North Korea Moves Missile As World Watches

webfact

What worries me is that my daughter and I are flying into SK on our way back to LA on May 1. Yep... May Day. I just hope that it does not wind up being the thing the pilot of our plane shouts out as NK launches something at us! We are on Korean Air as well! Oh Christ!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NK's are really so sure of themselves, just like Saddam was and remember how long his regime lasted! They have a nuclear bomb that they have let off uderground and have no conception of what happens when it goes off above the ground, they have not seen the damage it causes and all their tiny explosions were smaller than Hiroshima, much smaller. They seem to be spoiling for a fight and in some ways I think the US would like the opportunity to end this once and for all, before they can send missiles to the US mainland, it would also be a lesson to other would be's in the middle east, I hope it does not come to a conflict but its racheting up for one, I am glad its not on my doorstep or flight path. Common sense is something NK seems to be short of, like most things there.

I think the biggest fear whcih is avoiding publcicity (and subsequent panic) is that they have already smuggled bombs into a city or two and can detonate it in place.

• Like 1

if it starts i just hope that SK/US has the guts and or balls to finish it, so that there is no ongoing crap of men being deployed and killed because no one had the heart to finish it in the 1st place....

Finishing it may require the death of millions of Koreans. The North will target civilian areas and most likely use biological and chemical weapons.

The North Korean population is brainwashed and in a cult like state. it will sacrifice itself for the country if need be. This would mean that the South Koreans would have to kill "civilians" such as women, children and the elderly. The psychological cost would be heavy.

IMHO what we have here is a similar situation that confronted the allies with japan in WWII. An invasion and victory would men tens if not hundreds of thousands of allied deaths and wounded. The casualties are not worth it. Most likely we will see a pre-emptive strike from the south The USA will try and stay out of this. It will be very difficult for the usual hypocrites at the UN to condemn a southern defensive measure, if there is no US involvement. Let the south and Japan kick the crap out of North Korea.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I know this sounds crazy. But, I think if NK starts something, China will jump in to help stop them.

I think you are correct. A tacit agreement will be made with China that the South an USa do not approach any buffer zone the Chinese set for its border. China would invade and secure a large swath of North Korean territory. It would most likely annex a large part of North Korea.

• Like 1

best post of the day on yahoo news:

We should have listened to Doug MacArthur.

If you don't finish a job, invariably someone will have to go back and clean up the mess.

Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it. Can you say "Boxer Rebellion".

At this stage of the game I do wonder why - given the technology available - surgical strikes are not used to take out the fat kid and a few military leaders . . .

One word

"China"

I'm not so sure, I think China is getting a bit pissed off with NK.......does nothing for them.

• Like 2

Let's just hope it dosent go so far that any one pushes the big red nuke button

On ether side

I firmly belive the USA wont do it unless NK does it first And the consequences would leve a mess not only in NK with terrible results for civilians in and around NK

A world wide ban on Nuclear Powerd weapons

1 big step for mankind in the right direction

I agree with your sentiments but the Genie is out of the bottle and has been for a long time, I think South Africa is the only nuclear power to give them up. I dont think deterence works where North Korea is concerned all they will understand is where did that come from!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

The NK's are really so sure of themselves, just like Saddam was and remember how long his regime lasted! They have a nuclear bomb that they have let off uderground and have no conception of what happens when it goes off above the ground, they have not seen the damage it causes and all their tiny explosions were smaller than Hiroshima, much smaller. They seem to be spoiling for a fight and in some ways I think the US would like the opportunity to end this once and for all, before they can send missiles to the US mainland, it would also be a lesson to other would be's in the middle east, I hope it does not come to a conflict but its racheting up for one, I am glad its not on my doorstep or flight path. Common sense is something NK seems to be short of, like most things there.

I think the biggest fear whcih is avoiding publcicity (and subsequent panic) is that they have already smuggled bombs into a city or two and can detonate it in place.

Thats always a possibilty in any place in the world and it might have happened, but we would be the last to know.

At this stage of the game I do wonder why - given the technology available - surgical strikes are not used to take out the fat kid and a few military leaders . . .

One word

"China"

I don't think China as much as the need to cross all t's and dot all i's. US has to protect US holdings in other countries from possible nuclear strike even if the chance of NK having such capability is 1%. Missile defense is being deployed and set up. This takes a little time, but is extremely prudent.

Experts on morning news really doubted nuclear delivery capability, said it is very unclear who is actually calling shots in North Korea and that the primary concern is 10,000 artillery tubes pointed at South Korea.

China has apparently already denounced NK and apparently wants this fixed so they can go back to being China without heavy US presence in region.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

There is no good reason to use nuclear weapons on NK. Conventional weapons will suffice just fine. If somebody has a cannon, you can still shoot him with a pistol, you do not need a cannon.

• Like 1

I know this sounds crazy. But, I think if NK starts something, China will jump in to help stop them.

I would doubt that very much, one nuclear power in the area is enough and dont forget they hold a lot of US debt and supply a lot goods to the west, its not in there interests to get involved other than sending envoys around and trying to reign in their childish ally?neighbour.

I think the scariest part about all this is how insignificant the media/world is portraying Kim Jong-un. People joke about him.

Scariest part is after our 10 minute missile destruction of key government areas, the world will now have to support the 50+ million people of North Korea. These people have been led to believe that they are the best and everybody else is evil. We will have to setup a new government for them, introduce them to modern things, and send them a lot of food and money. This will take many years. That is the scary part.

The world community is always on the Iranians about their nuclear program but what about NK ? The kind of rhetoric and threats coming out of Pyongyang along with the deployment of these missiles dwarfs anything Iran has ever done. Had they done so it would be raining bombs over Tehran. So why not NK? I think the Korean leasership have clearly made an case for any one or coalition country to conduct a pre emptive stike. And about time I say. A little softening up from the air may well be enough to change the status quo amoungst the Korean people.

Are you serious? Oil

I think the scariest part about all this is how insignificant the media/world is portraying Kim Jong-un. People joke about him.

Scariest part is after our 10 minute missile destruction of key government areas, the world will now have to support the 50+ million people of North Korea. These people have been led to believe that they are the best and everybody else is evil. We will have to setup a new government for them, introduce them to modern things, and send them a lot of food and money. This will take many years. That is the scary part.

The world is not responsible for these people. NK is responsible for itself and it's own actions.

• Like 2

It appears even China has become weary of the N Korean menace.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2969614&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

BEIJING - Pyongyang has allegedly asked Beijing to send them an envoy in order to improve their soured relations, but Beijing turned it down, seen as a warning regarding the regime’s recent warmongering rhetoric.

Multiple sources in Beijing told the JoongAng Ilbo on Tuesday that “North Korea asked China to send a high-ranking envoy at the deputy-ministerial-level, but China rejected it.

“China said ‘if they want an envoy, North Korea should send their envoy [to China] first,’” the source said.

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 1

The world is not responsible for these people. NK is responsible for itself and it's own actions.

LOL. So bomb them, wipe out their government and leave the people to fend for themselves? That's not how it works. China, S. Korea, USA, the UN, Russia and some other nations will have to draw up a plan on how to support the people while their new government is being formed, while the peninsula is being rebuilt, while nuclear installations are being shutdown/sanitized, while food is being shipped in to feed the people, etc.

There's a lot of work that would need to be done afterwards and it will cost billions

• Like 1

I believe they should be taken from the DARK AGE and put in the STONE AGE

If countries were children in a playground, NK is an arrogant, spoiled, bully-ish sort, and simply needs to be punched in the nose by a classmate whom he pushes too far, be given a suitable punishment in school and have his teacher talk to his parents. Then he needs to be watched and make sure his behavior turns around over time. Unfortunately the geo-political playground doesn't quite work as simply as that.

I'm not for warfare, but if this stand-off goes down that path, I at least hope the good guys end it (as Americans did in WWII with the use of nukes) and NK is taught a lesson or two or six or twenty-seven.

Do agree with that.

But you must replace NK by NK leaders.

NK people are already suffering a nightmare for decades.

Definitely. Typed NK but referring to Kim Jong-un and I'm sure more than a few of the top military gang, but still a very small number of people. I think the vast majority of people in NK are completely oppressed and would probably like mothing more than the regime to go down and to join SK....or another free country.

• Like 1

There is no good reason to use nuclear weapons on NK. Conventional weapons will suffice just fine. If somebody has a cannon, you can still shoot him with a pistol, you do not need a cannon.

Ah but with a cannon you can send this kid to his room with a good spanking and still get to watch the 2nd half of the footy game in peace.