Tom Tom

Dhali

I tried to do that using a savi Thai friend. Failed. And, he removed my UK data from my Tom Tom.

Then I purchased a Garman sat-nav here in Pattaya. Broadly speaking, it's a waste of money because, for example, Pattaya has 1 post-code covering the whole city cheesy.gif.

Now I have to try and get reloaded the UK data on my Tom Tom.

No steps forward 2 steps back.

Then I purchased a Garman sat-nav here in Pattaya. Broadly speaking, it's a waste of money because, for example, Pattaya has 1 post-code covering the whole city.

So? You dont use the postcode for location purposes on the Thai map. You use the address or the lat/long.

I have a cheap Garmin Nuvi40 (3990B) with the ESRI Thai map and it works fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also downloaded TOmTOm THailand on my iPhone and iPad. Also TT SEA, they all work awesome when I go anywhere in Thailand, especially the big city

Sorry to be such a noob...but don't you need to have an internet connection on these devices? Like 3G or something like that?

My wife's got these devices and when we travel, it would be a nice feature to have.

I also downloaded TOmTOm THailand on my iPhone and iPad. Also TT SEA, they all work awesome when I go anywhere in Thailand, especially the big city

Sorry to be such a noob...but don't you need to have an internet connection on these devices? Like 3G or something like that?

My wife's got these devices and when we travel, it would be a nice feature to have.

Your smartphone uses its GPS chipset not the 'internet / 3G'. That you will need simply to download and install on your phone.

That's right. There are several sorts of GPS software available for all types of smartphone/tablet (both free and pay), and once the map has been downloaded at home you dont need an internet connection to use it.

Even the Android Google maps app will store maps on the device for later use without an internet connection.

Your smartphone uses its GPS chipset not the 'internet / 3G'. That you will need simply to download and install on your phone.

She has a Samsung Galaxy 3. It's ok, but a bit small. I was thinking the tablet would be better? I think it has a GPS chipset also? It's a Samsung Galaxy Note, 10". Nice size!!

That's right. There are several sorts of GPS software available for all types of smartphone/tablet (both free and pay), and once the map has been downloaded at home you dont need an internet connection to use it.

Even the Android Google maps app will store maps on the device for later use without an internet connection.

I tried this on the tablet for our last trip. Problem is, you can only load a portion of Thailand. We were doing a long trip and could not get enough onto the map for use the entire trip. And where we were, there were no internet connections. Nakhon Nowhere. Does that sound right or did I do something wrong.

P.S. sorry OP for going off topic!!!!!

I tried this on the tablet for our last trip. Problem is, you can only load a portion of Thailand. We were doing a long trip and could not get enough onto the map for use the entire trip. And where we were, there were no internet connections. Nakhon Nowhere. Does that sound right or did I do something wrong.

You can also get Tom Tom SE Asia for Android, all maps stored on device, no internet needed.

You can also get Tom Tom SE Asia for Android, all maps stored on device, no internet needed.

Interesting. Thanks for that. But a bit pricey at almost 2k Baht!!! I've got a trip coming up where this would be great to have.

Again, thanks!!!

Craig, I have True internet on my iPad and iPhone and both are jailbroken so I download TomTom and even Sygic Thailand and Sygic SEA FREE, and also the same two with TomTom. TomTom is my preferred. Even before i had the bigger screen iPad I could still plug in my tiny external speaker to my iPhone and it was good enough just to hear the direction. I didn't really need to SEE the screen.

I think other repliers are correct saying if your device has GPS you don't need an internet connection however I always turn my True internet on just in case. I don't want to miss an important turn lol. Although when I do lose my connection it still seems to work.

Here is a screenshot of my iPad

post-147691-0-81113600-1367388998_thumb.

Edited by Gone
  • Like 1

I seem to remember loading more than one area when I tried it on my phone and by now they may have made it better. I think the bigger the area stored the less resolution you can get, though that may have changed also.

A 10in tablet is certainly a decent size for map reading and a 7in tablet would be fine also.

There are several free-to-try or just plain free GPS apps for Android. Give them a go.

• Like 1

If you have a TOM TOM you can download the Thailand map and English or Thai speaking. it works exactly the same as back in OZ. I paid and downloaded the Thai map via internet from TOM TOM Australia, connected it to my computer and downloaded it to the Tom Tom. It works great.

Edited by OZEMADE