Long-Term Motorbike Parking In Cm

BuffaloRescue

I found a company charging 500 baht per cubic meter a month for storage plus 2500 baht to come and pick it up... thats absolutely bloody outragous who in their right mind would do that? Thats roughly the storage cost for a bank vault.. give or take, and no pick up fees.

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Ensure you cover the bike for theft, fire, etc. A friend doing you a favor by keeping it at their place should not have to worry, apart from commonsense procedures, about loss of your bike.

Top it up and ask your friend to start it weekly moving it slightly to avoid resting on the same part of the tire. Removing a battery connection and keeping its lead isolated from the m/c body is possibly worth the effort, too; obviously reconnecting each week to start.

Yes, a friend indeed....

• Like 1

I dont like relying on friends too much. Favours are usually in leui of another favour etc

I fully understand where you`re coming from.

I too hate asking anyone for long term favours, plus of course what happens if you fall out with the friends or they decide to move on?

There are other problems with storing vehicles over long periods, such as battery will run flat, parts may seize if not used regularly and so on. Even if left in a proper storage facility, it`s still a concern as to the standard of the site, flooding, security and what happens if the company closes down while you are away.

It`s simply just not a good idea.

I found a company charging 500 baht per cubic meter a month for storage plus 2500 baht to come and pick it up... thats absolutely bloody outragous who in their right mind would do that? Thats roughly the storage cost for a bank vault.. give or take, and no pick up fees.

Assuming the storage is dry and secure and ventilated it's actually very reasonable. Check out self storage facilities in BKK - you'll find they run nearer the 1000 per month for a one cu m locker - less as the space increases of course. Pick up is probably contracted out and you don't say how far away you are so no comment on that.

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that you can complain about costs on that scale if you want somewhere secure.

Nat at the Piston shop (google or search for it here) offers this service, though if I recall correctly it's around the same price you mention, or perhaps even one hundred or two more per month. That's for bigger bikes however, so perhaps he will offer you a discount if it's just a small scooter or something. The benefit is that he runs a motorcycle repair shop, so one can expect him to give it a small spin every now and then.

I just got offered a great deal by www.chiangmai-storage.com

I think i will take him up on the offer. Nice and easy I can give him a call when i come to Thailand and he will deliver my motorbike and collect it when I go. Reasonable price, seems to be a proper set-up. Run by a farang. Better than leaving it with the thai family i am friends with, they have quite reckless teenage sons and i dont want them near it. The farangs i know in CM mainly live in condos.

Edited by BuffaloRescue