What Happened To My Multiple Entries Visa?

I hold a multiple entries education visa which needed and got extension yesterday. I now have this "to keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving thailand" stamp in my passport and am confused. Is it a generic stamp? I am going to leave the country to Cambodia next week and am now worried my multiple entries might not be valid anymore.

Edited by ragamuffin

Get a re-entry permit before leaving and they will be there when you get back if not you will get 30 day stamp on air arrival and 15 day stamp upon land arrival back in Thailand. Easy solution to a non issue

If you obtained an extension of stay it will end on any exit of the country so you should obtain and use a re-entry permit for any travel. You did not need a multi entry ED visa if you intended to extend.

I don't get that, sorry. My ED visa was initially worth 90 days and multiple entries. It got extended. Doesn't that mean the multiple entries got extended as well? What else than multiple re-entry permits are the multiple entries I paid for in the first place?

Edited by ragamuffin

No, your visa did not get extended. Your permitted to stay period extended. When you received the extension of stay it canceled the multi of the visa. You are required to have a re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand and return and still have the permitted to stay period you received at the extension. You should not have applied for an extension of stay until near the date your visa expires because the extension wipes out the multi aspect of the visa.

You could still use your multiple entry visa instead of getting an extension but you would have to make border runs every 90 days. Getting an extension of stay does not make the visa invalid.

If you want to keep your extension valid you must use a re-entry permit.

If you only have a 90 day extension a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) is the only viable option because the permit will only be valid for those 90 days.

If on a 1 year extension the multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) would be a good choice if you plan on several trips.

Edited by ubonjoe

I got the extension because my visa ran out that very same day and I'll be leaving for good mid of May when the term ends. I don't understand this system :). Anyway, the plan is to go to Cambodia next week and return to Bangkok from Hanoi by plane around 20.4. I'll then leave Thailand on 11.5. No problem because I'll get 30 days when entering Thailand by plane anyway and they'll last me until my flight back home on 11.5., correct?

Was it your visa that expired or your permit to stay? If it was your visa you could of made a border run the day before the expiration date and gotten another 90 days.

A 30 day entry by air will be fine for your travel plans.

Edited by ubonjoe

My uni told me my visa was about to expire and I should see immigration. They set up a letter to confirm my period of study will not end before my intended flight back home and I got an extension of stay permitted which I in my naivity thought to be an extension of my visa. That's why I was confused about the "re-entry permit required" stamp. Ah well, nice to hear that my plans will work out anyway. Sure I won't get into trouble?