Road Accidents Kill 101 In First Two Days Of Songkran Festival

webfact

Normally I would never leave my front door this week, but today had to look at a house for rent in Chiang Mai. Driving the roads was relatively slow I must have narrowly avoided running over at least 10 bikes who illegally crossed the intersection in front of me usually at a high rate of speed and some that swerved in front of me. Can't understand how I managed to miss them, guess the reason for fast reaction time was concern for damage to my car since many/most bikes are uninsured. Also avoided a couple of pickups that deserved to be smashed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised Prachuap is bloody this year. We were doing our final run for provisions and nearly got into 3 separate accidents on Phetchkasem in Pran Buri. It was ridiculous. Guys in trucks swerving from the fast lane to the median, running lights, all of it.

Passed through a few years ago during Songkran, the driving there scared the bejuses out of me AND I'm not too fussed about the driving style in this country.

Figures are BS as according to info on the internet daily death toll from traffic accidents is about 55 a day Nationwide.

It's all a fuss how information is published. If one hundred people already died in the first 2 days of the Song khraM, that means it is biss as usual.

Some hiso's need to be important I guess.

So the chance of dying in a traffic accident is 55 to 60 million or a chance of 1.2 in a million.
Isn't that the same chance for winning the super price in the lottery?
And....do you think you will win that prize in your lifetime? Ok, xxxx happens.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Said it before .. you cannot teach an old Somchai a new trick

Nobody cares what Thai politicians or Thai police say or do

They can both talk about safety this and safety that, but people

are laughing at them and do not care and do not listen to them

Nobody cares about the carnage they cause

Thailand is a me me me land

I am nice an cool in my condo

Have food and water for 7 days

Will leave hibernation on Wednesday

coffee1.gif

Just got back from a day trip, to visit the relatives. There were two police (family members) at the get together, both drunk. I guess they were some sort of volunteers, then they left for duty, a third came, in uniform, he sat for a while and had a few shots, then left for work. No one seemed concerned that they were drunk, since they could still walk, and still drive a car. Before we arrived, there were some urgent phone conversations, seemed that they couldnt get any whisky in town, so wanted us to stop and get a few bottles. The 7 didnt sell, so we had to go to a mom and pop store, so they saved the day!! hahaha. On my way back home, (no, I didnt drink) one motor bike just missed me, and one pick-up nearly clipped me, since he didnt know I was on the. Didnt see any accidents, but in the dark, there could have been a few that were in the bushes. I didnt want to drive today, but of course, the gf doesnt understand why it can be dangerous, and cant plan ahead, and go a day or two earlier.

Gosh..........well I never! coffee1.gif

Saw something tonight that was interesting.

In Hua Hin, a cop that stopped to chat with fellow revelers tried to get back on the pillon side of the bike and completely fell off...while the bike was still.

Obviously, cop was hammered. But when he fell, peopke wanted to laugh but didn't....sort of a held back laugh.

Eventually, a few Swedish guys helped the cop back on his bike and he fell off again....

T.I.T.

• Like 1

^^ We were sitting at a red light today, saw a group of youngsters on motorbikes with no helmets speed away from the junction. There was a police box there. One policeman was getting irritated with this, saw another group of youngsters with no helmets on waiting at the red light across the junction. He went back to the police box, got a heavy stick, at least a meter in length and at least 30 centimeters in diameter, and proceeded to walk across the junction toward these youngsters and pointed his stick at them, to pull over, they did. The light turned green and as I proceeded through the junction he was busy dealing with them. This was in outer Bangkok though.

30 centimetres in diameter????

That's about a foot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

SONGKRAN
Two-day death toll exceeds last year's
Wattana Khamchu
The Nation on Sunday

30204028-01_big.jpg
A motorcycle is one of a few vehicles seen near Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- 101 killed and 838 injured; drunk driving and speeding main cause of accidents

With 101 deaths, the cumulative road toll in the first two days of the Songkran holiday period remained higher than the same period last year, despite fewer road accidents, Road Safety Centre reported yesterday.

Apart from the 101 deaths, 838 people were also injured in 791 road accidents, according to the centre's record between Thursday and Friday, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Interior Panadda Diskul told a press conference.

Panadda said most accidents - about 39 per cent - were caused by drunk driving, followed by speeding 22 per cent. Therefore, authorities would strictly enforce the laws against drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol and over speed limits.

The first two days of last year's seven-day campaign to reduce road accidents during Songkran saw 88 deaths and 890 injuries in 824 accidents, he said.

Kanchanaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan had the highest number of deaths - six each. Chiang Mai had the most injuries (34) and most accidents (32). No death was reported in 26 provinces.

On Friday alone, 465 accidents killed 62 and wounded 496.

He said as most of the revellers had already arrived in their respective provinces and begun celebrations there, the authorities would adjust their safety measures, looking at more secondary roads in the provinces between today and tomorrow. The centre also told the Metropolitan Police Bureau to strictly control drunk driving and speeding, especially at night-entertainment establishments because there was no traffic jam in the capital.

As many as 118,854 drivers have been arrested at checkpoints across the country for not having a valid licence and for failing to wear a helmet after police stopped 698,968 vehicles.

In an attempt to control alcohol consumption during Songkran, the Public Health Ministry has punished 57 vendors, according to Dr Saman Futrakul, director of the Disease Control Department's Office of Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Consumption Control Committee.

He said yesterday that the ministry had inspected 145 vendors in Nonthaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Lamphun and punished 57 of them for offering special promotions and discounts for alcoholic beverages, selling alcoholic beverages to juveniles aged under 20 and selling them during prohibited periods of the day and at prohibited places, such as petrol stations and pharmacies.

Saman said: "This was obviously against the laws."

Those who offered special promotions and discounts could face up to a Bt500,000 fine and/or a year's jail term. Vendors selling alcoholic beverages at prohibited places would be fined Bt10,000 and/or six months in jail; those selling them to youth under 20 would be fined Bt20,000 and/or jailed for a year and those selling during the prohibited periods would be fined Bt4,000 and/or jailed for two years.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-14

It matters not a jot, but for what it's worth the soi where I live was turned in to a race track yesterday for about 3 hours by a gang of idiot motorbike boys and their hangers on.

It was drunken mayhem and madness.

The soi is well known and a major thoroughfare between the Sukhumvit and Sri Nakharin roads.

The police were called a number of times by different local residents.

Did they come? What do you think?

As I wrote at the beginning of my post, it matters not a jot.

Edited by arthurboy

It matters not a jot, but for what it's worth the soi where I live was turned in to a race track yesterday for about 3 hours by a gang of idiot motorbike boys and their hangers on.

The soi is well known and a major thoroughfare between the Sukhumvit and Sri Nakharin roads.

Good chance to throw a bunch of tacks on the road when they aren't looking. Weed the garden.

So the chance of dying in a traffic accident is 55 to 60 million or a chance of 1.2 in a million.Isn't that the same chance for winning the super price in the lottery?And....do you think you will win that prize in your lifetime? Ok, shit happens.

You increase the odds to one in ten when you decide to get in a car.

Sent from my Phone.

Good chance to throw a bunch of tacks on the road when they aren't looking. Weed the garden.

I like how you think.

Said it before .. you cannot teach an old Somchai a new trick

Nobody cares what Thai politicians or Thai police say or do

They can both talk about safety this and safety that, but people

are laughing at them and do not care and do not listen to them

Nobody cares about the carnage they cause

Thailand is a me me me land

I am nice an cool in my condo

Have food and water for 7 days

Will leave hibernation on Wednesday

I am sure the Ministry of Propaganda will already be working on the wording of official statements for next week and all that's left will be the creative accounting when the final figures are known

how many die on a non holiday ?

After last year's carnage the head of a road safety organisation complained the government only went through the motions at New Year and Songkran whereas it should be 24/7, 365. I believe they have 10 year plan in place now, LOL.

In the past the " real PM " Thaksin would, as appropriate, tag an extra day onto the holidays to allow for an extended break but the body count for that day, weekends etc were not counted in the Songkran total as although holidays they were not official holidays ! Lise, damned lies and Thai stastics

In Hua Hin, a cop that stopped to chat with fellow revelers tried to get back on the pillon side of the bike and completely fell off...while the bike was still.

Obviously, cop was hammered. But when he fell, peopke wanted to laugh but didn't....sort of a held back laugh.

Eventually, a few Swedish guys helped the cop back on his bike and he fell off again....

T.I.T.

Now that's what I call " Community Involvement " !

• Like 1

T.I.T.

Now that's what I call " Community Involvement " !

LOL clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Having had to work yesterday in Sukhumvit Soi 11, the mayhem there was insane. Getting to it from Sukhimvit Soi Nana Nua (3), it was choked by people blocking the road from both sides, cars parked and blocking the feed lane in from New Petchaburi Road, with Police also throwing water and drinking in uniform. Into Soi 11 and dumb Farang criss-crossing the streets in front of (thankfully) slow moving traffic - with total disregard to anyones safety, bars overflowing with drunks of many nationalities, Thai motor cycles guys racing each other, not one wearing a helmet, and police riding past (with helmets) but doing nothing about it. Tuk Tuks a major target with buckets of water (not water pistols) being turfed directly over drivers and passengers causing more than one to stall and block traffic until it could be pushed out of the way. There were a few bumps by vehicles with drivers either too busy watching the stupidity or getting frustrated so giving the vehicle in front a 'push'. By 0100 this morning the drunks were falling out of the bars, fights were prevalent in a few locations in the lower end of the street but the water throwing had stopped. Welcome to Songkran, who in their right frame of mind thinks this is a 'celebration' worth a toss?

• Like 1

After last year's carnage the head of a road safety organisation complained the government only went through the motions at New Year and Songkran whereas it should be 24/7, 365.

What country doesn't step up road enforcement during celebratory holidays where more cars and drunks are on the road?

Edited by Nisa

The last few years has seen about about 8,000 deaths per year or about 22 a day on average.

Pffffffffttt....yeah right!

Even official figures speak of more than that!

...but I guess, it is not so bad, as it does not only happen in Thailand, right?!

If you want to live in a sanitised over regulated, beurocratic world where you can't break wind without taking a test first then go back home to your collective countries (of which may I remind you, you have left)

T.I.T

Without proper sex education in school early mortality is the only form of birth control, death on the roads is an exceptable check & balance scheme, so while you reside in this country, live with the danger, stay indoors or go home!!

Stop whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is interesting that countries can fight wars for freedom and accept huge loses both of soldiers and civilians as well as financially all in the name of freedom. But a few hundred deaths over the holidays and some people want to give up their own and other freedoms even though it won't solve the problem.

If you people don't like the freedom and self awareness and responsibility one need to take of themselves in a less developed nation then they really should go back to their nanny state. Thailand is already moving too quickly in that direction for my tastes and imagine the complainers now that there should be more enforcement will be the same ones complaining in the coming years about how Thailand used to be so much less rigid and government controlled.

• Like 2

If you want to live in a sanitised over regulated, beurocratic world where you can't break wind without taking a test first then go back home to your collective countries (of which may I remind you, you have left)

T.I.T

Without proper sex education in school early mortality is the only form of birth control, death on the roads is an exceptable check & balance scheme, so while you reside in this country, live with the danger, stay indoors or go home!!

Stop whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is interesting that countries can fight wars for freedom and accept huge loses both of soldiers and civilians as well as financially all in the name of freedom. But a few hundred deaths over the holidays and some people want to give up their own and other freedoms even though it won't solve the problem.

If you people don't like the freedom and self awareness and responsibility one need to take of themselves in a less developed nation then they really should go back to their nanny state. Thailand is already moving too quickly in that direction for my tastes and imagine the complainers now that there should be more enforcement will be the same ones complaining in the coming years about how Thailand used to be so much less rigid and government controlled.

Freedom is great until someone else's reckless often illegal and socially unacceptable behavior effects me. Edited by Thai at Heart

The last few years has seen about about 8,000 deaths per year or about 22 a day on average.

Pffffffffttt....yeah right!

Even official figures speak of more than that!

...but I guess, it is not so bad, as it does not only happen in Thailand, right?!

Those are the official figures and published by the Department of Land Transport http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php

Since 1999 the highest year (2003) saw just under 15,000 and the last three years the highest (2011) was under 8500.

Been there yesterday on soi Sukhumvit 71... a real nuisance those bikers and their noisy modified bikes!

Not to say the idiocy of people waiting for bikers to splash them with water!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

WHO figures are over 3 times higher.

No they are not if you compare year to year and consider the numbers above represent dying at the scene and that is exactly what we are comparing here. Holiday death tolls don't include people who die 30-days out as does the WHO numbers. The 8000 figure represents the last 3-years where Thailand has saw a dramatic drop in road deaths. WHO is very clear to state they provide estimates and in less developed nations they tend to estimate very high to not only compensate for not including those who die within 30-days but also to account for other factors including a general assumption the accounting methods are not right. As you can see by this link (http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/78256/1/9789241564564_eng.pdf) the WHO states that for this year's report (2010) Thailand reported 13,365 (adjusted by WHO to include deaths within 30-days) and then WHO goes onto to estimate a number of 26,312 but are also clear to state they have no confidence level in their larger estimate when it comes to Thailand as they do other many other countries where they provide 95% confidence in their estimate.

The point being is that the poster asked for the number of deaths on a normal day and obviously wanted to compare it to how many more die over the holiday. So, my number of around 8000 is the most accurate estimate since he is not only comparing Thai reported numbers but also die immediately numbers as opposed to within 30-days.

If you want to use the WHO number of 26,312 then this would equate to 71 deaths a day or 142 over 2-days which means that there has been about a 30% drop in the number of deaths the first two days of Songkran than Thailand would normally see on any other days.

Edit: See page 250 of the WHO report or 261 of PDF

Edited by Nisa

After last year's carnage the head of a road safety organisation complained the government only went through the motions at New Year and Songkran whereas it should be 24/7, 365.

What country doesn't step up road enforcement during celebratory holidays where more cars and drunks are on the road?

Stepped up road enforcement is one thing but drunk cops on m/bikes, cops involved in water fights, cops not interested in anything and roadside " safety " campaign workers sitting laughing as water throwers try to knock m/cyclists off their machines is not stepped up enforcement by any definition

• Like 1