U S Government Wants Canadians To Pay To Enter The United States

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the USA needs the money to pay for the free services and babies of the illegal aliens from Mexico, central and south america.

The northern neighbors who actually contribute to the states is only good thing about the region. So lets punish them!!! IDIOTS

Why is it Americans always forget that all bar a few Red Indians are all immigrants so should not be so quick to blame their problems on immigrants. You all have no right to be in a country you took by force.

Blaming others for your Governments mismanagement of the economy is somewhat blinkered !

Of course the USA needs the money to pay for the free services and babies of the illegal aliens from Mexico, central and south america.

The northern neighbors who actually contribute to the states is only good thing about the region. So lets punish them!!! IDIOTS

Why is it Americans always forget that all bar a few Red Indians are all immigrants so should not be so quick to blame their problems on immigrants. You all have no right to be in a country you took by force.

Blaming others for your Governments mismanagement of the economy is somewhat blinkered !

The force to take the country was used, primarily, by immigrants from Germany, England, Ireland and France.

This entire thing is a tempest in a teapot. The US government will spend $20 million on some study that will take ten years and finally decide it isn't worth the revenue it might bring in and forget about it.

Some college professor somewhere is licking his chops over the chance to get that $20 million grant.

• Like 2

If I were the Canadian government and if the US did really implement such a tax, I would charge americans entering Canada and use the collected taxes to refund Canadian travelers that were hit with the US tax.

• Like 2

I have never understood my fellow Canadians' apparent belief that we are owed free and unfettered access to our neighbour to the south. Perhaps those who are truly outraged could use the opportunity to spread their horizons a little farther and check out something a little more exotic than Vegas. Monaco? Macau?

Reciprocity would be ill-advised in a situation such as this in my opinion. Our only response should be to find ways to encourage more Americans to come north and spend their money here. What do we want? Be morally outraged or make a few bucks? Maybe we could hire incredibly overpriced baseball players to play in Toronto and then invite American teams to come up here and beat us in terribly lopsided games. Oh look...promotion already in progress!

Interesting that the proposal calls for evaluating a fee on both the north and south borders and nobody seems to mind charging a fee in the south... (Or there's more Canadians than Mexicans tuned in here to TV)

It costs money to man the border checkpoints. Today, that money comes from "everyone", those that cross the border(s) every day and those that will never cross the border in their lifetime.

I see nothing inherently unfair about charging those that actually use to border crossings, rather than just spreading the cost among those who may never cross a border.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

The northern neighbors who actually contribute to the states is the only good thing about the region. So lets punish them!!! IDIOTS

You are missing another point. This is not a one way street where only the Canadians are forced by U.S. gov't officials to pay fees to visit the USA. Americans will now be forced to pay Canadian officials to visit Canada. It's called recipacality. (Pardon my spelling). It all about getting the most out of tourist. Every other country has to pay these fees. Why not Canada?

Why not Canada? First of all the proposed fee is to be levied on LAND crossings between Canada and the US. The only other country that would be subject to this fee would be Mexico. So it is not "every other country", just one. Second of all, the cultural and economic relationship between Canada and the US is closer than "every other country", the number of Canadians working in the US (legally) and vice-versa, the number crossing the border every day for tourism and shopping, and the number of cross-border family relationships is far, far greater than "every other country". Third, Canada the US and Mexico have a free trade agreement which is supposed to prohibit arbitrary fees and tariffs such as this, though it seems to US feels free to violate this agreement whenever it chooses.

I hope that answers your question.

I agree with the earlier comment about Janet Napolitano. Though I have generally favorable opinions of the Obama administration, the current director of Homeland Security is indeed not the brightest bulb, and this is not the first time she or her department have offended Canada and Canadians out of sheer ignorance.

I agree, except I don't know what you mean about the US violating NAFTA whenever it chooses. I hope not. I can tell you that my Chevy Impala was made in Ontario, Canada. Some parts of my F150 Ford 4x4 pickup were made in Canada, and some were made in Mexico and Brazil. The truck was assembled in the US.

I actually have a sister who has dual citizenship as do her three children. She married a very nice Canadian man who she met in Seattle while they both attended the same college. She lived in Canada with him, gained citizenship, and all of her children were born in Canada. Two of those now adult children live in the US, and all close to the border. They go back and forth constantly.

I can remember not so long ago just flashing my US state driver's license and being waived through. Now I need a passport, but I can go any time. No one at the border or in Canada has ever treated me poorly.

I still don't think Mssss. Napalitano's little scheme will work, regardless of her money wasting "study".

There are costs associated with administering the border(s). It is not unusual that the entities charged with providing these services look to 'user fees' to off-set the costs, especially given the current "Sequestration" situation. (I do not know if the CPB/DHS is negatively impacted by the mandatory Sequestration budget cuts?) FWIW, there are already some "fast-pass"-like alternatives like NEXUS, SENTRI and Global Entry, so it's easy to envision automated kiosk alternatives.

For air departures within Thailand I pay 100 baht for a domestic segment and 700 baht for an international departure.

I still remember paying $5 for my first fishing license some 40 years ago so not sure how 'mad" the world has gone? whistling.gif

There are costs associated with administering the border(s). It is not unusual that the entities charged with providing these services look to 'user fees' to off-set the costs, especially given the current "Sequestration" situation. (I do not know if the CPB/DHS is negatively impacted by the mandatory Sequestration budget cuts?) FWIW, there are already some "fast-pass"-like alternatives like NEXUS, SENTRI and Global Entry, so it's easy to envision automated kiosk alternatives.

For air departures within Thailand I pay 100 baht for a domestic segment and 700 baht for an international departure.

I still remember paying $5 for my first fishing license some 40 years ago so not sure how 'mad" the world has gone? whistling.gif

that is a fee you pay for the use of airport.

not a fee to visiting or leaving the country.

Actually, it's a fee for leaving the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departure_tax

Departure tax is a fee charged for leaving the country.

Depending on the country situation, for people leaving by air, it can be charged at the airport to those about to catch a flight, or could be prepaid while purchasing an airline ticket. Some countries, including Britain and Germany, tax passengers departing by air (seeAir Passenger Duty and German air passenger taxes), but do not have a general Departure tax.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, the US is trying to help pay for the expenses of providing and maintaining these facilities. Charging those who use them is not a bad way to go.

Correct. I was trying to associate services with fees rather than specific entry and exit fees. That said many countries do require a visa for which there is usually a fee - for example, I believe you have to pay a cash fee to cross from Thailand and enter into Cambodia? Certainly this is not a novel idea?

How silly. Which stone age people, as in Upper Paleolithic people, originally owned Europe, Africa, and Asia?

The Croods?

Edited by canman

canada should just do the same... how many US citizens are going to canada to get "affordable" medicine as a bottle of headache pills or a simple doctor's visit can reach many many times the prices of the northern country ... because the US has such a nice laws that doctors and pharmacies can charge you whatever they want or feel like

And Americans sometimes wonder why there is so much anti-Americanism in Canada. I guess Canada will just have to slap a similar fee on people crossing in the other direction.

Wrong on both counts.

Idiot bureaucrats in the U.S. government do not speak for 300 million Americans. And most Canadians know that.

There is more probably more anti-Americanism in the U.S. than there is in Canada.

This is what happens when your life or knowledge base revolves around the Internet as opposed to reality. You get a distorted view from a vocal minority.

I can honestly say I never hear any anti-Americanism, as you say, in day to day life in US. The extreme vast majority are grateful for the opportunities as is my Russian wife who understands what it is like to live in a coutry without such opportunities.

I can honestly say I have never heard anyone ever insult Canadians or bad mouth Canadians as long as I can remember. I am a bit amazed by all this Americans hate Canadians talk.

I have to believe a lot of this talk is more about the individual's posting than reality in America. Americans that I work with an encounter on a daily basis don't walk around angry spewing negativity about the US or any country for that matter.

• Like 2

There are lots of road which do not have a border crossing I guess If they get used too much they will put one. How many businesses in the States depend on Canadian Customers coming across the border.

I guess the natural resources that Canada sends to the states should be put up for bid as China would love to access them.. With the greater need of the United states for Canada's natural

resources, it is had to understand why the United States would want to alienate Canada.

Obamas government has no limit to their greed. Unbelieveable.

On the contrary, it is a response to the budget reductions. The US government has to pay for the security service somehow.

It is not necessarily a bad thing for Canada if it discourages cross border shopping and encourages the Canadians to toughen their own entry surveillance. The downside is that the US border states will suffer, especially the LCC airports that have taken away much of the Canadian low cost air travel market. This is why border states like WA and NY are furious.

BTW, as piece of trivia, more illegals attempted to cross into Canada from the USA than from Canada into the USA over the past 3 years. It seems Canada needs to tighten its own border security to keep out American sourced illegals.

• Like 2

And Americans sometimes wonder why there is so much anti-Americanism in Canada. I guess Canada will just have to slap a similar fee on people crossing in the other direction.

Wrong on both counts.

Idiot bureaucrats in the U.S. government do not speak for 300 million Americans. And most Canadians know that.

There is more probably more anti-Americanism in the U.S. than there is in Canada.

This is what happens when your life or knowledge base revolves around the Internet as opposed to reality. You get a distorted view from a vocal minority.

I can honestly say I never hear any anti-Americanism, as you say, in day to day life in US. The extreme vast majority are grateful for the opportunities as is my Russian wife who understands what it is like to live in a coutry without such opportunities.

I can honestly say I have never heard anyone ever insult Canadians or bad mouth Canadians as long as I can remember. I am a bit amazed by all this Americans hate Canadians talk.

I have to believe a lot of this talk is more about the individual's posting than reality in America. Americans that I work with an encounter on a daily basis don't walk around angry spewing negativity about the US or any country for that matter.

I'd like to respond more specifically to your post. But, I don't think we're on the same wave length.

I grew up on the Canadian border. We have many, many relatives on both sides. I'm pro U.S., Canada and Thailand. smile.png

You might want to read the latest news from Boston for an example of anti-Americanism in the U.S....

Edited by rijb

Wrong on both counts.

I'd like to respond more specifically to your post. But, I don't think we're on the same wave length.

I grew up on the Canadian border. We have many, many relatives on both sides. I'm pro U.S., Canada and Thailand. smile.png

You might want to read the latest news from Boston for an example of anti-Americanism in the U.S....

Yeah, I was just real surprised to hear so many say how Americans view Canadians as second class and etc. Never really heard such a thing.

I am sure there are anti American people in US. News is news. Always looking for a good story. That does not mean it is prevailing view. I fully abide by the theory that if you don't like America, by all means leave and go some place you like. Again, I live and work in a large city and I cannot recall someone complaining about America . . . except maybe me a while back thinking about how competitive it has become in relation to my nearing college age daughters. You do have to work your tail off more now than you used to, but the opportunities for a great life reward those who do.

Note that the article says, "...requests a study to determine the feasibility of collecting a fee...".

In the U.S. just about all fees are increasing.

Note that on an international air ticket the following fees are collected:

US International Departure Tax (US) $17.20

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
I assume both U.S. and Canadian citizens would have to pay any fees, were they to be implemented? (The article appears to be authored from solely the Canadian perspective.)

And it will be a minimal affordable fee as follow:

Enter the USA = $45 Cdn

Exit the USA = $20 Cdn +++++ Duty on purchases which will now be 50% of the cost of goods pruchased

Canadians retaliate =

Enter Canada = $48 Cdn

Exit Canada = $69 Cdn ++++ Duty on purchases = 0 //// because you didn't buy anything as too expensive here ...

Stay Home and so will we ...

Would love to see the figures of USA purchases from Canadian cross border daily shopping after this new law.... which Canadina now and always have flocked to on a daily basis ... !

Go Yankees Go!! Shoot yourselves in the ass ... God Bless that 1/2 of America called the "US" of "A"

Pfff!! As a Canadian /// My opinion is Stay Home... Why spend more money to go to the Wonderful US of A across the border and wait in line for hours , pay an entrance + exit fee + an increased duty rate which I am sure would come... ! Hell stay home even if it means your cost of living may end up being at that point 5% more... Your sanity is well worth it .. May have to cut out a few treats .. So what ... you'll be healthier in the long run tongue.png

This article is poorly written. This part:

Jeez. You guys don't travel very much. Do some research on what countries charge entry and exit fees. A vast majority already do. Many times, it's bundled into your transportation ticket. Every time you leave Thailand, you pay this fee:

http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/about-suvarnabhumi-airport/bangkok-international-airport-departure-tax/

And many countries do this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departure_tax

https://faq.orbitz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12600/~/country-entry-/-exit-fees

http://www.vagabondjourney.com/exit-fees-another-travel-expense/

This is all true, but Canada and the US have always had a certain relationship. I think we're talking about border crossings, which go on with millions of crossings by car. Most of the Canadian population lives along the US border, I assume for the better weather (they go clear to the Arctic) and good living conditions. It has only been in the past few years that I have even had to show a passport to enter Canada. I can't recall, but that may have been due to terrorism.

So up until recently, we have all driven back and forth at will. Now I just show a passport, no problem.

So this is shocking. It is unacceptable. I don't think this will happen.

(A) the feasibility of collecting from existing operators on the land border such as bridge commissions, toll operators, commercial passenger bus, and commercial passenger rail;

more specifically applies to this:

http://www.modbee.com/2013/04/21/2680311/feds-want-to-study-border-crossing.html

Some land border crossings, such as Detroit and Buffalo, use toll bridges, but the toll money goes to bridge operators, not DHS.

So part of this feasibility study is to see how they can get a portion of the fees already being charged. Makes sense.

I'm all for the public paying for their fair share. If you cross the border, paying a nominal fee is fine. NOMINAL!

This article also applies to the Southwest. Have you been at the border crossings there? Absolute mayhem. I'd be for a tax to allow me to get through quicker rather than stand in line for hours.

I am an American. I have always been proud of what we are as a country and a people. That said, I am truly discouraged by the individuals we have elected to conduct the government's business. The endless spending of money we don't have, the unrelenting taxation to fund a wasteful government, the arrogance of our elected "leaders" who pass laws and regulations, yet exempt themselves from being covered by those self same laws and regulations. This attempt to wring more money out of both our citizens and our closest neighbors and allies, the Canadians, sickens me. We are so worried about offending Islam and so concerned with political correctness, that we take away freedoms due every American and lawfull visitor to the USA. Frankly, we need to throw out every elected official, both Republican and Democrat, and start over. Elect individuals who can do the job without worrying how they are going to pad their bank accounts, or granting legislative favors to insure adequate funding for the next election. Unless we get these career beaurocrats out of office, the country is going down the tubes, and the only ones who will prosper are the crooked politicians.

Totally agree!! And this needs to be done in a hell of a lot of Countries ... not onlyin the US of A , Canada , but everywhere else in the world also... It' enough !!