A Phone For A U.s.a. Holiday?

macahoom

Maybe someone can advise me, please?

I have no interest in phones. I don't know anything about them; my current phone cost 790 Baht.

I'm British, live in Thailand and am travelling to the U.S.A . with my Thai girlfriend for a six week holiday.

I have come to the conclusion that it might be wise to equip myself, while in the U.S., with a phone that can do emails and make calls, including international calls.

I have a MacBook Pro at home, if that has any relevance.

What are my options?
  • Like 1

buy prepaid phone -Walmart is a good choice(check their website), bring your Mac and use SKYPE for video calls or regular call,it's mostly free.

Lefty

Okay, thanks for the suggestion to bring my Mac. That's out of the question - too big and only a nuisance.

Had a look at the Walmart website. I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of it.

Can I buy a Walmart prepaid phone that has email capability? And, at the end of the holiday, will the phone work back in Thailand?

Sorry for being such a Clampett.

buy prepaid phone -Walmart is a good choice(check their website), bring your Mac and use SKYPE for video calls or regular call,it's mostly free.

Lefty

Okay, thanks for the suggestion to bring my Mac. That's out of the question - too big and only a nuisance.

Had a look at the Walmart website. I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of it.

Can I buy a Walmart prepaid phone that has email capability? And, at the end of the holiday, will the phone work back in Thailand?

Sorry for being such a Clampett.

Don't mean to be rude, but it you can't understand the walmart site, you're going to have problems with this. Took me 30 seconds to find this:

http://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/sim-card-activation-kits/3944_542371_1072335_1097404/?browsein=true&browsein=true&_refineresult=true&ic=48_0&path=0%3A3944&ref_values=125875&povid=cat1072335-env460189-moduleA020213-lLinkLHN3SIMCards&fromPageCatId=1072335&catNavId=1072335

What kind of phone do you have? Specific model number and make. We'll help you figure out the bands it supports. Most phones here support several bands and will work in the US.

Does your current phone do email? If not, you'll need to buy a new one. Either here or in the US. I've found phones are cheaper there, but not for used ones. Walmart does sell phones that are unlocked and quad band.

Here's one from Walmart that might do the trick, but there are many others:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Hauwei-Ascent-II-Prepaid-Cell-Phone/20933060

Your current phone needs to be a QUAD (4) Band Phone. Most phones sold in Thai are 3 band and will not work in the USA. Go to walmart and purchase one of their phones, that will give you what you need. They work similar to here, with the buy time scheme. It will save you lots of headaches. When you get done with the phone, you throw it away. Ps. The phone from walmart WILL NOT work in Thailand.

Edited by XINLOI

I've been looking as well. I want something I can use in any part of the continental US.
I don't intend to use it much, it's mostly for the sake of having a phone number.
I'm not concerned about email etc on the phone (I have a tablet and can check email via wifi),
so maybe this is not for you. But this looks best so far
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/prepaidphones.html

I'd go with the cheapest phone (Alcatel for $15)
then go with the $0.10/min plan
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/voice/sku4950226.html

These links are part of putting together a package, so may not work directly, you may have to follow the website's "Configure your phone" link.

So the total cost at startup will be $40. When you leave the US the phone will be useless. I don't see any sort of expiry on the prepaid credits, and even though they ask for a zip code, I don't think if I have to tell them when I relocate.

Both T-Mobile (1900MHz) and AT&T (1900 MHz) offer pre-paid SIM-based GSM services, both directly and via MVNOs like StraightTalk, Simple, et al.

So any unlocked phone which accepts a SIM and suports 1900MHz (tri- or quad-band) would work for voice and 2G data. 3G data adds a layer of complexity, but 850/1900 MHz 3G would cover most on AT&T or even T-Mo, in major markets.

I use T-Mo.

I am not familiar with prepaid phones with bundled services, with/without SIMs, on GSM or CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) networks but understand these are widely availble.