8 1/2 By 11 Paper ~ Does Such Exist In Chiang Mai?

sunnitimes

Getting ready to send the annual tax report back to the States and since the IRS machine reads the returns it helps if the return is printed on 8 1/2 by 11 paper.

Short of buying really big sheets of paper and cutting them down to size; does anyone know of a shop selling US sized paper?

Yes..the European standard is A4 which is really world standard, EXCEPT for Canada and the US

Look in Makro for 'LEGAL' size

it's not only Europe, A4 is the standard for all SI (metric) countries, which includes Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific. Not sure about South Africa. I think the Philippines and the USA are the only non-metric countries now (tho approved by the US Senate in the late 19th centrury).

Not sure ISO A/B series paper sizes are directly related to using the metric system for stuff..

A4 size for example is 210 by 297 millimeters.. Not exactly a nice round number.

You could probably adopt regular paper sizes while not moving to metric for measuring stuff. ;)

Curious as to why you feel Letter size is needed as for the last 20 years I've submitted using A4 without any problems. I admit that the first couple of times I was concerned that it may be an issue since I couldn't find Letter size paper. But clearly no problems for them as they still took my check for taxes due. biggrin.png Also, the many thousands of returns that are hand written is unlikely going to work well in an automated reader. Suspect there are also many thousands of overseas tax payers that use A4.

Tywais, on 28 Mar 2013 - 07:45, said: Also, the many thousands of returns that are hand written is unlikely going to work well in an automated reader. Suspect there are also many thousands of overseas tax payers that use A4.

I am one of those thousands. Plus I prepare paperwork for 7-10 Thais at any one time for submittal to the U.S. govt and have had absolutely no feedback whatsoever about using A4 paper. And no one I know of has ever reported a problem.

Yes..the European standard is A4 which is really world standard, EXCEPT for Canada and the US

Look in Makro for 'LEGAL' size

Last year I was looking for letter size at Makro and Office Depot (Pantip), and was told they do not stock it at all.

I then went to Fuji Xerox on Huai Kaeo Road and found it in stock. Unfortunately, they would not sell me a ream (500 sheets). Only sold by the case (10 reams). Bummer!

Out of curiosity: if you live here, why are you still paying taxes for a place 10,000 miles away?

Because U.S. tax law requires all U.S. citizens (and a few others) to do so, wherever else in the world they live and for however long and wherever it is that they earn (or otherwise derive) their income.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity: if you live here, why are you still paying taxes for a place 10,000 miles away?

Because U.S. tax law requires all U.S. citizens (and a few others) to do so, wherever else in the world they live and for however long and wherever it is that they earn (or otherwise derive) their income.

For example, I have earned income and interest income being made in the US and as such US taxes are required to be paid. Only income made off shore can you use the exclusion option.

Just a note: Office Depot is no longer Office Depot. It's still pretty much the same as before although the stock is starting to change - guess someone finally realised that paying a franchise fee for a brand with zero local profile or support was not the smartest thing to be doing.

For example, I have earned income and interest income being made in the US and as such US taxes are required to be paid. Only income made off shore can you use the exclusion option.

An exclusion is available for a limited amount of income earned offshore, but even if it is available with respect to the full amount of one's offshore income, with the result that no U.S. federal income tax is payable on it, one is still required to file a tax return and report it.

An exclusion is available for a limited amount of income earned offshore, but even if it is available with respect to the full amount of one's offshore income, with the result that no U.S. federal income tax is payable on it, one is still required to file a tax return and report it.

. . . and that includes Social Security Benefits and retirement annuities (pensions) of US citizens. But no Thai income taxes due on these foreign-earned sources of income, of course!

• Like 1

I have been sending my return to the IRS on A4 paper for the last 5 years with no issues. It is processed and any refunds due are sent to my bank account promptly, so I think A4 is OK.

Note: Taxpayers living outside the US are instructed to send their returns to the Austin, TX IRS office. I assume their automated reader equipment is designed to handle A4 since the majority of overseas Americans do not have ready access to 8.5 x 11 paper. I always send it EMS Express Mail through the Thai Post office, and they give you online tracking info so you can track it all the way to Austin.

". . . and that includes Social Security Benefits and retirement annuities (pensions) of US citizens. But no Thai income taxes due on these foreign-earned sources of income, of course! "

Mekong Bob:
Are you sure? I have been told by some solid sources that in some conditions foreign-earned income is taxable under the Thai Tax code.
Edited by Dante99

Yes, I know exactly where to buy this paper.

It`s what they call the old foolscap size and can be purchased on the first floor at Makros in Hang Dong. Bought 2 reams myself there only last week. About 110 baht per ream of 500 sheets if I remember.

• Like 1

". . . and that includes Social Security Benefits and retirement annuities (pensions) of US citizens. But no Thai income taxes due on these foreign-earned sources of income, of course! "

Mekong Bob:
Are you sure? I have been told by some solid sources that in some conditions foreign-earned income is taxable under the Thai Tax code.

I was told some five or six years ago now that if amounts earned outside of Thailand are brought into Thailand during the same year that they are earned, they will be subject to Thai income tax.

Edited by Rasseru

. . . and that includes Social Security Benefits and retirement annuities (pensions) of US citizens. But no Thai income taxes due on these foreign-earned sources of income, of course!

That's news to me. When did the IRS start treating SS Benefits of expats as Foreign Earned Income? Are you sure that your SS Benefits aren't nontaxable for some other reason?

That's news to me. When did the IRS start treating SS Benefits of expats as Foreign Earned Income? Are you sure that your SS Benefits aren't nontaxable for some other reason?

Believe there is some confusion with all the quotes stacked up like that. SS & pension income earned in the US is taxed in the US and not considered foreign earned income and has nothing to do with foreign exclusion.

Mekong Bob:

I wish I had to pay tax in the states but they lied to me on the amount I would earn at retiring at 62. They gave me the 65 year old rate. On the plus side if you make under a certain amount you are not required to file income tax papers.

Most of my money comes from Canada and they informed me that they had an agreement with Thailand where they would not penalize one for living out side the country but they would send Thailand 25% and I would have to file here to get it back.

Not sure if the states has a similar agreement.

Mekong Bob:

I was told some five or six years ago now that if amounts earned outside of Thailand are brought into Thailand during the same year that they are earned, they will be subject to Thai income tax.

That is a curious bit of tax law. Have you heard of anybody who has had to pay Thai income taxes for bringing in current year income?

. . . . . I was told some five or six years ago now that if amounts earned outside of Thailand are brought into Thailand during the same year that they are earned, they will be subject to Thai income tax.

That is a curious bit of tax law. Have you heard of anybody who has had to pay Thai income taxes for bringing in current year income?

No, but it is not the kind of subject I touch on with friends. Also, what people are legally required to do and what they do can be different, and unless a law is actively enforced and violators of it caught, there will be no stories told about them. I would speculate too that many foreigners, at least, are ignorant of this legal requirement (if indeed it is one) and do not comply with it for that reason. I have arranged my affairs so that the issue is of no matter to me, and so have not needed to research the issue. It remains for me only something I was once told, albeit by someone who at the time, as I now recall, seemed to be someone who knew of what he spoke.

Mekong Bob:

I've never heard of anyone paying the tax but I have heard of the tax before.