How Do You Ask For No Msg In Your Food In Thai?

carlspencer

Numerous and creditable studies recently have shown that SMG doesn't harm your health

what so ever, and there is nothing to worry about from consuming MSG in moderation,

further more, those studies have shown that 2 groups of diners could not tell the different between

dishes prepared with MSG to the dishes prepared with out,

and on a lighter note, if you do not wish to have MSG in your food you should ASK FOR MSG TO

BE ADDED TO YOUR FOOD, as normally, Thai cooks do the opposites of what I have asked for.

You must work for the food industry........MSG is cumulative, to start with you might only feel drowsy after eating, followed by mood swings, once you've reached this point, don't drink alcohol as it will trigger mean spiritness or worse, followed by shortness of breath, headaches, chest pressure, palpitations, hot flash, confusion and finally you've hit the big time, when your heart is mis- firing, scary Sh#t, arrhythmia.no fun at all full on panic mode. I've counseled more then 40 people (all expats) who've spent too many years eating the poison and the most receent was a 32 yr old marathon runner, who flew to Singapore thinking his heart was kaput. The food industry is all about money be careful what you consume. JP

Evidence ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate#Safety

" In a study performed by Tarasoff and Kelly (1993) 71 fasting participants were given 5 g of MSG and then administered a standard breakfast. There was only one reaction, and it was to the placebo in a self-identified MSG-sensitive individual.[18] In a different study done by Geha et al. (2000), they tested the reaction of 130 subjects who reported sensitivity to MSG. Multiple DBPC trials were performed and only subjects with at least two symptoms proceeded. Only two people out of the whole study responded in all four challenges. Because of this low prevalence, the researchers concluded that the response to MSG was not reproducible.[24]"

Mai sai, pong shoe rod (crap).

Mai ... tone ending up

sai ... tone ending up

pong ... tone neutral (even)

shoe ... tone neutral (even)

rod ... tone ending up

As for me ... I just get 'wacky dreams' if they pile it in, or I eat it late at night.

Hope that helps.

Right! But I think the first three syllables should be falling, low and rising tones. ไม่ใส่ mâi sài (not add) is such a common phrase in the context of ordering food, I'd expect to get away with using the wrong tones. But to improve the chances of being understood, try to nail the distinctive rising tone on the third syllable ผง phŏng (powder). In my experience, a rising tone is distinctive enough that Thais can easily hear it, whereas a foreigner's attempt at high or even a neutral tone can often be lost, particularly since the foreign speaker is likely to be speaking quite slowly.

ไม่ใส่ผงชูรส mâi sài phŏng chuu rót [falling low rising neutral high], literally "not add powder raise flavour."

A related (and for me, more important) weapon to avoid dining stress is ไม่ใส่พริก mâi sài phrík [falling low high], literally "not add chili!" This allows me to receive a dish with (hopefully) zero chili, to which I can carefully add chili, myself. I do like hot Thai food, but for locals, the amount of chili that produces a hot taste will produce pain for me, so the strategy is to make the food with no chili, and then control how much I have, by adding all of it myself. Hence I rely on mai sai phrik.

I have used the more common instruction ไม่เผ็ด mâi phèt [falling low] (not hot), but here, "not" will be interpreted relatively: they'll prepare the dish with an amount of chili that they consider to be less than "hot," but which sometimes still leaves me eating with a grimace.

In trying to nail the tones at the real-world pace of a hectic food shop, things will probably stay on track if mai sounds somewhat falling, and phrik sounds somewhat high. A crucial thing to keep in mind is that all of these vowels are short. If, for example, we stray into mouthing a long maai, we've changed the meaning to measure or count. In a food shop, I'd expect that could be confusing.

Edited by aboctok

^^ Thanks for that clarification ... I'll just mention to my Thai girlfriend that she speaks Thai incorrectly ... laugh.png

Maybe she does...

... but more likely you're hearing it incorrectly.

Most of the tones you quoted were indeed wrong.

Too too true.

Mai ... tone ending up

sai ... tone ending up

rod ... tone ending up

As for me ... I just get 'wacky dreams' if they pile it in, or I eat it late at night.

Hope that helps.

Right! But I think the first three syllables should be falling, low and rising tones. ไม่ใส่ mâi sài (not add) is such a common phrase in the context of ordering food, I'd expect to get away with using the wrong tones. But to improve the chances of being understood, try to nail the distinctive rising tone on the third syllable ผง phŏng (powder). In my experience, a rising tone is distinctive enough that Thais can easily hear it, whereas a foreigner's attempt at high or even a neutral tone can often be lost, particularly since the foreign speaker is likely to be speaking quite slowly.

ไม่ใส่ผงชูรส mâi sài phŏng chuu rót [falling low rising neutral high], literally "not add powder raise flavour."

A related (and for me, more important) weapon to avoid dining stress is ไม่ใส่พริก mâi sài phrík [falling low high], literally "not add chili!"

assuming that ผงชูรส is the correct way of writing it, then the phrase should be spoken without neutral tone. notice the absence of any accent symbol unlike in ไม่ใส่ where the first syllable has a rising tone and the second one with a falling tone. the important thing with ผง is the aspirated "p" sound.

Broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, inosinate, guanylate, and autolyzed yeast extract, parmesan

cheese and a host of other foods are all sources of monosodium glutamate (MSG).

No they're not. What they contain is L-glutamic acid. MSG doesn't occur in nature.

555. Organic chem 101: Double-check your conclusions before you release them.

me being a diabetic type 2, read this point about MSG

MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. So many diets these days are concerned about the Glycemic Index of foods and yet none of them address the fact that MSG and free glutamic acid stimulate the pancreas to release insulin when there doesn't even have to be carbohydrates in the food for that insulin to act on. The food industry has found their own "anti-appetite suppressant". It's a convenient way to keep consumers coming back for more. The blood sugar drops because of the insulin flood. And you are hungry an hour later. Sound familiar?

Who has positive experiences?

• Like 1

Mai ... tone ending up

sai ... tone ending up

rod ... tone ending up

Hope that helps.

A related (and for me, more important) weapon to avoid dining stress is ไม่ใส่พริก mâi sài phrík [falling low high], literally "not add chili!"

assuming that ผงชูรส is the correct way of writing it, then the phrase should be spoken without neutral tone. notice the absence of any accent symbol unlike in ไม่ใส่ where the first syllable has a rising tone and the second one with a falling tone. the important thing with ผง is the aspirated "p" sound.

You've been learning some very funny Thai. In the phrase ไม่ใส่, the tone mark has a different meaning in each syllable, because "ม" and "ส" are low and high class consonants. First syllable is falling; second is low. The tone mark is ไม้เอก mai aek [high low].

Absence of tone marks does not indicate neutral tone, because Thai consonants are not all treated the same. True, there is no tone mark for ผง, but this syllable should be pronounced with rising tone.

Edited by aboctok
  • Like 1

Reassurance that they will omit MSG from your order is no guarantee that it won't contain MSG. There is a curious oriental habit of saying yes to everything you request but failing to comply with the request. It's easier to say yes because it makes the customer happy. Try insisting that your eggs are protein free and see what happens! I'll bet they say "yes no problem". smile.png

ORIENTAL?! are you REALLY using that word in 2013? did you just step out of a time machine from the 1940s or something? oy vey. or rather, aii-yaa.

and how about the "round eye" (farang) tendency to, oh, I don't know, dump huge amounts of MSG in virtually every processed food out there?

sorry, this MSG hysteria just kills me, since it's only directed at Asian food; everyone ignores the fact that every time they eat a store-bought or restaurant

packaged snack food like potato chips

salad dressing

Ritz cracker

ANY meal in any fast food restaurant

...that they are consuming TONS of MSG. and hmm, guess what? they don't come down with mysterious dry mouth, sweats, and headaches from those sources...only from the, um, "oriental" ones...

• Like 1

^^ Thanks for that clarification ... I'll just mention to my Thai girlfriend that she speaks Thai incorrectly ... laugh.png

I'm sure your girlfriend speaks Thai just fine, haha...it's you who can't hear basic Thai vowel sounds correctly!
  • Like 1

Funny this question....I normally ask for 'extra MSG' when I order food....wai.gif

Ok, and some folks will put five heaping tablespoons of white sugar in their coffee or, like my hill tribe g.f's - will spoon copious amounts of dried red pepper on anything that isn't supposed to be sweet. You ingest whatever you want, but do me a favor, if you're cooking for me, please don't put any MSG in my food. When it's my time to cook for you, I won't put any poisons in your food. Do we have a deal?

P.S. anyone reading this thread - that has kids: Please please please (do I sound like James Brown?) Please don't expose them to MSG. It jangles their brain cells and contributes to hyperactivity, and tires them out when the effects wear off. You don't have to believe me, but just do it anyway, on a hunch or whatever. We're here to assist kids growing up. Let's not feed them stuff which is debilitating. Please?!

Mai sai phong shou roat or bahasa Indonesia jangan pakai fichin ya..................MSG is extremely dangerous to many people. I've had 2 major MSG attacks, once in Bangkok in 2002 and again in Nakorn si Thammarat in 2008. The Nakorn Dr's strapped a heartbeat monitor on me for 24 yrs and the results we're frightening with my heart racing to high's 155 beats per min to a low of 40 beats. The Dr wanted to put me on beta blockers but in the end I refused instead changed my diet to poached eggs and steamed white rice and slowly started to feel better. I've had numerous MSG illness, you name it, I've had it. I finally moved to Bali which is pretty much MSG free and have fully recovered. On the other hand it is an amazing drug as it can truly convince you that something that is garbage tastes good and that is worth money, barrels of money...........JP

''MSG is extremely dangerous to many people''

And so are peanuts.

But not to me....

Funny this question....I normally ask for 'extra MSG' when I order food....wai.gif

Ok, and some folks will put five heaping tablespoons of white sugar in their coffee or, like my hill tribe g.f's - will spoon copious amounts of dried red pepper on anything that isn't supposed to be sweet. You ingest whatever you want, but do me a favor, if you're cooking for me, please don't put any MSG in my food. When it's my time to cook for you, I won't put any poisons in your food. Do we have a deal?

P.S. anyone reading this thread - that has kids: Please please please (do I sound like James Brown?) Please don't expose them to MSG. It jangles their brain cells and contributes to hyperactivity, and tires them out when the effects wear off. You don't have to believe me, but just do it anyway, on a hunch or whatever. We're here to assist kids growing up. Let's not feed them stuff which is debilitating. Please?!

All the africans that I know back home, if I mention to them to cool down on the use of MSG, forget it. It is part of their ways of cooking.

And they do not complain of headaches or high heartbeat.. Mind you it appears to make them gain some weight....wink.png

And for Japanese and Chinese more of the same. And most of them are small. But I did see some sumo wrestler, yes I have.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

This last fact is of little interest to the Japanese - like most Asians, they have no fear of MSG. And there lies one of the world's great food scare conundrums. If MSG is bad for you - as Jeffrey Steingarten, the great American Vogue food writer once put it - why doesn't everyone in China have a headache?

• Like 2

This last fact is of little interest to the Japanese - like most Asians, they have no fear of MSG. And there lies one of the world's great food scare conundrums. If MSG is bad for you - as Jeffrey Steingarten, the great American Vogue food writer once put it - why doesn't everyone in China have a headache?

In China the use "VETSIN", same same but different to MSG

In China the use "VETSIN", same same but different to MSG

Vetsin is MSG, same same, and no different.

http://www.eatoutzone.com/MonosodiumGlutamate.htm

. Even if they don't add MSG in its powdered form you will still get some from the MSG in sauces like Maggis seasoning , oyster sauce etc. MSG also occurs natually , altho in a slightly different chemical composition, in Tomatoes, prawns and other shell fish, oranges and many other fruit, vegetables and foods.

There have been numerous debates about MSG on TV before and the end result is usually to agree to disagree.

In a previous life my ex wife and I ran Thai restaurants in Sydney and we never added MSG because

• we would like to believe a good cook doesnot need to add a flavour enhancer like MSG
  • The majority of our customers were innercity, well educated professional people who in main choose not to have MSG so it was a draw to our restaurants.
  • The risk of inducing a reaction is too great and being sued (altho we had insurance ) is not worth the risk.

It is interesting to note the correlations between asthma, migraine, gout, arthritus and other common ailments . It is however very random and many people have different tolerances to MSG and i believe in many cases that your intolerance can be lessened by using small doses of MSG rather like homepathic medicine. It is my theory and no way scientifically based and probably the only way to find out what reactions MSG causes is to take a log the reactions .

Where in SYdney were they Xen?

Reassurance that they will omit MSG from your order is no guarantee that it won't contain MSG. There is a curious oriental habit of saying yes to everything you request but failing to comply with the request. It's easier to say yes because it makes the customer happy. Try insisting that your eggs are protein free and see what happens! I'll bet they say "yes no problem". smile.png

ORIENTAL?! are you REALLY using that word in 2013? did you just step out of a time machine from the 1940s or something? oy vey. or rather, aii-yaa.

and how about the "round eye" (farang) tendency to, oh, I don't know, dump huge amounts of MSG in virtually every processed food out there?

sorry, this MSG hysteria just kills me, since it's only directed at Asian food; everyone ignores the fact that every time they eat a store-bought or restaurant

packaged snack food like potato chips

salad dressing

Ritz cracker

ANY meal in any fast food restaurant

...that they are consuming TONS of MSG. and hmm, guess what? they don't come down with mysterious dry mouth, sweats, and headaches from those sources...only from the, um, "oriental" ones...

I have, on a number occasions throughout my life, used the word "oriental" without ever having been assaulted,arrested or even admonished! I may be from another era but you perhaps, are from another planet.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni
  • Like 2

Mai sai phong shou roat or bahasa Indonesia jangan pakai fichin ya..................MSG is extremely dangerous to many people. I've had 2 major MSG attacks, once in Bangkok in 2002 and again in Nakorn si Thammarat in 2008. The Nakorn Dr's strapped a heartbeat monitor on me for 24 yrs and the results we're frightening with my heart racing to high's 155 beats per min to a low of 40 beats. The Dr wanted to put me on beta blockers but in the end I refused instead changed my diet to poached eggs and steamed white rice and slowly started to feel better. I've had numerous MSG illness, you name it, I've had it. I finally moved to Bali which is pretty much MSG free and have fully recovered. On the other hand it is an amazing drug as it can truly convince you that something that is garbage tastes good and that is worth money, barrels of money...........JP

Yikes. The doctors in Nakon Thammarat don't give in. Imagine being strapped to a heart rate monitor for 24 yrs.

Better than the TV doctors. There's a doctor here who proclaimed that "there's no such thing" as a reaction to MSG. He was very firm about it, considering that it's an issue of some contention. He must be a physician in that field. In which case, he must be right, and you can start spooning MSG onto your poached eggs. Imagine how good a poached egg will be, when it's been enhanced! ^o^

Edited by aboctok

"I will also love to hear about other people's opinion on MSG,"

It tastes lovely tongue.png

Google MSG and you find out just how harmful it is to your body. Cheers sick.gif

All the africans that I know back home, if I mention to them to cool down on the use of MSG, forget it. It is part of their ways of cooking.

And they do not complain of headaches or high heartbeat.. Mind you it appears to make them gain some weight....wink.png

And for Japanese and Chinese more of the same. And most of them are small. But I did see some sumo wrestler, yes I have.

Maybe not everyone in Thailand and China have headaches, but many people do. It's quite possible that hundreds of millions of headaches may have something to do with MSG, but if suffering individuals are not aware of that cause and effect, then they may not attribute it to MSG. If Africans or Japanese want to eat MSG, so what? That's their choice. People drink whiskey and others mainline heroin, those are all choices. Yet, when I go to a Thai restaurant, MSG is mixed in with the food. That is not my choice. I either eat the food and feel the ill-effects, or......?

Just because some people, or even a majority claim to feel no ill-effects from some substance, does not mean that substance has no ill-effects for everyone. I feel like I'm explaining this to 4 year olds. Here's an example: I used to own property in California that had a lot of poison oak growing on it. I pulled the stuff out by the roots, and never got any ill-effects. Most of my friends were very sensitive to poison oak. Yet, because it didn't bother me, should I then admonish my friends as stupid or weak or whatever, for not being able to rub poison oak leaves on their skin?

People who say 'what's the problem - Get over your hang-up' ....with MSG - to people like me who suffer tangible ill-effects from it - are no different than me saying to people who suffer from poison oak, "Get over your problem. It's all in your head....." or whatever. Can't the MSG boosters understand that some people (and a majority of farang) suffer ill-effects from MSG, even though the boosters themselves (or Chinese or Africans or whatever) don't. Try this: Ask twenty or thirty of your farang friends whether they would choose MSG on their food, if given a choice. Incidentally, in Thailand, a restaurant worker will never, I repeat NEVER, in a thousand years ask a customer whether they want MSG. ....same with loud music, but that's a different topic.

Maybe not everyone in Thailand and China have headaches, but many people do. It's quite possible that hundreds of millions of headaches may have something to do with MSG, but if suffering individuals are not aware of that cause and effect, then they may not attribute it to MSG. If Africans or Japanese want to eat MSG, so what? That's their choice. People drink whiskey and others mainline heroin, those are all choices. Yet, when I go to a Thai restaurant, MSG is mixed in with the food. That is not my choice. I either eat the food and feel the ill-effects, or......?

Just because some people, or even a majority claim to feel no ill-effects from some substance, does not mean that substance has no ill-effects for everyone. I feel like I'm explaining this to 4 year olds. Here's an example: I used to own property in California that had a lot of poison oak growing on it. I pulled the stuff out by the roots, and never got any ill-effects. Most of my friends were very sensitive to poison oak. Yet, because it didn't bother me, should I then admonish my friends as stupid or weak or whatever, for not being able to rub poison oak leaves on their skin?

People who say 'what's the problem - Get over your hang-up' ....with MSG - to people like me who suffer tangible ill-effects from it - are no different than me saying to people who suffer from poison oak, "Get over your problem. It's all in your head....." or whatever. Can't the MSG boosters understand that some people (and a majority of farang) suffer ill-effects from MSG, even though the boosters themselves (or Chinese or Africans or whatever) don't. Try this: Ask twenty or thirty of your farang friends whether they would choose MSG on their food, if given a choice. Incidentally, in Thailand, a restaurant worker will never, I repeat NEVER, in a thousand years ask a customer whether they want MSG. ....same with loud music, but that's a different topic.

So you are saying that all these chinese and japanese people are all ill, but are unaware that it comes from MSG?

>"I will also love to hear about other people's opinion on MSG,"

Google MSG and you find out just how harmful it is to your body. Cheers sick.gif

I have, many times in the past.

Not very harmful, it is if one is intolerant to it. Peanuts are more harmful, for allergic people.

Many people might be afraid of ingesting MSG, while sitting in a restaurant enjoying the most cancer causing substance...nicotine.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

A single intake of monosodium glutamate (MSG) may cause headache and increased muscle sensitivity. We conducted a double-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover study to examine the effect of repeated MSG intake on spontaneous pain, mechanical sensitivity of masticatory muscles, side effects, and blood pressure.

METHODS:

Fourteen healthy subjects participated in 5 daily sessions for one week of MSG intake (150 mg/kg) or placebo (24 mg/kg NaCl) (randomized, double-blinded). Spontaneous pain, pressure pain thresholds and tolerance levels for the masseter and temporalis muscles, side effects, and blood pressure were evaluated before and 15, 30, and 50 min after MSG intake. Whole saliva samples were taken before and 30 min after MSG intake to assess glutamate concentrations.

RESULTS:

Headache occurred in 8/14 subjects during MSG and 2/14 during placebo (P = 0.041). Salivary glutamateconcentrations on Day 5 were elevated significantly (P < 0.05). Pressure pain thresholds in masseter muscle were reduced byMSG on Day 2 and 5 (P < 0.05). Blood pressure was significantly elevated after MSG (P < 0.040).

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, MSG induced mechanical sensitization in masseter muscle and adverse effects such as headache and short-lasting blood pressure elevation for which tolerance did not develop over 5 days of MSG intake.

ssociation between monosodium glutamate intake and sleep-disordered breathing among Chinese adults with normal body weight.
Source

Department of Nutrition and Foodborne Disease Prevention, Jiangsu Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanjing, China. [email protected]

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To assess whether monosodium glutamate (MSG) intake is associated with sleep-disordered breathing (SDB).

METHODS:

Data from 1227 Chinese subjects who participated in the Jiangsu Nutrition Study were analyzed. All the participants were examined at two time points (baseline in 2002 and follow-up in 2007). The MSG intake was assessed quantitatively in 2002 and a sleep questionnaire was used to assess snoring and to construct an SDB probability score in 2007. Those within the fifth quintile of the score (highest) were defined as having a high probability of SDB.

RESULTS:

The MSG intake was positively associated with snoring and a high probability of SDB in participants who had a normal body weight but in those who were overweight. A comparison of the extreme quartiles of MSG intake in subjects with a body mass index lower than 23 kg/m² showed an odds ratio of 2.02 (95% confidence interval 1.02-4.00) for snoring and an odds ratio of 3.11 (95% confidence interval 1.10-8.84) for a high probability of SDB. There was a joint effect between MSG and overweight in relation to SDB.

CONCLUSION:

The intake of MSG may increase the risk of SDB in Chinese adults with a normal body weight.

The monosodium glutamate symptom complex: assessment in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study.
Source

Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Considerable debate swirls about the validity of symptoms described by many people after ingestion ofmonosodium glutamate (MSG), and the question has remained unresolved largely because of a paucity of well-designed challenge studies.

METHODS:

We conducted oral challenge studies in self-identified MSG-sensitive subjects to determine whether they had a statistically significant difference in the incidence of their specific symptoms after ingestion of MSG compared with placebo. First, 5 gm MSG or placebo was administered in random sequence in a double-blind fashion. Subjects who reacted only to a single test agent then underwent rechallenge in random sequence in a double-blind fashion with placebo and 1.25, 2.5, and 5 gm MSG. A positive response to challenge was defined as the reproduction of > of 2 of the specific symptoms in a subject ascertained on prechallenge interview.

RESULTS:

Sixty-one subjects entered the study. On initial challenge, 18 (29.5%) responded to neither MSG nor placebo, 6 (9.8%) to both, 15 (24.6%) to placebo, and 22 (36.1%) to MSG (p = 0.324). Total and average severity of symptoms after ingestion of MSG (374 and 80) were greater than respective values after placebo ingestion (232 and 56; p = 0.026 and 0.018, respectively). Rechallenge revealed an apparent threshold dose for reactivity of 2.5 gm MSG. Headache (p < 0.023), muscle tightness (p < 0.004), numbness/tingling (p < 0.007), general weakness (p < 0.040), and flushing (p < 0.016) occurred more frequently after MSG than placebo ingestion.

CONCLUSIONS:

Oral challenge with MSG reproduced symptoms in alleged sensitive persons. The mechanism of the reaction remains unknown, but symptom characteristics do not support an IgE-mediated mechanism. According to Food and Drug Administration recommendations, the symptoms, originally called the Chinese restaurant syndrome, are better referred to as the MSG symptom complex.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) intake is associated with the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a rural Thai population.
Source

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002, Thailand. [email protected].

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Epidemiology and animal models suggest that dietary monosodium glutamate (MSG) may contribute to the onset of obesity and the metabolic syndrome.

METHODS:

Families (n = 324) from a rural area of Thailand were selected and provided MSG as the sole source for the use in meal preparation for 10 days. Three hundred forty-nine subjects aged 35-55 years completed the study and were evaluated for energy and nutrient intake, physical activity, and tobacco smoking. The prevalence of overweight and obesity (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2), insulin resistance (HOMA-IR >3), and the metabolic syndrome (ATP III criteria) were evaluated according to the dailyMSG intake.

RESULTS:

The prevalence of the metabolic syndrome was significantly higher in the tertile with the highest MSG intake. Further, every 1 g increase in MSG intake significantly increased the risk of having the metabolic syndrome (odds ratio 1.14, 95% confidence interval-CI- 1.12 - 1.28) or being overweight (odds ratio 1.16, 95% CI 1.04 - 1.29), independent of the total energy intake and the level of physical activity.

CONCLUSION:

Higher amounts of individual MSG consumption are associated with the risk of having the metabolic syndrome and being overweight independent of other major determinants.

• Like 1

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

A single intake of monosodium glutamate (MSG) may cause headache and increased muscle sensitivity. We conducted a double-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover study to examine the effect of repeated MSG intake on spontaneous pain, mechanical sensitivity of masticatory muscles, side effects, and blood pressure.

METHODS:

Fourteen healthy subjects participated in 5 daily sessions for one week of MSG intake (150 mg/kg) or placebo (24 mg/kg NaCl) (randomized, double-blinded). Spontaneous pain, pressure pain thresholds and tolerance levels for the masseter and temporalis muscles, side effects, and blood pressure were evaluated before and 15, 30, and 50 min after MSG intake. Whole saliva samples were taken before and 30 min after MSG intake to assess glutamate concentrations.

RESULTS:

Headache occurred in 8/14 subjects during MSG and 2/14 during placebo (P = 0.041). Salivary glutamateconcentrations on Day 5 were elevated significantly (P < 0.05). Pressure pain thresholds in masseter muscle were reduced byMSG on Day 2 and 5 (P < 0.05). Blood pressure was significantly elevated after MSG (P < 0.040).

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, MSG induced mechanical sensitization in masseter muscle and adverse effects such as headache and short-lasting blood pressure elevation for which tolerance did not develop over 5 days of MSG intake.

ssociation between monosodium glutamate intake and sleep-disordered breathing among Chinese adults with normal body weight.
Source

Department of Nutrition and Foodborne Disease Prevention, Jiangsu Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanjing, China. [email protected]

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To assess whether monosodium glutamate (MSG) intake is associated with sleep-disordered breathing (SDB).

METHODS:

Data from 1227 Chinese subjects who participated in the Jiangsu Nutrition Study were analyzed. All the participants were examined at two time points (baseline in 2002 and follow-up in 2007). The MSG intake was assessed quantitatively in 2002 and a sleep questionnaire was used to assess snoring and to construct an SDB probability score in 2007. Those within the fifth quintile of the score (highest) were defined as having a high probability of SDB.

RESULTS:

The MSG intake was positively associated with snoring and a high probability of SDB in participants who had a normal body weight but in those who were overweight. A comparison of the extreme quartiles of MSG intake in subjects with a body mass index lower than 23 kg/m² showed an odds ratio of 2.02 (95% confidence interval 1.02-4.00) for snoring and an odds ratio of 3.11 (95% confidence interval 1.10-8.84) for a high probability of SDB. There was a joint effect between MSG and overweight in relation to SDB.

CONCLUSION:

The intake of MSG may increase the risk of SDB in Chinese adults with a normal body weight.

The monosodium glutamate symptom complex: assessment in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study.
Source

Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Considerable debate swirls about the validity of symptoms described by many people after ingestion ofmonosodium glutamate (MSG), and the question has remained unresolved largely because of a paucity of well-designed challenge studies.

METHODS:

We conducted oral challenge studies in self-identified MSG-sensitive subjects to determine whether they had a statistically significant difference in the incidence of their specific symptoms after ingestion of MSG compared with placebo. First, 5 gm MSG or placebo was administered in random sequence in a double-blind fashion. Subjects who reacted only to a single test agent then underwent rechallenge in random sequence in a double-blind fashion with placebo and 1.25, 2.5, and 5 gm MSG. A positive response to challenge was defined as the reproduction of > of 2 of the specific symptoms in a subject ascertained on prechallenge interview.

RESULTS:

Sixty-one subjects entered the study. On initial challenge, 18 (29.5%) responded to neither MSG nor placebo, 6 (9.8%) to both, 15 (24.6%) to placebo, and 22 (36.1%) to MSG (p = 0.324). Total and average severity of symptoms after ingestion of MSG (374 and 80) were greater than respective values after placebo ingestion (232 and 56; p = 0.026 and 0.018, respectively). Rechallenge revealed an apparent threshold dose for reactivity of 2.5 gm MSG. Headache (p < 0.023), muscle tightness (p < 0.004), numbness/tingling (p < 0.007), general weakness (p < 0.040), and flushing (p < 0.016) occurred more frequently after MSG than placebo ingestion.

CONCLUSIONS:

Oral challenge with MSG reproduced symptoms in alleged sensitive persons. The mechanism of the reaction remains unknown, but symptom characteristics do not support an IgE-mediated mechanism. According to Food and Drug Administration recommendations, the symptoms, originally called the Chinese restaurant syndrome, are better referred to as the MSG symptom complex.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) intake is associated with the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a rural Thai population.
Source

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002, Thailand. [email protected].

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Epidemiology and animal models suggest that dietary monosodium glutamate (MSG) may contribute to the onset of obesity and the metabolic syndrome.

METHODS:

Families (n = 324) from a rural area of Thailand were selected and provided MSG as the sole source for the use in meal preparation for 10 days. Three hundred forty-nine subjects aged 35-55 years completed the study and were evaluated for energy and nutrient intake, physical activity, and tobacco smoking. The prevalence of overweight and obesity (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2), insulin resistance (HOMA-IR >3), and the metabolic syndrome (ATP III criteria) were evaluated according to the dailyMSG intake.

RESULTS:

The prevalence of the metabolic syndrome was significantly higher in the tertile with the highest MSG intake. Further, every 1 g increase in MSG intake significantly increased the risk of having the metabolic syndrome (odds ratio 1.14, 95% confidence interval-CI- 1.12 - 1.28) or being overweight (odds ratio 1.16, 95% CI 1.04 - 1.29), independent of the total energy intake and the level of physical activity.

CONCLUSION:

Higher amounts of individual MSG consumption are associated with the risk of having the metabolic syndrome and being overweight independent of other major determinants.

Hunted for a double-like button, but could only find a single. Computer must be broken.

• Like 2

Two recommendations, leave Thailand or cook your own food. Asking them not to put MSG in your food would never work and they will just smile and say OK and do absolutely nothing but serve the food with MSG.

• Like 1