Good Quality, Large Size Crash Helmet Chiang Mai

BuffaloRescue

Hi

I need a decent crash helmet, xxl +? size.

I cant afford a 20,000 baht Shoei/Arai

Im looking for a kind of western standard helmet, like a Nolan or like that - as you would be able to buy in australia for $100-150

I currently have a 200 baht Sonic helmet as its the only one that i could find that fits but its still a bit tight and im sure it would be next to useless in an accident.

Any idea where to find a quality, but not luxury crash helmet in CM. Ive got a dirt bike but im not really sure i want the off-road helmet with goggles as most of my riding is on-road. I had a helmet like this once and was riding along and a wasp hit me in the face and got caught between my cheek and the helmet inside very painful! I was thinking about trying to find one of those full face ones where the whole front bit lifts up, or like that. Oh and i definately dont want a tinted visor, which most of the Thai made ones seem to have, i guess because they look cool LOL, but terrible for riding at night

Also - any other xxl + size protective motorbike gear available in CM? Jacket, trousers etc. Stuff with kevlar.. or pads, i dont know too much about it. Again would be looking for fairly cheap but functional stuff not paying top dollar for fancy brands. I drive slowly but still ... little thai guy comes off a bike and slides a bit. 120kg farang comes off... rolls, broken bones, neck etc. Fingers crossed

Thanks

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Yes.

At Nyom Panich in the small shops attached to they`re motorbike service sections. Both at the branch near the airport and in Sanpatong.

Prices are around 1000 to 1500 baht, some better quality or stylish helmets maybe a little more, but under 2000 baht. They also sell all the fancy motorcyclist jackets and trimmings.

One point is, make sure they have a good supply of spare visors as after a time these may become scratched, clouded or cracked before the actual helmet wears out.

Sorry, I have no idea whether or not they stock these helmets in extra large sizes? But usually what they do not have in stock, they will order for you.

Nothing to lose by having a look.

PS: These are high quality for Thailand and also have the part that protects the chin, something like pictured below, and in lots of other styles and colours.

post-110219-0-64452600-1364580742_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I've got a couple of these: http://crsaddlebags.com/helmets.html

They do mail order, or you can visit their shop in Chiang Rai.

This looks good, all the proper gear.

Problem is for me living in Chiang Mai, the thought of having to travel all the way up to Chiang Rai is rather off putting and I always like to first try on the helmets to ensure they fit, so I wouldn`t be very keen on chancing buying one on mail order.

Yes, would be fantastic if they are any outfits like this in Chiang Mai?

There is a shop on the ground floor of Panthip Plaza that carries some excellent motorcycle helmets and other gear. If they do not have a particular size of helmet in stock, they can get it in a matter of days. At least some of the gear is more expensive than what the OP is looking for, but I think they also carry less expensive gear too.

"Real" (brand name) helmets are sold at the shop half way down Chang Moi Road on the right next to the bicycle shop.

These are good quality and meet some international safety standard. 1500 - 3000 Baht.

I got Scoyco body armour from a shop 3west of Pantip Plaza, on the north side of Sridonchai Road opposite Suriwong Book shop. Not sure of their largest size though they may be able to order in.

I'll second the recommendation for CR Saddlbags. I looked all over for a shop like that last year in CM but couldnt find one. I wanted some higher quality rain gear. CRS had what I wanted but did not want to go to CR. Sent e-mails (professional, same-day response) and talked to the owners wife (I think) on the phone a couple of times. Nice people. They would ship it to me and said if I didnt like it I could return it and they would refund the price. I trusted them but it didnt matter because when the stuff arrived (1 day delivery) it was exactly what I wanted.

Thumbs up for CRS

There are some great shops right in ChiangMai

Zeromet on ChangPuak

Just turn left at the big market outside the moat ChangPuak Gate

A little ways down on the right you will see the two story store

with all the helmets & gear

http://zeromet.tarad.com/?lang=en

Also the usual spot across Suriwong Book Store stocks many brands in

large sizes

Both places sell LS2, Real,Bimola etc.

Also you can try Kawasaki Chiangmai outside Chiangmai gate on the moatthey stock many & prices are quite good.

Lastly CNX Motogear on Chiangmai Lamphun road after the intersection & before Miguels

a hundred yards or so on the right.

You can find helmets & gear at these places for 2500-5000 baht that are good quality

Also if you go thru Chiangmai gate across the street from Kawasaki. There is a new place

right inside that street straight across the gate. They sell AGV helmets.

The K3 goes for 6300-6900 I think?

Edited by mania