Thai Politicians May Be Involved In Elephant Killings: Kaeng Krachan Park Chief

webfact

ELEPHANT DEATHS
Politicians may be involved: park chief

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

Official to seek DSI probe; experts say locals can help protection efforts

PHETCHABURI: -- he chief of Phetchaburi's Kaeng Krachan National Park, Chaiwat Limlikhit-aksorn, will next week ask the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to probe the possible involvement of politically connected criminal gangs in the recent killing of wild elephants in the park.

Meanwhile, experts suggested that restoring the park's elephant habitats and persuading local villagers to help take care of the animals would be a key measure to protect the animals in national parks.

Chaiwat said he was collecting evidence relating to the suspected involvement of criminal gangs in the poaching of elephants and will hand it to the DSI. He said he personally believed that politicians might be involved.

"The elephant deaths have mostly taken place in national parks with large elephant populations. Somebody does not want this issue to be reported via the media, but I want the public to know about this cruel issue. I am not afraid to reveal the truth. Nor am I afraid of being transferred to another area," he said.

He was speaking at a seminar titled "The Elephant Management in National Parks" organised by Kasetsart University.

He also presented a video clip showing a conversation between himself and a confessed elephant poacher who has since become a suspect in an elephant killing in Kaeng Krachan National Park last year.

In the clip, the alleged offender admits being part of an elephant poaching gang. He said he went to the jungle with four or five friends and spent about one or two days each time hunting elephants and taking their babies. To kill adult elephants, he said, his gang would shoot them in the head. According to Chaiwat, wild elephants are killed for parts such as their trunks, tails, sexual organs and even wombs, to produce amulets and sell on the black market, especially online.

There are an estimated 250 wild elephants in Kaeng Krachan National Park. Since last year, about four adult and one baby elephant have been killed there.

Poaching is not the only threat facing wild elephants in the national park; destruction of their natural habitats - especially grasslands - to make way for residential development is also a problem. Only 40 per cent of the areas inside national parks are now suitable habitats for wild elephants, according to Assoc Prof Naris Bhumpakphan, an expert in wildlife biology at Kasetsart University.

To resolve the problems facing wild elephants in the long term, Naris said state environmental agencies should protect their habitats and encourage locals to stop harming the animals and start helping to take care of the elephants' environment.

Moreover, he suggested the government establish protected corridors linking wildlife populations - including elephant groups - that have been fragmented by human activities. Sustainable use of land, both as forests and for residential purposes, is also important for elephant conservation, he said.

Assoc Prof Wutthichai Kapilakarn, rector of Kasetsart University, said his institute would conduct a comprehensive study to find the best way to manage wild-elephant populations nationwide and would submit the results to the government as a master plan for resolving elephant-related problems. A research team will spend about two months surveying the population of wild elephants using unmanned aerial vehicles.

Meanwhile, Chaiwat said he wanted the government to survey the number of elephants currently housed in elephant camps across country, as he had been told by ex-hunters that some camps have been illegally using wild elephants.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-20

• Like 1

This park chief should NEVER have the fear of doing his job correctly, All the powers that be above his station should support him, this is what they pay him for, Isn't it a shame that a decent man should have to report this,and fear losing his job.

The government do NOT deserve good Rangers, Shame on you Thailand,,and as for you park chief--stick at it with all the luck that goes with it----GOOD MAN

Perhaps he needs to learn that throwing out random accusations against those that may be in a position to further a cause is not the best path to improvement

Mr Chaiwat's direct assistant Khun Suriyon has been found guilty on March 10th of this year in Petchaburi court for illegal wildlife possession, removing ivory, genitals and a trunk from a wild elephant and tampering with evidence. Seems nobody in the Thai media reported on that and Mr Chaiwat is silent on the matter as well, even allowing this man to continue working for him as we speak. Now he again points a finger at others far away from himself.

Last year Chaiwat and his boss Damrong Phidej did exactly the same after a Dutch environmentalist and his Thai wildlife rescue group accused the DNP officials of the above mentioned. At that time they did not just point at other "influential politicians" and "Nai Thoon" investors, but they also raided this wildlife rescue center with 150 armed DNP staff, police and army special forces looking for hidden terrorists and illegally kept wild animals. The further threatened to arrest the founder for slander as he did not retract his words on the elephant killings and the alleged involvement of DNP staff members. They never charged him, as we can all see now why, he was right about it!

Mr Chaiwat should show some respect to his current boss and superior and stop sending out nonsense stories that further harm the credibility of his department and let de director-general of the DNP lead the investigation and make press-statements based on the truth and facts.

You are kidding of course.

Your solutions are admirable now if we can just find some corrupt free officials to carry them out.

Not going to happen.

I also find it strange that a man who if ts he is guilty of the statements you make in the context you are putting them would dare to open his mouth about corruption at the government level. I would have thought he would just kept silent and not try to stop the poaching. If I recall correctly it was not so long ago that international pressure had to be brought to bear to get Thailand to do some thing about the ease of selling ivory. Why would politicians not want to do some thing about it if they had nothing to lose and the elephants every thing to gain.

This park chief should NEVER have the fear of doing his job correctly, All the powers that be above his station should support him, this is what they pay him for, Isn't it a shame that a decent man should have to report this,and fear losing his job.

The government do NOT deserve good Rangers, Shame on you Thailand,,and as for you park chief--stick at it with all the luck that goes with it----GOOD MAN

Perhaps he needs to learn that throwing out random accusations against those that may be in a position to further a cause is not the best path to improvement

Well it occurred to me that as you say they may be in the best position to further the cause why would they if it is making them money?

Well it occurred to me that as you say they may be in the best position to further the cause why would they if it is making them money?

You sound as stupid as he has been dolly, 'they'......who are they? one politician? Two? which would suggest there are another 500 or so in parliament that might support?......but not likely to be inclined to do so if you throw out random accusations, that will no doubt be interpreted as 'all politicians' by those with their own anti government agenda

Somebody does not want this issue to be reported via the media, but I want the public to know about this cruel issue. I am not afraid to reveal the truth. Nor am I afraid of being transferred to another area," he said.

Sounds like famous last words to me.

Sometimes I wonder how low a Thai politician can go. Now am thinking there is no limit. Why does it seem every criminal enterprise here in Thailand is always protected by some shadowy un-named " person of influence" ??

Why does it seem is it every criminal enterprise here in Thailand...corrected that for you. What's been to date is nothing to what will be the level of corruption once the Dubai convicted crim and terrorist in Dubai has all in place for full steam milking.
Hahaha thanks for the correction. Yeah I think you are right about the man from Dubai. I am already thinking about a Thailand exit plan, as I have no desire to live under a dictatorship.

:-(

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Since the elephant is Thailand's national symbol, maybe a widely advertised death penalty for elephant poaching could be implemented. Get the public all fired up about 'national pride' and there will be lots of citizens who will stop this horrible trade.

death penalty will not solve anything.

Somebody does not want this issue to be reported via the media, but I want the public to know about this cruel issue. I am not afraid to reveal the truth. Nor am I afraid of being transferred to another area," he said.

All in All very scary for the good humans and of course the poor animals that are about to become extinct ... all of them ... tigers , elephants, and all the other wild life of Asia that SOME decent people are trying to protect but get seriously knocked over .... Humans are at a real low level on this planet in our early new 21st Century .... it is quite devastating .. and also discouraging to envisage what your planet will be like in not even 10 years ... just another scary picture of the near future and most of it to enhance the Male libido and erectile functions ... Pfff!

Since the elephant is Thailand's national symbol, maybe a widely advertised death penalty for elephant poaching could be implemented. Get the public all fired up about 'national pride' and there will be lots of citizens who will stop this horrible trade.

And Why not...??

• Like 1

I doubt he will say too much more or name names if he knows any as he's putting his job and possibly his life on the line

• Like 2

You sound as stupid as he has been dolly, 'they'......who are they? one politician? Two? which would suggest there are another 500 or so in parliament that might support?......but not likely to be inclined to do so if you throw out random accusations, that will no doubt be interpreted as 'all politicians' by those with their own anti government agenda

Sorry about that. They are the those you commented on

"Perhaps he needs to learn that throwing out random accusations against

those that may be in a position to further a cause is not the best path

to improvement"

I take it that your "those" are all innocent.

• Like 1

All in All very scary for the good humans and of course the poor animals that are about to become extinct ... all of them ... tigers , elephants, and all the other wild life of Asia that SOME decent people are trying to protect but get seriously knocked over .... Humans are at a real low level on this planet in our early new 21st Century .... it is quite devastating .. and also discouraging to envisage what your planet will be like in not even 10 years ... just another scary picture of the near future and most of it to enhance the Male libido and erectile functions ... Pfff!

21st century? Do a little research on the history of this earth and one could make that statement in every century???? The destruction of the planet is from your point of view "and most of it to enhance the Male libido and erectile functions ... Pfff!" It is quite obvious that you have some problem with the male population??? Making generalized NO facts statements does nothing to help the situation that ALL HUMANITY faces these days. Hating on Men is still the act of hating. I find it hard to believe you lived in India all those years and from your post's got nothing from the experience. What positive suggestions can you offer to help the planet? Honestly annabel hate breeds hate, love and compassion breeds a healthy balanced humanity. beatdeadhorse.gif Why look it's a man beating a horse maybe your right after all.sad.png

It would if it happened to be ANY corrupt politition !!!! Please do not be in denial about corrupt politicians whatever party they are from, your posts are again giving the impression that it's rare for corruption to happen, come on be open---re gambling-killings-corrupt contract practices-and topics like this, all persons should report and publish ANYTHING that is wrong.

All is NOT wrong here in Thailand but if you and a few more posters spoke and posted more honest and open replies TVF would be more interesting than open denial about wrongdoings here.

Edited by ginjag

It would if it happened to be ANY corrupt politition !!!! Please do not be in denial about corrupt politicians whatever party they are from, your posts are again giving the impression that it's rare for corruption to happen, come on be open---re gambling-killings-corrupt contract practices-and topics like this, all persons should report and publish ANYTHING that is wrong.

All is NOT wrong here in Thailand but if you and a few more posters spoke and posted more honest and open replies TVF would be more interesting than open denial about wrongdoings here.

What is you problem again?

Would you support death penalty for killing an animal?

• Like 1