Poll Finds 76% Of Thais Sceptical Of Govt's Bt2Trillion Loan Plans

webfact

Poll finds 76% of Thais sceptical of govt's Bt2trillion loan plans
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Most people doubt there will be transparency in the government's plan to seek Bt2 trillion in loans for infrastructure development, and do not believe the loan spending will be optimised, an opinion survey has found.

The survey was carried out by Assumption University's Abac Poll among 2,089 residents of 17 provinces, who are at least 18 years old. The provinces included Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Suphan Buri, Khon Kaen and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Punnatee Isarangkul na Ayutthaya, an assistant at Abac Poll, said yesterday that 76.7 per cent of respondents did not think the government could make the most of the Bt2-trillion loans, while 23.3 per cent believed the government would use the loans to fully benefit the country.

She said 81.7 per cent did not believe the loans would be spent with transparency.

The government is enacting a bill to allow the Finance Ministry to borrow Bt2 trillion for developing transportation infrastructure - but 30.3 per cent of the respondents believed the government should use the loans for developing education first, while 21.9 per cent said the money should be used to stimulate the economy. She said 13.6 per cent said the loans should be spent on agricultural development while the rest wanted the money used for other purposes.

The respondents were also asked their opinions on the current situation in the deep South.

Up to 87.3 per cent said they were worried by the situation because they saw that the violence had intensified.

Punnatee said 33.5 per cent of the respondents thought the violence had intensified because the government was preparing to hold a dialogue with the BRN group, but 29.8 per cent believed the dialogue and intensified violence were not related. The remaining 36.7 per cent of the respondents said they were not sure.

Punnatee said up to 52.9 per cent of the respondents wanted the government to continue the peace dialogue, despite the violence.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-15

My maths tells me that 5% of those surveyed believe that PTP will spend the money "to fully benefit the country" but "did not believe the loans would be spent with transparency." IMHO this group should be labelled the "wishful thinkers" .

Politicians

Poll finds 76% of Thais sceptical of govt's Bt2trillion loan plans

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Most people doubt there will be transparency in the government's plan to seek Bt2 trillion in loans for infrastructure development, and do not believe the loan spending will be optimised, an opinion survey has found.

Good to know that 76% can see through the govt transparency (giggle, giggle) and know what will probably happen (i.e., X-amount of corruption); sad to know this same 76% probably won't raise a stink over any lack of transparency since they probably figure and hope some of the lack of transparency (corruption) will put some baht in their pockets....as long as they get their share....as long as some of that money trickles down to them.

My maths tells me that 5% of those surveyed believe that PTP will spend the money "to fully benefit the country" but "did not believe the loans would be spent with transparency." IMHO this group should be labelled the "wishful thinkers" .

You need a day off oz.

You need a day off oz.

Nope, you do ;)

Punnatee Isarangkul na Ayutthaya, an assistant at Abac Poll, said yesterday that 76.7 per cent of respondents did not think the government could make the most of the Bt2-trillion loans, while 23.3 per cent believed the government would use the loans to fully benefit the country.

She said 81.7 per cent did not believe the loans would be spent with transparency.

The fact is that if 76% do not believe the Government will spend the 2 Trillion wisely then they CAN do something about it. Talk to their Dem MP's, take to the streets and impeach the corrupt cabinet, new elections, blah blah blah, start all over again. But will 76% of Thais do anything....No, and 40 years from now when sat in either the Democratic Republic of North Thailand or the Islamic Republic of South Thailand, they will tell their Grandchildren "you know most of us thought Thaksin was up to something funny, but the 300-500 baht handouts seemed so good at the time"!

• Like 1

I would be surprised if even 25% of the loan money went into the actual projects.

One of my Thai neighbours told me that every government project in Thailand has corruption payments factored in and that the percentages have gone up but this is only for politicians and civil servants who sign off on the contracts. Then comes the corner cutting by suppliers and other contractors to maximise their profits.

If one of your Thai neighbours told you, then it must be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! wai2.gif

• Like 1

I would be surprised if even 25% of the loan money went into the actual projects.

One of my Thai neighbours told me that every government project in Thailand has corruption payments factored in and that the percentages have gone up but this is only for politicians and civil servants who sign off on the contracts. Then comes the corner cutting by suppliers and other contractors to maximise their profits.

If one of your Thai neighbours told you, then it must be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! wai2.gif

working for provincial government i would believe her more than a foreigner speculating

• Like 2

So am I the only one who thinks the population at large is missing the point? If 76% disbelieve the Govt then why the xxxx are they still running the country committing the cardinal sin of throwing the entire country into a 50 year debt? And these people are voters? T.i.T.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

Seems as if slowly but surely the general population is coming to see what this 2 trillion loans is really intended for.

Numerous government ministers agencies have been clamouring for a slice of the pie from this project and that project, all the proposed projects according to the hyperbole from the ministers agencies are to be initiated with the next six to nine months.

Amazing start time, no concrete plans , no studies, no actual tendering process as yet, remember of course that these large scale projects need at least two years of forward planning followed by the tendering process which in itself is not a remarkably swift process followed by the awarding of the tender for the project to actually get to the ground breaking stage.

In my opinion and I am sure many other share that opinion the only processes in place are the fast financial tracks to the puppet master of this current maladministration, his family and their brown nosing acolyte who will indeed be laughing all the way to the bank.

However the consequences for the man and the woman in the street for goodness knows how many years time will indeed be far from a laughing matter, the people of Thailand will be crying in agony under the pain inflicted by the debt bondage created by this 2 trillion baht loan scam scheme for many a decade to come.

The whole programme has the transparency of a lead eye patch.

I am led to wonder looking back in time at the Hopewell project (indeed an unfortunate name for that project) that possibly the Hopewell pillars are just the beginning foundations of Thailands '' Temple of Folly'' regarding the mega projects that at this moment are in the dream stage,

Methinks that this current dream is going to become a nightmare as time progresses unless of course common sense prevails and the international loan providers step in and oversee the assorted projects to safeguard their money and the Thai peoples financial future.

And just think, only 50 years to repay the debt. By that time one can only guess where the "overly" wealthy slime will be residing.

So am I the only one who thinks the population at large is missing the point? If 76% disbelieve the Govt then why the xxxx are they still running the country committing the cardinal sin of throwing the entire country into a 50 year debt? And these people are voters? T.i.T.

This plan wasn't part of PTPs electoral campaign, so the voters had no say on it at all.

Besides that I think it's important to make clear that this is a 5.5 trillion Baht scheme, not 2 trillion. The other 3.5 trillion is nothing but interest on the 50 year loan. I wonder how much more support for this scheme would drop if the point was emphasized.

Edited by AleG

This plan wasn't part of PTPs electoral campaign, so the voters had no say on it at all.

Besides that I think it's important to make clear that this is a 5.5 trillion Baht scheme, not 2 trillion. The other 3.5 trillion is nothing but interest on the 50 year loan. I wonder how much more support for this scheme would drop if the point was emphasized.

Don't forget the added cost of finishing the projects when the 2.2T credit card is max'd out.

I wonder if the person providing the 2 Trillion loan is Thaksin? After all with all the money that must have slid his way from the rice pledging and 'water Management plan' (whatever did happen to that 300 Billion + ?) he could find that sum I am sure, with a few buddies from Dubai as well. He then enjoys a rather handsome return on his money and when Thailand Plc goes bust quite soon and can't repay he in fact ends up owning the whole country and everything in it! Mission complete!! Now where are the good investigative journo's when you need them.

Little wonder the public are skeptical when you combine big money, politicians and civil servants. Now you see it and now you don't because it's hidden in my bank account

........or, not very well hidden in my house!!

Why does ABAC do all the polls?

Because they all ready have the results on file.

Ask them to do a pole on any thing and tell them what the results you want to hear are and done deal.

Was any one else a little curious about two complettly different poles being lumped together?

Welcome to Thailand the hub of what do you want a poll to say we have it ready for you.

I wonder if the person providing the 2 Trillion loan is Thaksin? After all with all the money that must have slid his way from the rice pledging and 'water Management plan' (whatever did happen to that 300 Billion + ?) he could find that sum I am sure, with a few buddies from Dubai as well. He then enjoys a rather handsome return on his money and when Thailand Plc goes bust quite soon and can't repay he in fact ends up owning the whole country and everything in it! Mission complete!! Now where are the good investigative journo's when you need them.

Same place as when you don't need them.

Mostly in school learning how to be a investigative journalist when they graduate.

Out of curiosity does any one think the Nation would hire one when they graduate? Or is that against company policy?

It might depend where the poll was conducted