Items To Carry With You In A Bike?

Shurup

On the topic of flats, if you are running tubeless tires, if you do flat, stop right away and keep the tire bead on the rim. If not, you will have to find a high volume compressor to re-seat the tire after you fix the puncture. Had this happen in the middle of nowhere a few year back but a pick up ride to a trucker's place got me back in business. The local bike shops won't be able to do anything with a tubeless tire whose bead is off the rim as their compressors are just way to whimpy.

Good advice. But if you do lose the bead . . . I also carry ratchet tie downs, and, as I said a side stand to go under the rear spool to get the tire off the ground. If you lose the bead, get the tire off the ground, put the tie down strap around it and ratchet it up. It will reseat the bead enough to use a wimpy pump to get air back in. It's a handy little trick.

Hey, that is a good one. A lot safer than the butane lighter gas inflation method.

You can also do it with a piece of rope and a stick, put the rope over the tyre, form the loop slightly bigger than the tyre, put the stick in and keep twisting. The same as when Thais are tying things down stuff on your truck. A ratchet strap is easier, but I haven't seen them here, only cam buckles and they don't work..

bloke down our way always takes a frey bentos tinned steak and kidney pie - in case of a breakdown - he's got a nutricious and tasty snack and the empty tin can be used to hold precious drinking water until help arrives.

personally, i'd go for the meat and potato variety, but "up to you" as they say here.......

Edited by properperson

I always carry 2 liters of water and keep a couple cans of sardines in my top case -- a few cigars, too.

Is this because you can't order in Thai? Take a piece of paper with a list of Thai food you like, or a mobile phone with your woman at the end of the line.biggrin.png

You are right though about the Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie.................the tin can be very usefulcoffee1.gif

Water yes at least 2 litres, but 7/11 burgers and a coffee...save weight. A hat too.

Edited by AllanB

I always carry 2 liters of water and keep a couple cans of sardines in my top case -- a few cigars, too.

Is this because you can't order in Thai? Take a piece of paper with a list of Thai food you like, or a mobile phone with your woman at the end of the line.biggrin.png

You are right though about the Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie.................the tin can be very usefulcoffee1.gif

Water yes at least 2 litres, but 7/11 burgers and a coffee...save weight. A hat too.

Of course I can order in Thai. But I enjoy riding in the mountains of the north and sometimes I see a beautiful spot out in the middle of nowhere and decide to pull over, sit in the shade and read awhile. Sometimes an unscheduled snack or a cigar is welcome during these interludes. And I thoroughly enjoy these stops. Water is just a plain necessity if you are seriously motorcycling in Thailand. To travel any distance without it is plain irresponsible.

I had custom made leather bags for each of my Aluminum side cases. One has tire change items: Plug kit, SafetySeal self vulcanizing plugs, an air pump with gauge, a side stand to go under the right rear spool to get the tire off the ground, extra valve cores and caps, an extra length of chain, master links and chain breaking tool, etc. The other bag has a fairly complete set of tools. I tried to include a tool for every fastener on my ER6n (except a torque wrench). It also carries an assortment of nuts and bolts, tie wraps, grease, locktite, a section of fuel line and fittings, etc. I also carry and extra liter of fuel in a tool tube mounted behind the side case. I don't like to be dependent. I've been all over the country and have yet to encounter a problem I couldn't fix myself -- which surprises the hell out of people that stop to offer help. Of course, my kit is based on tens of thousands of miles of touring the US and acquiring a fix for virtually every problem I have encountered or heard about -- if I can carry it.

Forgot about the electrified tank bag: Schrade multi tool, sunscreen, hand cleaner, ear phones, chargers, lighter, extra cigars, hell, I an't remember what all is in there but it's full

Fantastically comprehensive.

Er, where do you keep your clothes and toiletries?

Clothes and toiletries go in the aluminum side cases in water proof stuff sacks. Plenty of room with the tools and water. And I ALWAYS carry full rain gear (top case). Amazing how cold you can get when soaked and riding for a few hours at 100+ kph, even when the air is warm.

I have add-on waterproof canvas expansion bags that strap onto the tops of the aluminum side cases. Sometime I put them on and pack in hot water maker, french press, coffee cup and fresh ground coffee one side and a box of wine, cheese and crackers on the other.

I toured the US and Canada for over 8 months straight (some 30,000 miles), and learned to enjoy the road. At least here, I don't have to carry cold weather gear and have foregone the camping gear, with the abundant guest houses everywhere.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

ticketmaster, i spent some times on teh road as well and it is always great to stop where you like and relax and eat something etc.

I know how you feel about it and i missed those days a lot wandering.

I got so used to the wanderlust with that 8 months on the road in the US and Canada, I was pretty depressed, literally, when I stopped. Then I joined the Peace Corps and ended up here with a wonderful wife. I still miss it. I'm building a house now and have no time, but constantly have the itch to jump on the bike and disappear for a couple of weeks.

• Like 2