Linux Or Linux?

Insight

How do you pronounce "Linux" ?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The only proper pronunciation is the one used by Linus Torvalds himself. The name Linux is a derivative of his name, and thus is pronounced like his name. Linus pronounces his name "Lee-noos", so Linux is properly pronounced "Lee-nooks".

A linguistically acceptable pronunciation is based on the Anglicized pronunciation of Linus, which is "Lie-nus". Hence, an acceptable Anglicized pronunciation of Linux is "Lie-nuks".

However, there is a third common pronunciation of Linux, which is "Lin-icks" (or sometimes "Lin-ucks"). This pronunciation has no basis as a linguistic derivative. It does, however, sound more like "Unix", which is probably the reason it came about."

If you want to hear straight from the "masters" mouth then here you go:

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/t...-says-linux.wav

However I've said it wrong for so long, "line-ux" can't see changing now.

Cheers tywais, quality bit of info there...

Been in the same situation you were. I'd hear the Thais pronounce it one way and I'd pronounce it another and figured they didn't have it right. Well, I was wrong - that's why I researched it a long time ago. But I still pronounce it "MY" way. :o

Yes LIN-ux, like Linus.

But the pronounciation is different in French with a fench "u". Same as in "deja-vu".

In thai I suppose it's like in this screenshot (upper right):

Thanks for the Thai version. Just had my wife read it and she pronounced it exactly right and she hasn't a clue what Linux is. :o

The difference is when written in English there are several ways one can pronounce it, but in Thai only one way.

Edited by tywais