Items To Carry With You In A Bike?

Shurup

I'm a member of an ATV off road club in Canada and on the local forum we have one pinned topic with the same subject.

Biking and off-roading are different activities but there are similarities and most importantly the same idea of being a self sufficient in case of a breakdown.

What tools/parts do you carry with you on a bike when out on long trips?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At a minimum I always carry my Leatherman Wave and tire plugs- I'm putting together a motorcycle-oriented first-aid kit to replace the very basic kit I carry now (which is mostly just band-aids and disinfectant). On a really long trip I might bring my CamelBak as it's easy to become dehydrated here.

• Like 1

When off road always brake and clutch lever and gear change pedal this is the minimum I will carry

Off road is different of course and includes parts that do break occasionally.

On my ATV and in my pickup I carry tire plugs and a small air compressor. On my offroad bike in Canada and on my bike that I just bought here, tires are with tubes unfortunately, I was worrying about getting a flat when making any long trips (just made a trip from Phuket to Chaiyaphoom) but there seems to be a remedy now. There is another topic going on now about fixing tubeless tires and as I learned that slime stuff can be used inside the tubes as well according to this web site: http://www.slime.com/how-much-slime-do-i-need/

I better order some of it before going on another trip.

A credit for the link should go to another poster in "fixing tubeless tires" tread. I will definitely get some of it and will carry with me.

Besides carrying a small tool kit; a little of the stock kit and quality tools added, with no need for tire spoons but I do carry a spare tube. Carry a chain link also, as big bike chains are not commonly stocked out side the bigger cities. I also carried a small first aid kit, and found myself managing to use it on others 1 to 3 times a year. It included some wound cleaning products, small to large wound dressings, gloves, first aid mask, and some strong pain killers.

Yet for my offroad bike for northern Canada I bought a 8 gallon, 30 liters, gas tank this year, which despite looking huge sitting here, is a needed given the distances I plan to travel without the frequent services like SE Asia.

But one different consideration given flat repair availability, food, bed, beer, massage, etc, is always close at hand in Thailand, I found a stash of the most useful item necessary a good idea, Baht. Using gaffer tape I hid away several thousand Baht for just in case situations, though in 130,000 plus km's I never need it.

For road travel, just cash to pay someone to fix the scooter if it breaks.

yes... in addition to doing that I neverthess have a lock, a spare helmet to pick up girls, two raincoats, a small bottle of gasoline.
  • Like 2

After a mountain biking acquaintance died from an Asian Tiger Hornet sting and my wife ended up in the hospital from one, I carry Benedryl tablets to buy some time to get to the hospital. Also carry some basic first aid stuff.

If i am touring outside of bangkok i carry 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 sizes of wrench, a set of allen key, a plier, screwdriver, shock adjuster - all of these are pretty much what honda threw with the bike under seat, a standard very compact and light mid quality tool set.:D -

If i am driving in bangkok, i carry nothing under seat.

Yeah and my smart phone samsung galaxy 2 and a xena lock i carry all the time.

I never carry any tire repair set. Every 10 km there is a tire shop in thailand and most importantly, as long as you have some money in your pocket, you never stay by the road in Thailand long time.:D

But interested on this slime thing. I might pour one on my future pirellis but worried like something might go wrong with the balance of the tires as even 50 grams of lead creates a difference.

Edited by loserlazer

LL, a tier shop every 10 km maybe true in BKK, but I've just made a trip from Phuket to Chayiaphoom (near Korat) and there weren't many shops along the way. If I had a flat in the middle of nowhere with a few hours to the nearest tire shop, no amount of cash on hands would save you from baking under the sun waiting for someone to come and help you... a tire repair kit is a must have!

LL, a tier shop every 10 km maybe true in BKK, but I've just made a trip from Phuket to Chayiaphoom (near Korat) and there weren't many shops along the way. If I had a flat in the middle of nowhere with a few hours to the nearest tire shop, no amount of cash on hands would save you from baking under the sun waiting for someone to come and help you... a tire repair kit is a must have!

Well there wouldn't be on the actual highway or main roads, but all those little turn offs and dirt roads you see, usually go somewhere. ie small villages etc with tire shops.

I usually carry the basic tool kit that comes with the bike and a full set of allen keys. Xena alarm lock and a cable lock for my helmet. Also, in the rainy season, rain gear is a must.

About this getting a flat tyre, i dont carry stuff to repair a flat because unless you have some proper tyre irons which are prettty big and heavy i dont really see how you are gonna get the tyre of the bike in the first place,maybe its just me and i need to learn how ti easily remove tyres with the mi imum of tools, i always just thunk you can coast along a good few km on a flat tyre any way

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Know a couple of hard core, full time, motorcycle travels that carry the tire sealant in a can to get you down the road, does make a mess for the tire repair shop. Be sure to tip, say 100 b instead of the normal 20 b.

i put this shit in the rear tyre of my bike in the uk,just didnt work and as the wheel was spinning round it just threw all the shit out over my tail tidy and swingarm completely ruined my my new undertray and tail tidy just couldnt get the stuff off it.

On the topic of flats, if you are running tubeless tires, if you do flat, stop right away and keep the tire bead on the rim. If not, you will have to find a high volume compressor to re-seat the tire after you fix the puncture. Had this happen in the middle of nowhere a few year back but a pick up ride to a trucker's place got me back in business. The local bike shops won't be able to do anything with a tubeless tire whose bead is off the rim as their compressors are just way to whimpy.

About this getting a flat tyre, i dont carry stuff to repair a flat because unless you have some proper tyre irons which are prettty big and heavy i dont really see how you are gonna get the tyre of the bike in the first place,maybe its just me and i need to learn how ti easily remove tyres with the mi imum of tools, i always just thunk you can coast along a good few km on a flat tyre any way

No I wouldn't want to try to take the tire off of the bike, you would have to carry a stand for that or be willing to lay the bike on its side.

The idea is to fix it on the bike. For tubeless I've always used plugs but as I've learnt yesterday, tires with tubes can be fixed when on the bike as well, using that slime/goop stuff. Of course if a tubeless tire came off the bead and you put that slime in, it won't seal it and will make a mess. Actually I won't use the slime in tubeless, plugs work fine and don't make any mess and probably faster to use anyway.

I carry as little as possible, as one guys said, some cash to pay someone to fix it.

Small Mole, adjustable, an 8,9,10mm Y bar, rear axle spanner, good knife and screw driver double ended. Plastic water bottle or two rather than an expensive bespoke water carrier, plastic bottles are much more versatile, lighter and free, so disposable. An old towel to put over the saddle when the bike is left in the sun and wiping off the many gallons of sweat from various parts of my body.wub.png

For fixing punctures a 4mm drill bit, tube of superglue and stick of rubber sharpened like a pencil. Find the hole, drill out to 4mm, superglue the hole, Superglue the pointed end of the rubber, push in and trim off flush. Superglue used for making O rings, can use it for lacerations too.

I had custom made leather bags for each of my Aluminum side cases. One has tire change items: Plug kit, SafetySeal self vulcanizing plugs, an air pump with gauge, a side stand to go under the right rear spool to get the tire off the ground, extra valve cores and caps, an extra length of chain, master links and chain breaking tool, etc. The other bag has a fairly complete set of tools. I tried to include a tool for every fastener on my ER6n (except a torque wrench). It also carries an assortment of nuts and bolts, tie wraps, grease, locktite, a section of fuel line and fittings, etc. I also carry and extra liter of fuel in a tool tube mounted behind the side case. I don't like to be dependent. I've been all over the country and have yet to encounter a problem I couldn't fix myself -- which surprises the hell out of people that stop to offer help. Of course, my kit is based on tens of thousands of miles of touring the US and acquiring a fix for virtually every problem I have encountered or heard about -- if I can carry it.

Forgot about the electrified tank bag: Schrade multi tool, sunscreen, hand cleaner, ear phones, chargers, lighter, extra cigars, hell, I an't remember what all is in there but it's full

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

On the topic of flats, if you are running tubeless tires, if you do flat, stop right away and keep the tire bead on the rim. If not, you will have to find a high volume compressor to re-seat the tire after you fix the puncture. Had this happen in the middle of nowhere a few year back but a pick up ride to a trucker's place got me back in business. The local bike shops won't be able to do anything with a tubeless tire whose bead is off the rim as their compressors are just way to whimpy.

Good advice. But if you do lose the bead . . . I also carry ratchet tie downs, and, as I said a side stand to go under the rear spool to get the tire off the ground. If you lose the bead, get the tire off the ground, put the tie down strap around it and ratchet it up. It will reseat the bead enough to use a wimpy pump to get air back in. It's a handy little trick.

I had custom made leather bags for each of my Aluminum side cases. One has tire change items: Plug kit, SafetySeal self vulcanizing plugs, an air pump with gauge, a side stand to go under the right rear spool to get the tire off the ground, extra valve cores and caps, an extra length of chain, master links and chain breaking tool, etc. The other bag has a fairly complete set of tools. I tried to include a tool for every fastener on my ER6n (except a torque wrench). It also carries an assortment of nuts and bolts, tie wraps, grease, locktite, a section of fuel line and fittings, etc. I also carry and extra liter of fuel in a tool tube mounted behind the side case. I don't like to be dependent. I've been all over the country and have yet to encounter a problem I couldn't fix myself -- which surprises the hell out of people that stop to offer help. Of course, my kit is based on tens of thousands of miles of touring the US and acquiring a fix for virtually every problem I have encountered or heard about -- if I can carry it.

Forgot about the electrified tank bag: Schrade multi tool, sunscreen, hand cleaner, ear phones, chargers, lighter, extra cigars, hell, I an't remember what all is in there but it's full

Good lord.

You sound like you are going for a war or riding in sahara or amazons:lol:

I toured many times in many countries, never carried anything apart from stock toll set comes with the bike and nothing bad happened until now.

Still i respect you for being dependent just in any case, cheers. But too much for me to drive all these around especially here.

I would like to finish with a Thai proverb: 'Never think about a tiger in the jungle':lol:

Good advice. But if you do lose the bead . . . I also carry ratchet tie downs, and, as I said a side stand to go under the rear spool to get the tire off the ground. If you lose the bead, get the tire off the ground, put the tie down strap around it and ratchet it up. It will reseat the bead enough to use a wimpy pump to get air back in. It's a handy little trick.

Hey, that is a good one. A lot safer than the butane lighter gas inflation method.