African Students Invent Anti-Malaria Soap

webfact

African students invent anti-malaria soap

BURKINA FASO: -- Two students from Africa have invented a malaria repellent soap that they believe would help save millions of lives in sub-Saharan Africa where 90 percent of deaths occur from malaria transmitted to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes.

Two African students, Moctar Dembélé from Burkina Faso and Gérard Niyondiko from Burundi, recently won the Global Social Venture Competition and were granted a $25,000 award.

The students named their invention Faso Soap. It is made from karate citronella and other herbs, which grow in abundance in Africa.

“We want a simple solution, because everyone uses soap, even in the very poor communities,” Moktar Dembélé, General Manager of Faso soap said. If marketed effectively, the soap will have a sweeping impact in Africa, the inventors believe.

Mosquitoes are responsible for 300 million cases of malaria, says a presentational video of Faso soap. A majority of Africans do not have access to repellents which are expensive, toxic or limited in their use, it continues.

Full story: http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_04_22/African-students-invents-anti-malaria-soap/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-04-22

• Like 2

well i don't know if that is the universal cure now, but it seems that they use repellents based on natural herbs that growing in Africa.

like old traditional remedies. good to keep that knowledge alive, not all is unscientific voodoo medicine.

• Like 1

It's a bug-repellent soap, right? Why are they calling this anti-malaria soap... seems a little misleading?

Not really. The term "antimalarial" is generally used for medications that prevent or cure malaria. If a soap is medicated with ingredients to prevent mosquitos landing on skin and biting the human, then it can still be considered to be antimalarial as it will assist in preventing a person developing malaria. Medicines don't all have to be swallowed and don't have to cure. There are many preventative medicines and many that mitigate issues rather than cure a disease.

I use a repellent spritzer (can't tell you what it's called because I can't read Thai), that has citronella (or is it Limonella?) in it rather than deet. Smells so good I often use it instead of aftershave. What they're talking about isn't going to cure malaria, but hopefully could prevent them getting bitten in the first place. If you want a cure for malaria then look into MMS1 (okay I'm going to start a cascade of nay sayers now), but it does actually cure malaria in under 24 hours because it catches it at every stage of mutation. Too cheap and already public domain, so no money for big pharma there. Lol, I mistakenly wrote bug pharma before correcting myself.

Edited by Shiver
  • Like 1

If it really works a big malaria Pharma company will arrive shortly to buy the patent and shelf any plans for large scale production.

Unlikely that use of citronella could be patented. It has been used for years as insect repellent.

But great thinking from these students.

If it really works a big malaria Pharma company will arrive shortly to buy the patent and shelf any plans for large scale production.

Unlikely that use of citronella could be patented. It has been used for years as insect repellent.

They're trying to patent vegetables, and ban the growing of the organic versions, so who knows what levels they'll stoop to? (no answer required)

Edited by Shiver

Hardly. It is a prophylaxis, much like a condom. Condoms fail and there is not 100% compliance. As a result some people contract HIV. Treatment regimens are still required. The soap would be just another means of reducing infection much like the repellent infused insect bedding screens that are distributed. Millions of people in Africa still contract malaria.

Is it a good thing? You bet. Unfortunately, the people that would be helped are a drop in the infection bucket.

It's gonna be tough getting the mozzies to get into the bath for a soapy. sad.png

PB, you owe me a beer

I spat out mine, laughing at your post sick.gif

On a serious note,

Thats a GREAT idea.

citronella soap, i need some of that stuff here in TL!

Personally i like deet better. but the soap would be easier to use.

Kudos to the young men for thinking out of the box!clap2.gif

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

It's gonna be tough getting the mozzies to get into the bath for a soapy. sad.png

It is going to be even tougher using the soap as many communities have limited access to potable water.

water for washing does not have to be potable, although that would certainly be desirable.

They're trying to patent vegetables, and ban the growing of the organic versions, so who knows what levels they'll stoop to? (no answer required)

N.B. this is NOT an answer. A few vegetable and fruit strains with genetic modification have been patented. There have been restrictions for many years in Europe on selling certain old varieties of vegetables and fruits. That restriction is related to poor levels of disease resistance, and not for Patent reasons. There are very few crops which are totally banned ( some toxic plants and some potential drug plants) , just that some cannot be sold commercially. It is true that the involvement of Patent law in crop breeding is a cause for concern.

It's a bug-repellent soap, right? Why are they calling this anti-malaria soap... seems a little misleading?

Not really. The term "antimalarial" is generally used for medications that prevent or cure malaria. If a soap is medicated with ingredients to prevent mosquitos landing on skin and biting the human, then it can still be considered to be antimalarial as it will assist in preventing a person developing malaria. Medicines don't all have to be swallowed and don't have to cure. There are many preventative medicines and many that mitigate issues rather than cure a disease.

sorry, but i don't buy your definition of an antimalarial. almost always antimalarials refer to medications that prevent and/or cure malaria. check the WHO section on malaria. of course, a reference to support your definition will always be welcome. granted that you're right, then this soap can also be called anti-dengue, anti-filariasis, anti-JE, etc.

anyway, what needs to be considered is how long will the protective effect of the soap last. mosquitos that carry malaria bite mostly at night so the bathing practices as well as access to water also come into play. but i do laud the students' effort to help curb malaria incidence in Africa. i'd use their soap if the need ever arises.

PB, you owe me a beer

I spat out mine, laughing at your post sick.gif

On a serious note,

Thats a GREAT idea.

citronella soap, i need some of that stuff here in TL!

Personally i like deet better. but the soap would be easier to use.

Kudos to the young men for thinking out of the box!clap2.gif

Wonderful news! clap2.gif

Has it been tested on humans?

Has it been tested on mozzies?

Does it work if taken internally?

Maybe it will kill dizenteria?

I hear they are now experimenting with garlic...

Great effort coming on the heels of their invention of plain soap! clap2.gif

It is going to be even tougher using the soap as many communities have limited access to potable water.

Why would they need potable water for washing?

The water in many African communities is so dirty and contaminated that coming in contact with it carries its own set of health risks.

Water shortage is a crisis in a region where untreated sewage and mineral development runoff has polluted large watersheds and aquifers.

The people that would benefit most from the soap are small children and unfortunately they are the least resistant to contaminated water. Keep in mind that the number one killer illness for kids in Africa is GI infection and its associated diarrhea. There are a large number of communities in Africa where people do not even have access to water for basic sanitation.

No doubt the soap may help some, but for many others, it will not. However, anything safe that can help prevent malaria is a good thing.

Edited by geriatrickid

No. It only repells malaria carrying mosquitoes. Anti-malaria drugs are the "big bucks" generators and that's the Pharma's option for sure.

"N.B. this is NOT an answer. A few vegetable and fruit strains with genetic modification have been patented. There have been restrictions for many years in Europe on selling certain old varieties of vegetables and fruits. That restriction is related to poor levels of disease resistance, and not for Patent reasons. There are very few crops which are totally banned ( some toxic plants and some potential drug plants) , just that some cannot be sold commercially. It is true that the involvement of Patent law in crop breeding is a cause for concern."

Thing is, 'old varieties' of fruits and vegetables have their benefits too. For example, if you leave a fruit or vegetable to fend for itself (i.e. not use pesticides), then it will develop an immune system to protect itself, so when you eat it you benefit from that. A pesticide treated vegetable, even if cleaned, is lacking some of the things your body needs. Do a search on Salvestrols, and the enzyme CYP1B1, cancer and diet, The writing is all on the wall for those that have eyes to see it.