Getting Around

mrmojo

Hi

I will be travelling for 2 months around thailand and would like some help with regards to getting around by bus, train and boat, I don't want to use internal flights if at all possible.

Firstly I will be flying into Bangkok and then plan to travel down to surat thani to get the boat across to koh samui then onto koh phangan then koh tao and a boat back to the mainland, surat thani if possible.

I then plan to travel south to satun and get the boat across to langkawi, in malaysia for around 10 days. I will then get the boat back to satun and then I will heading north. I think I then need to head to trang to get to ko lanta, then back across to krabi. Then a boat to phi phi for a few days then onto Phuket. I then need to get back to Bangkok for my return flight home, I would like to travel by bus or train but I don't believe there is a train line from Phuket.

Any assistance would be a great help as it is my first time to Thailand, and want to see as much of this beautiful country as I can.......Thanks

c

Hi

I will be travelling for 2 months around thailand and would like some help with regards to getting around by bus, train and boat, I don't want to use internal flights if at all possible.

Firstly I will be flying into Bangkok and then plan to travel down to surat thani to get the boat across to koh samui then onto koh phangan then koh tao and a boat back to the mainland, surat thani if possible.

I then plan to travel south to satun and get the boat across to langkawi, in malaysia for around 10 days. I will then get the boat back to satun and then I will heading north. I think I then need to head to trang to get to ko lanta, then back across to krabi. Then a boat to phi phi for a few days then onto Phuket. I then need to get back to Bangkok for my return flight home, I would like to travel by bus or train but I don't believe there is a train line from Phuket.

Any assistance would be a great help as it is my first time to Thailand, and want to see as much of this beautiful country as I can.......Thanks

Go to www.thaifocus.com/travel/train and you will find the following:

Train departs Bangkok Arrving at: Phuket

# Depart-Arrive Train No Class Adult Child Remarks Select

01). 10:50p - 08:00a Sprinter # 039 2nd class Air Con seat 55.51 38.55

02). 7:15p - 06:40a Sp Express # 085 1st class Air Con sleeper 91.37 63.45 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

03). 7:15p - 06:40a Sp Express # 085 2nd class Air Con sleeper 59.75 41.49 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

04). 7:15p - 06:40a Sp Express # 085 2nd class Fan sleeper 55.51 38.55 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

05). 6:20p - 05:54a Rapid # 167 2nd class Air Con sleeper 59.75 41.49 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

06). 6:20p - 05:54a Rapid # 167 2nd class Fan sleeper 55.51 38.55 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

07). 5:35p - 04:44a Rapid # 173 2nd class Air Con sleeper 59.75 41.49 rail/bus combo arr Surathani departs 08:00 arrives Phuket 11:30

The best busses all go at night (and go faster) same with the trains.... not too much to see!. Plus your neighbors are gonna close all the blinds to keep the temperature down and sleep.

You could do the local local busses but wow !you'll burn up ... and take a LONG time to get anywhere!

I really do reccomend getting the lonely Planet guide and giving it a GOOD read!

I hope your trip is great! I really do reccomend rethinking the bus thing for the long trips! Along the highways there's just not that much new to see! (Yes I know ..everything will be new! but not after the the first 2 hours) I love riding the trains but have always just had a daypack with me so I could walk up to the dining car and have a beer and talk to people. The trains will give you a different view than the busses.

So even knowing what you said in your original post .. I'd fly the long legs ... then get to your destination and hop busses to just random places. Or maybe catch the train to Hua Hin ... then get on one of the VIP charter busses that come through on the way to Phuket or wherever. The best outfitted/comfortable busses almost always travel at night. Losing a whole day and being a bit travel worn from bus travel (even VIP Bus) has never really been worth it compared to being at a base of operation and able to go out and look with your possessions all secure in your hotel

Edited by jdinasia

I'd say the taxi is not the cheapest way, but it's the most fast and comfortable, also, travelling in BKK, I would recommend the BTS and for really long trips (i.e. Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc.) you should better travel by plane...

the last time I was there (2005) the flight to Samui was about 2000Bt first thing in the morning and last thing at night. plus taxi to airport, Govt AC LUxury bus overnight to Samui arrive 7am is about 950Bt inc. Ferry. So if you're on a budget the bus is ok, but if time is of the essence pay the extra and fly down.

As for the rest, they're pretty straightforward smaller sections, just don't go to an agency, they rip you off and treat you like crap, best to plan a little ahead and make your way to the local bus and train stations.

Then definitely fly from Phuket to BKK on Air Asia!

Have fun

:o

Following suggestion:

Train to Chumphon,Boat Koh Tao,Boat Koh Phangan, Boat Koh Samui, Bus Satun,Boat Langkawi, Boat Satun, Bus to Krabi, Boat to PhiPhi,Boat to Phuket(or Bus from Krabi direct to Phuket),don't know the current situation/reconstruction of PhiPhi.

For the route Phuket to BKK take the plane,one-way by one of the various airlines.

The Bus takes 12-13hours and the few baht saving are not worth the risk.Bustravel on long distance , special Phuket -BKK is no fun at all and outright dangerous.

Apart from Lonely Planet I personally like books from the RoughGuides.