North Korea Urges Foreigners In South To Evacuate

webfact

North Korea: Foreigners should evacuate South Korea

SEOUL: -- North Korea has warned foreigners in South Korea to take evacuation measures in case of war.

This comes amid growing concern that the North may be about to launch a missile test.

Pyongyang has been making bellicose threats against South Korea, Japan and US bases in the region.

Japan has deployed defensive anti-missile batteries at three locations in Tokyo, to protect the capital's 30 million residents.

US-made Patriot anti-missile systems have been deployed at the defence ministry and at two other military bases.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22075895

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-04-09

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same joke every year, and at the end they get all the aidpackages again etc.

Instead I would take the chance to finally destroy that sicko government and start caring those starving silently in the provinces and release the opponents of the system, and their families from the prisons and labourcamps.

'A young wife - a long life'

If this little upstart is spoiling for a fight he may want to think about who will come to the party. Mind you it may well be the perfect way to help North Koreans out of their plight, but China is still the monkey in the background full of tricks. Overthrowing NK would be ideal and end the cold ward between Nth and Sth.

I wonder if this is a whole new level of bluster from the DPRK, the next few days and weeks will tell, if its not bluster then all of Asia will cop the fallout, literally.

S. Korea and Japan are the two countries most directly downwind from NK. No matter what happens in Asia, even in prosperous regions, natural habitat is always the loser.

China is more likely preparing to occupy North Korea after their collapse.

http://www.stratfor.com/video/escalating-tensions-korean-peninsula-agenda

That could be the lesser of two evils. If China occupied the mega-basket-case that N.K. dissolves to, after a conflict, then perhaps, at least, China would send some food and blankets over there. One of the biggest effects of armed conflict would be hordes of refugees escaping to China and S.Korea. China would round them up and/or shoot them, whereas the S.Koreans would probably build thousands of apartment blocks to house them. I don't know. There seems to be nothing but bad scenarios on the horizon.

I wonder if this is a whole new level of bluster from the DPRK, the next few days and weeks will tell, if its not bluster then all of Asia will cop the fallout, literally.

S. Korea and Japan are the two countries most directly downwind from NK. No matter what happens in Asia, even in prosperous regions, natural habitat is always the loser.

China is more likely preparing to occupy North Korea after their collapse.

http://www.stratfor.com/video/escalating-tensions-korean-peninsula-agenda

That could be the lesser of two evils. If China occupied the mega-basket-case that N.K. dissolves to, after a conflict, then perhaps, at least, China would send some food and blankets over there. One of the biggest effects of armed conflict would be hordes of refugees escaping to China and S.Korea. China would round them up and/or shoot them, whereas the S.Koreans would probably build thousands of apartment blocks to house them. I don't know. There seems to be nothing but bad scenarios on the horizon.

Not sure China wants or has the ability to provide care for millions of hungry people and perhaps would like to maintain a buffer zone.

China does not like what Kim is doing, but it does have the best back channel into his thoughts. He's reported as depending for advice on his aunt Kim Kyong-hui, the North's most powerful woman, and her husband, Jang Sung-taek, chosen by Kim Jong-Il before his death in 2011 to be the closest consigliere to his son. Jang is the main contact man with the Chinese. It may be that he has reassured the new Party leadership that this is just business as usual: all strut and no strike.

Obama pressuring Xi to talk sense to midget leader, but there's no obvious sign of success there. Xi knows that the saber will rattle loudly but not strike.

It's very unlikely that Pillsbury Doughboy will actually start anything now.

All his bluster and ranting over the past month means that the South Koreans, Americans and Japanese are much readier to respond quickly than if he had simply followed his father's policy of randomly shelling South Korean villages without warning.

Assuming he has more than a dozen brain cells which march in lockstep, he must know that in any serious conflict, his sorry ass will be the first to be vaporized.

• Like 2

This is a very un-balanced individual. Who knows what he's going to do? This from a guy who claims to have made 4 holes in one the first time he played golf. w00t.gif Everyone says, surely he doesn't believe he can take on the US and win. I believe he really thinks he can. Nobody is sure what China would do, as long as we don't cross the Yalu, I believe they would just threaten. But who knows? Some say China doesn't need the territory of NK, but what the hey, they didn't need the territory of Tibet either, did they? I think they would take over NK and shuffel a couple of million people in to there. In my opinion, it would raise the living standards of the NK's and a couple million or so Chinese. So.. coffee1.gif

Edited by metisdead
Font, stop posting when using Itallics.

Instead I would take the chance to finally destroy that sicko government and start caring those starving silently in the provinces and release the opponents of the system, and their families from the prisons and labourcamps.

<< Off topic obfuscation comments removed >>

The 1,400km border between NK and China, and the short stretch to Russia are virtually unguarded. Neither Russia nor China send defectors back. The estimated number of North Korean defectors between 1953 and 2012 is 24,600. That doesn't indicate general unhappiness in NK. I bet a lot more Americans flee their country each single year.

Edited by metisdead

This is a very un-balanced individual. Who knows what he's going to do? This from a guy who claims to have made 4 holes in one the first time he played golf. w00t.gif Everyone says, surely he doesn't believe he can take on the US and win. I believe he really thinks he can. Nobody is sure what China would do, as long as we don't cross the Yalu, I believe they would just threaten. But who knows? Some say China doesn't need the territory of NK, but what the hey, they didn't need the territory of Tibet either, did they? I think they would take over NK and shuffel a couple of million people in to there. In my opinion, it would raise the living standards of the NK's and a couple million or so Chinese. So.. coffee1.gif

If the shit hits the fan, Tubby knows he can't win, but it will do two things: It will reinforce his God-status with his minions, and the countries he attacks (with the US at the helm) will pour aid in to N.Korea. Every country the US has fought - winds up with massive aid packages afterwards.

If the shit hits the fan, Tubby knows he can't win, but it will do two things: It will reinforce his God-status with his minions, and the countries he attacks (with the US at the helm) will pour aid in to N.Korea. Every country the US has fought - winds up with massive aid packages afterwards.

"Every country the US has fought - winds up with massive aid packages afterwards."

Yes, but first some of their leaders wind up quite dead.

Seems Kim Jung-un may be a bit miffed at the lack of progress in negotiations during a back-room meeting with the US back in March. All he got was a boilerplate response and no concessions from the US State Dept and in turn, he is throwing his toys from the pram with his theatrics.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/04/09/exclusive_us_and_north_korea_held_secret_meeting_in_march

This comment of course could be his ''ace up the sleeve.''

When the due date falls the spoilt brat releases a statement telling the world he is bestowing his mercy upon his enemies from the goodness of his mind (small mercies no doubt) as he in reality is a benevolent character.

And as recompense for his merciful actions and decision could the world please send millions of tons of food to North Korea and also large sums of money to this named numbered Swiss bank account details of which will be sent to all nations and governments shortly.

This comment of course could be his ''ace up the sleeve.''

When the due date falls the spoilt brat releases a statement telling the world he is bestowing his mercy upon his enemies from the goodness of his mind (small mercies no doubt) as he in reality is a benevolent character.

And as recompense for his merciful actions and decision could the world please send millions of tons of food to North Korea and also large sums of money to this named numbered Swiss bank account details of which will be sent to all nations and governments shortly.

And if those gov'ts have any smarts, they will forward his bank details on to the Nigerians. biggrin.png

+ 10 clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's only somewhat difficult to cross the Yalu river from N.Korea to China. There's more danger from cold conditions than there is from being shot from one side or the other. Then, the soggy immigrant has to find shelter somewhere, and can't let on that he/she is Korean - which means not speaking to anyone. Same for traveling on train the breadth of China - can't talk or sit with other immigrants - so as to not arouse suspicion. Getting in to Laos is just a tiny bit safer, but the immigrants can't breathe a sigh of relief until they cross in to Thailand - and then hopefully - get their buns down to the S.Korean embassy in Bkk.

There's a place near my house in this little rural town in Northern Thailand, which I strongly suspect is a 'safe house' for N.Koreans. Every few weeks, I see a motley group, strangely dressed, hanging out there. They don't speak to anyone and appear to be very disheveled and out of place. Then they're gone.

It's only somewhat difficult to cross the Yalu river from N.Korea to China. There's more danger from cold conditions than there is from being shot from one side or the other. Then, the soggy immigrant has to find shelter somewhere, and can't let on that he/she is Korean - which means not speaking to anyone. Same for traveling on train the breadth of China - can't talk or sit with other immigrants - so as to not arouse suspicion. Getting in to Laos is just a tiny bit safer, but the immigrants can't breathe a sigh of relief until they cross in to Thailand - and then hopefully - get their buns down to the S.Korean embassy in Bkk.

There's a place near my house in this little rural town in Northern Thailand, which I strongly suspect is a 'safe house' for N.Koreans. Every few weeks, I see a motley group, strangely dressed, hanging out there. They don't speak to anyone and appear to be very disheveled and out of place. Then they're gone.

The problem for the Chinese, is that the endemic people on the Chinese side of the border are ethnically Korean.

Well, the consensus now seems to be emerging that, rather than extracting the usual necessities such as food and oil etc to shut up, the Pillsbury Dough Boy wants N Korea accepted as a nuclear state. The talks last month broke down on this point, almost immediately after which Kim and gang started the bellicose hollering, threatening and jumping up and down arms flapping. The initial reaction of the six parties, not all of which were present at the talks, was that the hollering and threatening was the usual noise to get more aid. Now that interpretation of Kim's course of action since is that this is all about the six parties accepting N Korea as a nuclear state.

Kim and his military had in mind the world's rather casual acceptance of nukes in India and Pakistan, so he figures why not N Korea too.

Trouble is Admiral Locklear, U.S. Pacific-Asia (supreme) commander at Pearl Harbor, testified yesterday before the Senate Armed Services committee that the still wet behind the ears Kim (my words) seems not to have an "exit ramp" from the current approach, which might lead to unforeseen circumstances, i.e., the real danger .If Fatty the Third eventually finds himself with both feet in his mouth, he may be deposed by a coup. Then we would have the worse situation of the generals in control to demand recognition as a nuclear state.

N Korea is not going to be accepted as a nuclear state, not by any of the six parties which means the PRChina too. That's the risk which is why the N Korean demand concerning nukes has no end in sight - certainly no peaceful end unless Kim can find an exit ramp that doesn't yet exist, and which is not yet foreseeable.

The realization is now beginning to set in among the good guys that a dangerous situation is moving steadily toward a precipitous one.

• Like 2

North Korean army 'split' over Kim Jong-un North Korea's army was deeply split over whether to accept the command of Kim Jong-un, a former officer has revealed, giving a possible clue to the tensions lying behind the young leader's calls to war.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9981866/North-Korean-army-split-over-Kim-Jong-un.html

• Like 1

<< Off topic obfuscation comments removed >>

The 1,400km border between NK and China, and the short stretch to Russia are virtually unguarded. Neither Russia nor China send defectors back. The estimated number of North Korean defectors between 1953 and 2012 is 24,600. That doesn't indicate general unhappiness in NK. I bet a lot more Americans flee their country each single year.

Of course the borders you mention are guarded. While I was in the PRC I met several Chinese who were or had been border guards, either in the army or the Armed Police. The Russians incessantly guard their border with N Korea, primarily to seize N Korean defectors.

Both Russia and the PRChina return seized N Korean defectors to N Korea, where most are shot and others are sent to labor camps - all three generations in instances of the latter.

Concerning North Korean defectors between 1953 and 2012, at 24,600, I'd like to know the source of your number because you'd need to include the number of those returned to be shot or all three generations of their family imprisoned in a labor camp. If you are N Korean and everyone around you is dying in yet another famine - boiling tree bark and grass - you'd be more than unhappy. At a PRChinese university where I taught, a young CCP cadre/teacher kept raising contentious issues with me (we shared the same smaller office, reserved only for several select faculty/CCP cadre). One time he asserted that, "Everyone I know from North Korea is happy." To which I said everyone I know from N Korea is happy too - they're in S Korea or the United States. The week before I left he quietly said to me that the PRChina was going the way of the failed former USSR, which took me quite aback coming from him.

You'd lose your bet offered above. The U.S. has had one year of net negative migration in its history, 1931, at the height of the great depression. Every year but one since 1960, (2009) the quota for H-1B visas - highly skilled workers - is realized within the first few days of each January.

The number of U.S. citizens living abroad, such as myself, has long remained between 4-5 million - I get the foreign earned income tax exemption, the foreign housing tax deduction and the foreign general income tax exclusion. A large number of foreign governments have a Tax Treat, er, Treaty with the United States which exempts U.S. citizens/nationals from paying taxes to the foreign government - S Korea is one such country, Thailand and the PRChina are not (Chinese earning more than 6000 yuan a month pay a huge income tax - and for what?) .

The U.S. government's policy encourages Americans to work and live abroad, always has post WW2; the favored place for Americans abroad used to be the oil fields of the Middle East, however, now it is East Asia, from Japan to Singapore. In 2010 the number of naturalized U.S.; citizens was 1,412,712. If you wanna bet on U.S. migration, I'd want you to bet the ranch on it. laugh.png

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

If this were happening in Thailand, TAT would be reporting record numbers of foreign tourists landing at BKK to experience the "fallout!" The Koreans just don't understand these tourism opportunities like the Thai's.

no. that will not happen.

who claims to have made 4 holes in one the first time he played golf?

NK is upset that the US playing war games right in front of their door.