here/ import tax. Choice of car is easily economised on depending on circumstance and budget- with the tight budgets being the focus of my thread. On that point of budgets in mind- the weather here is practical for the ultimate personal transport economising step- if needs be, moving on down to a motorbike or scooter.

These were just the ones relevant to me if I moved back, and for the lives I would want to lead.

I'd go back to where I came from. Schools still decent and free. My choice of car here vs there. Tax being a massive factor.

Appreciate it will differ for others :)

.... After the main stuff above for us the smaller stuff isn't worth sweating. Thailand is generally cheaper than UK for living the way we want. Once the kids are grown up will be clear cut Thailand on costs :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Dont agree with your 1300 rent for a home back in the UK.. more like 800 and your electric bill in Thailand looks too low.. 2000 baht mine is in the winter and 3300 in the summer.. only way your bill is that low is if you just use a fan and aircon but thanks for showing the difference on the other things.. It was interesting to read thre difference

where you been livin my 50m2 1 bedroom flat with no garden rents out at 750 a month in the uk ,you can easily be paying 1300 for a family house.

That may very well be true in London and other inner city prices,which is not representative of the whole Country,it's a case of get paid more in the cities and the cost of renting goes up.

Dont agree with your 1300 rent for a home back in the UK.. more like 800 and your electric bill in Thailand looks too low.. 2000 baht mine is in the winter and 3300 in the summer.. only way your bill is that low is if you just use a fan and aircon but thanks for showing the difference on the other things.. It was interesting to read thre difference

where you been livin my 50m2 1 bedroom flat with no garden rents out at 750 a month in the uk ,you can easily be paying 1300 for a family house.

That may very well be true in London and other inner city prices,which is not representative of the whole Country,it's a case of get paid more in the cities and the cost of renting goes up.

It's probably true in most of SE England, which is where most people would like to live. Also, the poster who mentioned the rent was comparing outskirts of Brighton to outskirts of Chiang Mai, so a fair comparison. You can't really compare Chiang Mai to some place in UK that most people wouldn't want to live. Also quality of rental property in lots of UK is pretty poor, especially in the smaller towns.

£150 -£200 council tax in UK

£0 in Thailand

If you live in a gated village you will be paying (or should be paying) some sort of community charge. It won't be zero but still cheaper than the UK council tax.

By the way if the charges quoted are monthly then for a single person in the UK should be a lot cheaper than the amount quoted - unless you live in a very big mansion! Do they still allow the 25% single persons discount?

Yes they still allow a 25% discount for single occupants.

£0 in Thailand

If you live in a gated village you will be paying (or should be paying) some sort of community charge. It won't be zero but still cheaper than the UK council tax.

By the way if the charges quoted are monthly then for a single person in the UK should be a lot cheaper than the amount quoted - unless you live in a very big mansion! Do they still allow the 25% single persons discount?

Council tax in a band A property in K&C Council area, with 25% single person discount, is under £45/month. So nowhere near the £150-£200/month that someone mentioned. Even a band H property is under £135.

It's probably true in most of SE England, which is where most people would like to live. Also, the poster who mentioned the rent was comparing outskirts of Brighton to outskirts of Chiang Mai, so a fair comparison. You can't really compare Chiang Mai to some place in UK that most people wouldn't want to live. Also quality of rental property in lots of UK is pretty poor, especially in the smaller towns.

Yes. Also in my comparison I was quoting the price I rent out an ex council house (3bed 1 bath) not bad condition but not exactly luxury - £1350. The house I'm in here in CM at £400 is quiet luxurious, hardwood floors (no laminate like England love), marble tiles in the 3 bathrooms and the master bedroom and living areas are double the size of UK. I could rent a more modest house here for £2-300 which would be a fairer comparison.

• Like 2

£0 in Thailand

Council tax in a band A property in K&C Council area, with 25% single person discount, is under £45/month. So nowhere near the £150-£200/month that someone mentioned. Even a band H property is under £135.

You sure you have that correct ? When i left i was paying about 100 pounds a month on my band B property in Bedfordshire with the discount, which is more than my water and electric here alone

£0 in Thailand

Band B is £99 per month,again nowhere near these wild figures flying around!

I think you need to shop around a bit more, I am currently living in the South East of England and am paying about half of all the prices that you quote

Rather than argue with the OP over what is obviously drastically exaggerated comparisons,with no proof of research,it's refreshing to have some first hand info.

• Like 1

£0 in Thailand

Band B is £99 per month,again nowhere near these wild figures flying around!

What are you on about?

I have 5 properties in Brighton. All are between £150 and £200 a month - 3 bed semis , ex council ( although some are extended and converted it hasn't affected it as no revaluations done since ages).

I know this is fact because I pay the bloody council every month since the places are currently rented out room by room.

(When I got in to this game this room by room was a nice bit more profit. But now the utilities have risen so much and look set to keep on rising I'm turning them all over to be single contract student lets do they can pay all the bills. A flip in what is most profitable biz practice because of inflation over only 3 years.)

Just take a quick look at zoopla or right move and you'll soon see the rents I'm quoting for 3 bed houses in Brighton are right.

One poster said he pays half £1300 - impossible for a three bed; Maybe a small flat. Unless If you talking sum where out in the middle nowhere, but then should be compare like for like with Thai also.

• Like 1

Forgot to add something which makes a huge amount of difference to me and some others...

UK tax = 40%

It's one reason that I'd probably never go back to the UK. Saves an absolute fortune. And gives me great satisfaction that the UK government thieves don't get their hands on my money. Well, apart from the money they steal from my rental income.

You

UK tax = 40%

You forgot to mention uk tax has different Bands i.e

Every one has at least £10,000 allowances before any Tax is deducted

Tax then gets deducted at a rate of 20%

It then continues up to earnings of £34,471

And then continues at the rate of 40%

Please try to be more factual with,your posts,which can be very misleading.

£0 in Thailand

You sure you have that correct ? When i left i was paying about 100 pounds a month on my band B property in Bedfordshire with the discount, which is more than my water and electric here alone

Yes, I'm sure. See http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/councilanddemocracy/counciltax.aspx. Very well run council. Don't waste money like many councils. Most people in UK vote for councils that spend, spend, spend. They don't seem to realise that they end up up for it themselves.

UK tax = 40%

You

>>>Forgot to add something which makes a huge amount of difference to me and some others...

UK tax = 40%

You forgot to mention uk tax has different Bands i.e

Every one has at least £10,000 allowances before any Tax is deducted

Tax then gets deducted at a rate of 20%

It then continues up to earnings of £34,471

And then continues at the rate of 40%

Please try to be more factual with,your posts,which can be very misleading.

This is a Brit thread, so I was assuming they all knew how the tax system works. I think my post is pretty clear.

But it's actually you that is misleading people. Everyone does NOT have a £10,000 allowance. For this tax year it's £8,105. The £10,000 allowance you mention doesn't start until 2014.

You also failed to mention that people that earn over around £120,000 get a personal allowance of £0. Yes, that's right, some people don't get a personal allowance at all. Please try to be a bit more accurate with your posts.

Edited by davejones

Amazingly Kensington and Chelsea is actually quite cheap by comparison

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/councilanddemocracy/counciltax/bandvalues.aspx

But good luck with the rent affordability

But it's great to own a rental property there. Good demand, and 50% capital return in last 3 years. Fantastic.

Sure. Good for you. But back to the point of this thread was me comparing UK to Thai prices for those on a tight budget/ needing to economise. I'd wager for most of those people a relocation to K&C is not an option, rent or buy is sky high, as is the cost of living.

I have a one bedroom flat in the UK that is quite energy efficient and the average monthly utility costs there are £26 electric, £35 gas and £17 water, interestingly those are almost exactly the same amounts I pay in Thailand although my condo in CM is twice the size.

As for the UK food costs described in the OP, I think the numbers are way too high, sure it's possible to pay those prices but with careful shopping it's also possible to pay much less.

BTW the capital cost of both apartments is almost identical, as is the monthly rent, both units are around THB6.5 mill/£144k and the rent on both is THB26k/£600 month.

Edited by chiang mai

You forgot the main costs in Thailand against UK which are as follows

Schools .

Thailand = 10000 baht a month for International school

UK = Free

Hospitals. Thailand expensive for Emergency treatment.

Uk = Free

Most expats living here don't have children in school, so it's not a cost at all for most.

Emergency treatment is not a cost for many either. I don't know many people at all that have needed emergency treatment, even in the UK.

So if you have school aged children and get run over by a bus, you will have higher costs. For those without children in school and who don't get run over by buses, it's very cheap here.

I have a one bedroom flat in the UK that is quite energy efficient and the average monthly utility costs there are £26 electric, £35 gas and £17 water, interestingly those are almost exactly the same amounts I pay in Thailand although my condo in CM is twice the size.

As for the UK food costs described in the OP, I think the numbers are way too high, sure it's possible to pay those prices but with careful shopping it's also possible to pay much less.

BTW the capital cost of both apartments is almost identical, as is the monthly rent, both units are around THB6.5 mill/£144k and the rent on both is THB26k/£600 month.

I'm intrigued that you pay so much for water here. My water bills in all places I've lived in Thailand have been £2-5. I don't know anyone in a condo that pays more then 250 baht/month for water. Is your meter correct, or do you use a lot of water. The cost I mention covers two people.

Where in the UK is your 1-bed apartment. Sounds like you're in a very small UK town and now in Bangkok. So you're comparing small town vs major city.

But it's great to own a rental property there. Good demand, and 50% capital return in last 3 years. Fantastic.

Sure. Good for you. But back to the point of this thread was me comparing UK to Thai prices for those on a tight budget/ needing to economise. I'd wager for most of those people a relocation to K&C is not an option, rent or buy is sky high, as is the cost of living.

Cot of living is ok in K&C. There is Portobello Market which is great for good quality and cheap fruit and veg, and lots of other things. It even has a Pound shop. You can buy basics as cheap as most places in the UK. But getting off topic now.

I think your UK prices in the original post are way too high. I can get almost everything much cheaper, even in K&C.

I'm intrigued that you pay so much for water here. My water bills in all places I've lived in Thailand have been £2-5. I don't know anyone in a condo that pays more then 250 baht/month for water. Is your meter correct, or do you use a lot of water. The cost I mention covers two people.

Where in the UK is your 1-bed apartment. Sounds like you're in a very small UK town and now in Bangkok. So you're comparing small town vs major city.

My apologies, my Thai water usage number is much lower, it averages around 160 a month.

My flat is in Chipping Norton, just outside Oxford - my condo in Thailand is in Chiang Mai.

My apologies, my Thai water usage number is much lower, it averages around 160 a month.

My flat is in Chipping Norton, just outside Oxford - my condo in Thailand is in Chiang Mai.

Nice place. I lived in Oxford for a couple of years. Had quite a good time there.

Cot of living is ok in K&C. There is Portobello Market which is great for good quality and cheap fruit and veg, and lots of other things. It even has a Pound shop. You can buy basics as cheap as most places in the UK. But getting off topic now.

I think your UK prices in the original post are way too high. I can get almost everything much cheaper, even in K&C.

A lot of difference between North Ken and South Ken. When people refer to K+C they are really thinking South Ken and Chelski. Those who live in parts of North Ken happy to confuse the issue.

Edited by yoshiwara

True, but K&C Council covers both. I wasn't trying to confuse the issue. That's like saying everyone who's comparing UK and Thai prices is trying to confuse because prices are different in different areas of both countries. K&C council area is more specific than UK as a whole.