Chinese Tourists Top Songkran Celebrants In Thailand

webfact

Chinese tourists top Songkran celebrants in Thailand
By English News

13662516095877-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, April 18 – About 60,000 foreign tourists, almost half Chinese, entered Thailand through major airports nationwide during the Thai New Year Songkran festival April 12-16, according to the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA).

ATTA executive Thongyoo Suphavittayakorn said China requested landing permission for 427 additional flight arrivals, including 19 chartered services, mainly at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

He said a large number of Chinese tourists will arrive Thailand during the Golden Week – a one-week holiday from May Day in China.

Chinese tourists spend an average of Bt3,500-4,000 per person during their stays in Thailand.

ATTA forecasts an increase in the number of Chinese tourists to Thailand this year from 2.5 million to three million while the total number of tourists should also rise from 22 million last year to at least 25 million this year.

The government’s targeted revenue from tourism at Bt2 trillion in 2015 is achievable, he said.

Russian tourists formed the second largest group to Thailand during the Songkran festival, followed by those from India, Taiwan and Japan. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-18

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting

"Chinese tourists spend an average of Bt3,500-4,000 per person during their stays in Thailand."

I can remember when they figured it out by money spent per day.

The figures are more than likely close but not accurate. My cousin came here for Scuba diving lessons and timed it so after her lessons she would still be here for Songkran. Last year my boy came for the whole month of April, There are a lot of tourists here for the festival that arrived days before it and will not be leaving immediately after it.

'Chinese tourists spend an average of Bt3,500-4,000 per person during their stays in Thailand' How the F*** do you come up with that figure? Is that including there hotel, travel to and from the airport and general living costs.

• Like 1

There are a few things at play here, many Chinese middle class are still relatively poorly paid, around 8-10,000rmb a month, ( about £800-£1000 ). Just being able to get out of the country is a big deal in itself, never mind arriving here and blowing vast amounts.

If you want to see the Chinese elite blow vast amounts, visit HK and Macau.

What we are seeing with the Chinese is a re-run of 1970's UK travel, people venturing abroad for the first time looking like deer caught in the headlights. Within a few years foreign travel will be de riguer and the amount of visitors from China will soar to a volume that you cannot fathom. I reckon by 2020 there will be a minimum of 8 million visitors to Thailand every year.

There's a report in that half of the 40,000 beds in CM were taken by Chinese tourists this Songkran, this new invasion will change the face of tourism. .

• Like 2

There are a few things at play here, many Chinese middle class are still relatively poorly paid, around 8-10,000rmb a month, ( about £800-£1000 ). Just being able to get out of the country is a big deal in itself, never mind arriving here and blowing vast amounts.

What we are seeing with the Chinese is a re-run of 1970's UK travel, people venturing abroad for the first time looking like deer caught in the headlights. Within a few years foreign travel will be de riguer and the amount of visitors from China will soar to a volume that you cannot fathom. I reckon by 2020 there will be a minimum of 8 million visitors to Thailand every year.

There's a report in that half of the 40,000 beds in CM were taken by Chinese tourists this Songkran, this new invasion will change the face of tourism. .

For 5 days only. Not a heck of a lot when you consider they are niot really spending money on tourist attractions.

I reckon by 2020 there will be a minimum of 8 million visitors to Thailand every year.

If the rates keep going like they are now it will be sooner. From 2006 to 2012 the number of Chinese visitors tripled. Last year was about 2.8 Million.

For 5 days only. Not a heck of a lot when you consider they are niot really spending money on tourist attractions.

Give it a chance to develop HD, they were here in high numbers at Chinese New Year too........it took 20 years for the UK package holiday industry to develop......the Chinese will follow the same path over a couple of decades or less.

'Chinese tourists spend an average of Bt3,500-4,000 per person during their stays in Thailand' How the F*** do you come up with that figure? Is that including there hotel, travel to and from the airport and general living costs.

I believe most of the Chinese on package tours travel with everything prepaid, so it's easy to calculate. They generally have little extra money to spend.

The rudest and loudest people I ever seen.

Jeez, I thought us Americans claimed that distinction? Maybe not eh? ... Cool

Edited by Dap
  • Like 2

yup.....they're not familiar with the concept of queueing among other things. Just wait till you see a mob of them drunk. whistling.gif i

I lived in Hong Kong for 20 years and the HK Chinese called the mainlanders " Ah Chan " or country bumkins

• Like 2

Give it a chance to develop HD, they were here in high numbers at Chinese New Year too........it took 20 years for the UK package holiday industry to develop......the Chinese will follow the same path over a couple of decades or less.

I refer you back to your own post where they really don't have that much money.

Just Google the package deals available in China. It is really a case of bums on seats because the deals are ridiculously cheap.

I'm not being contradictory, the numbers will increase massively, I didn't say the spend would increase massively per head. The middle class are still slaves to their jobs, and in many cases slaves to their families. ( that may be an overstatement but many do look after their elders ).

Mao's children are now heading for retirement in big numbers, and these are the people that lived through the Cultural Revolutions, in a way they are the more insular Chinese and least likely to travel. That's not the case of the new generation, they are hungry to travel, and hungry to collect countries that they have visited.

You should see my Facebook page, the amount of Chinese pals I have jetting all over the World is significant, however my pals ( as a statement of fact, not boasting ) are at the higher end of the income scale. They're too busy flying into London, Paris, New York et al, they regard Thailand like Benidorm, leave it to the masses, while they spend fortunes in Harrods.

yup.....they're not familiar with the concept of queueing among other things. Just wait till you see a mob of them drunk. whistling.gif i

Give'em time, once they get out into a different environment, they'll eventually notice & figure out how things work beyond their borders.

Or maybe it will require several blows to the face to learn 'em..... it'll get better either way.

Cleveland, on 18 Apr 2013 - 16:12, said:

Dap, on 18 Apr 2013 - 16:05, said:

AlexDorneles, on 18 Apr 2013 - 09:52, said:

No, some Americans are reasonably well house trained if a little loud. The Chinese are total pigs by comparison. Even the Hong Kong Chinese can't stand the mainlanders because of their vile manners.

How about sending the Americans to China and the Chinese to America then everyone would be happy...Oops I forgot the Russians... Oh okay, just forget them!

Cleveland, on 18 Apr 2013 - 16:12, said:

Dap, on 18 Apr 2013 - 16:05, said:

AlexDorneles, on 18 Apr 2013 - 09:52, said:

No, some Americans are reasonably well house trained if a little loud. The Chinese are total pigs by comparison. Even the Hong Kong Chinese can't stand the mainlanders because of their vile manners.

How about sending the Americans to China and the Chinese to America then everyone would be happy...Oops I forgot the Russians... Oh okay, just forget them!

Don't know if that woud turn out to be anything more than a "pissin' contest". Accomplishing nothin' but certainly accelerating the already wonderful relationship that we two contries enjoy rolleyes.gif

Absolutely !

Rude and uncultured !!

My TGF look at them with disdain , and just muttered "China !".

• Like 1

I can well believe that. I've met plenty of Chinese tourists in CM over the last couple of weeks. Very nice people.

• Like 1

I refer you back to your own post where they really don't have that much money.

The amount being spent is actually per day per trip ... not for their entire trip. The average spend per day has been published a number of times but this article misstates the number as being per trip instead of per day. Countries all over are trying to capture more of the Chinese tourist market these days.

They won't have anything on the drunk mobs of Brits that are vomiting all over Europe. Binge drinking is a national sport in the UK.

If thats all they spend, they must sleep on the pavement, Ha ha High end tourists here we come Ha Ha it costs that for 1 night in a posh hotel --- how do they get bye on that--go and pick pockets ????

Thing is with the Chinese visitors; generally, most of their wonga goes to the big tour companies and the little man on the street (which the 'farang' likes to help out) is left with diddlysquat. As above, sign of the times I'm afraid... I'm headin' south. wink.png

They won't have anything on the drunk mobs of Brits that are vomiting all over Europe. Binge drinking is a national sport in the UK.

You obviously haven't had to many maotai dinners in China have you

• Like 1

The governments targeted revenue from tourism at Bt2 trillion in 2015 is achievable, he said.

They will only need 50 million Chinese tourist for that. happy.png

The Thai government is correctly reading the future and taking the right steps. Chinese, Russian & Indians will form the bulk of the tourists in the future. They may spend much lesser, but the volumes will make up for it. And the money will go straight to the lower economic strata like mid range hotels, street food hawkers etc unlike the western tourist money going only to high end resorts. And as most of them do not frequent bars or prostitutes, this may clean up Thailand's image in the very long run.