Bangkok: B T S Flooded After Heavy Thunderstorm

webfact

BTS flooded after heavy thunderstorm
By Coconuts Bangkok

bts.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The floors of several BTS train cars were covered by water after a severe thunderstorm hit Bangkok earlier today.

Facebook user Tang Siripatra took a photo of the flooding and shared it to her account roughly one hour ago. The picture has already been re-shared almost 3,000 times, raising a series of concerns both related and unrelated to the photo’s content.

BTS riders are worried about their safety, specifically whether or not a loose power cable will risk electrocuting waterlogged passengers. Meanwhile, another group of commentators is freaked out about the abnormally harsh weather.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/04/11/bts-flooded-after-heavy-thunderstorm

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-11

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I just dream it??? As if break jerking and rumble stops aren't enough already,... what did the BTS authorities buy in train compartments, that are LEAKING????? LEAKING??????

Are those train compartments so China cheap????

Btw the link in the article doesn't work can anyone fix this???

Edited by MaxLee

With the split bar in the middle, looks like one of the chinese carriages on the Silom line.... Any idea which station allowed such a gap between doors and station roof that the guttering above the door couldn't handle it?

But... SH.... no leccy near the floor anyway....

• Like 1

Did I just dream it??? As if break jerking and rumble stops aren't enough already,... what did the BTS authorities buy in train compartments, that are LEAKING????? LEAKING??????

What is break jerking? Is it some kind of dance, like break dancing?

• Like 1

In a way yes,... and in other words, it's a way of saying the BTS doesn't stop the right way, but rumbles 3-6 times uncomfortably,...

Those who know , know that the Chinese supplied BTS trains sets are absolute rubbish. One more proof of it .

Wait until the High Speed Trains are comingw00t.gif
That means compartmental genocide....giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif Edited by MaxLee

whistling.gif Related to this somewhat, and also caused by the rain and storm there was an about 3 hour power outage on Sukhumvit Road due to a tree branch shorting out power and burning out a power feed on Soi 41 PromPhang.

This occured next to the Tops market on Sukhumvit Soi 41, about 3 blocks from the Prom Phang BTS stairway.

I know the power was out from approx 2:30 to about 5:30 from Soi 39 to at least Soi 45 on Sukhumvit Road, although parts of tha area may have been restored to power slightly earlier. I walked down Sukhumvit Road and myself saw shops with no power from Soi 39 to at least Soi 45 on Sukhumvit Road at about 4:00.

A crew from the electric company removed the tree branch about 5:30 and power was restored at that time,

The Tops market at Soi 41 apparently has a backup generator, because they had power in the market before anyone else in the area did.

I guess that makes sense if you have a several thousand Baht of refrigerated frozen perishable goods in your store for sale in 35 plus degree heat outside and no city electric power available.

Unfortunately most of the smaller Thai stores didn't have the luxury of a backup generator and were without power for about 3 hours.

i am staiyng in a small hotel on Soi 41 PromPhang and had a front row seat for the entire thing from my hotel window.

clap2.gif

"BTS flooded..." headlines becomes "the floors of several BTS train cars were covered by water"

I do not take the BTS often (it is over ground isn't it?), but the wind was powerful enough to blow chairs tables and sun loungers into the pool at my condo, so I do not think it unfeasible for the wind to have carried the rain into the compartments whilst the doors were open?

I don't know whether the rain came in through open doors or not but last year I travelled on the BTS Silom line during a heavy rainstorm. Water gushed in through the air condition or the gap between the two carriages on one of the new Chinese trains. It really gushed in, not just a few drips and within a minute or two there was a huge pool of water in the carriage.

When I got off at Saphan Thaksin I pointed this out the office staff but they weren't in the least bit interested.

There must be some kind of construction mistake in these trains.

"BTS flooded..." headlines becomes "the floors of several BTS train cars were covered by water"

I do not take the BTS often (it is over ground isn't it?), but the wind was powerful enough to blow chairs tables and sun loungers into the pool at my condo, so I do not think it unfeasible for the wind to have carried the rain into the compartments whilst the doors were open?

Well I mean, can the wind be that strong to push the rain water into the BTS compartments?... That must be a really strong wind then.

That's also the major question unanswered???? How the hell did the water get inside of the BTS compartments? Where did it leak from the roofs??? Why did it leak???

Let's have the PTP now form a committee and have the ubiquitous 'experts adjudicate, call for an enquiry from the Ministry of Transport, then have DSI investigate the contract pricing as opposed to the quality of rolling stock supplied and see if the Chinese will honour warranty? rolleyes.gif

You're kidding,... cheap is as cheap as it gets, and if China dominates Asia,... be prepared for cheap products that look good on the surface but are empty in substance, but sold expensively. And Thailand is the perfect place for such Mafia-communism-corruption,...

Before we really launch off on the shoddy Chinese cars, it would be nice to know if this car in fact for sure is one of the Chinese cars. If so, too funny for words.....

Note to self: Do not ride a Chinese high speed train. If they cannot hold water outside, small chance of them staying on the tracks at very high speed.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Chinese quality!

Never mind the quality feel the width.

Chinese mentality.

Great Wall Motor Cars will be invading Thailand to take market share from good old Toyota Vigo and Nissan DMax.

Modern day China doesn't give a monkey's toss about anything apart from market opportunity.

Rampant capitalism, dog eat dog, worse than Britain in the 80's.

Good luck SEASIA v China.

(I live in Beijing. I see it. Not troll.)

Anybody want to try flying in a wide-bodied airplane made in China?

They can counterfeit most things but not when it really matters.

You won't catch me in a Great Wall pickup.

I'd never feel happy in it.

Not because of safety questions.

It just would not move me.

Before we really launch off on the shoddy Chinese cars, it would be nice to know if this car in fact for sure is one of the Chinese cars. If so, too funny for words.....

Note to self: Do not ride a Chinese high speed train. If they cannot hold water outside, small chance of them staying on the tracks at very high speed.

Look at the hand-pillar in the gap where the doors are either side. If you ignore the angle in the picture (Shows 2 on angle) it divides into 3 separate upright pieces. That's a feature in the CSR carriages, not the Siemens ones.

Cheers

Look at the hand-pillar in the gap where the doors are either side. If you ignore the angle in the picture (Shows 2 on angle) it divides into 3 separate upright pieces. That's a feature in the CSR carriages, not the Siemens ones.

Cheers

You are right. After looking at the photo again, I can see that the grab pole that is between the doors splits into three rails. So now just have to wait for zhouzhou to post that this is a great new feature of Chinese cars that allows you to have cool feet.... LOL. Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

And the Chinese will supply the Fast Trains, and the clan will get rich, and, like now, nobody will care coz they'll watch it on their Chinese-made electronic device, and think; It won't affect me.

Edited by Soi Sauce

my guess is that the wet floor has probably something to do with the rain. and not with china.

Refer post 13

"I don't know whether the rain came in through open doors or not but last year I travelled on the BTS Silom line during a heavy rainstorm. Water gushed in through the air condition or the gap between the two carriages on one of the new Chinese trains. It really gushed in, not just a few drips and within a minute or two there was a huge pool of water in the carriage."

Haven't witnessed it myself, but have noticed the jerky brakes everytime (occasionally you see that on the sukhumvit line, but rarely, always on the silom line). Also I remember an article where over 10% of the CSR carriages were not accepted into service when they were delivered because of faults. BTS ended up fixing at their own cost.

Cheers

EDIT - my fault, carriages made by Changchun Railway Vehicles Co Ltd.

Edited by airconsult

This is a well know technique know by the older expats from our old bus riding days. It is a well known fact that all red buses in BKK are fitted with the British made "Jerkometer" and that bus drivers have instructions from the BMA to activate the Jerkometer at least 1000 times a day or they must expect a hefty reduction in their salary at the end of the month. Heavy on/off braking is used to activate the Jerkometer.

my guess is that the wet floor has probably something to do with the rain. and not with china.

Refer post 13

"I don't know whether the rain came in through open doors or not but last year I travelled on the BTS Silom line during a heavy rainstorm. Water gushed in through the air condition or the gap between the two carriages on one of the new Chinese trains. It really gushed in, not just a few drips and within a minute or two there was a huge pool of water in the carriage."

Haven't witnessed it myself, but have noticed the jerky brakes everytime (occasionally you see that on the sukhumvit line, but rarely, always on the silom line). Also I remember an article where over 10% of the CSR carriages were not accepted into service when they were delivered because of faults. BTS ended up fixing at their own cost.

Cheers

you see, a heavy rainstorm again. can you sense a pattern?

Refer post 13

Cheers

you see, a heavy rainstorm again. can you sense a pattern?

I sense you're being very defensive, does that count?

But perhaps you missed when the poster mentioned the water coming from either the aircon or the gap between carriages - not through the door in his remark.

Let's just admit those carriages were cheap for a reason. From what I have been told by people they will be disposed of at 10 years of age, instead of the 30 year lifetime normally counted for rolling stock. Notice that in Hong Kong, instead of replacing their Siemens carriages at 30 years, they had them refurbished and put back into service - they are much more expensive - but there are reasons.

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning that Changchun also had the contract for initial construction on the new carriages for Aust. Sydney Cityrail, finishing touches to be done by Downer EDI. The first test train was late because Chanchun had no experience with heavy stainless steel rolling stock with crash protection, and was rejected because of..

"The defects included; 'Milky' effect windscreens – apparent when under direct sunlight, no padding in the carriage ceilings, cables obstructing the driver's view, poor-quality steel welding as evident in the indents seen on some areas of the carriage exterior, gaps in the plastic moulding, handrails not lining up with stairs"

UNQUOTE

Chanchung is still a young company in the business and learning, I'm sure in 20 years they will be as good as anyone.

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 1

Looking at the picture in the OP I think it's from inside of one of the Siemens carriages. The transparent parts in the doors are of a triangular shape whereas the newer 'chinese' carriages have rounded windows in the doors. Also the beams next to the door are straight in Siemens carriages and are bend inwards on the other.

Looking at the picture in the OP I think it's from inside of one of the Siemens carriages. The transparent parts in the doors are of a triangular shape whereas the newer 'chinese' carriages have rounded windows in the doors. Also the beams next to the door are straight in Siemens carriages and are bend inwards on the other.

Sorry but the centre pole split and the curved poles with the glass are distinctive.

The siemens have a single centre pole and a straight pole with the glass.

I will say I prefer the look of the Changchung carriage interior, but style is fleeting, the question is does it have the same lifetime cost as the siemens.