Death-Row Briton In Bali Lodges Appeal With Top Court

webfact

im glad the british taxpayer is not paying the bills ..maggie would be pleased ....this turd of a woman has been a crim all her life ....several articles eluding to this ...to say her family was at risk is garbage .......she knew full well what she was doing ....neck the lot of them those bali 9 included ....waiting for the handwringing do gooders

Sentence people to death for trafficking drugs is the worst what law can do. Nobody deserves that. Doesn't matter what particular drug they were trafficking.

Death is never a solution.

My opinion.

No death is not a solution. She was only going to use the coke to cure her acne.

Sentence people to death for trafficking drugs is the worst what law can do. Nobody deserves that. Doesn't matter what particular drug they were trafficking.

My opinion.

Would you be saying the same thing had the drugs she carried killed a person you knew?

I would and I'm the younger brother of a heroin addict who has died and been resuscitated 5 times! People choose to take drugs (at least at the start of usage) in the same way you and I choose to have a beer. The picture of the poor innocent user or the dope dealer hanging around outside schools just isn't true in 90+% of cases.

That's too simplistic an answer. In many cases it's beer that's the introduction to drugs, the house party where the charismatic guy hands out some E's to the young and impressionable, and so begins the magic roundabout.

I see children living with drug addicts every day in life in Scotland, and I can see how all pervasive this problem is. I don't share the detestation of junkies that many people have, as in too many cases, they are poor souls who had no chance in the first place.

However if you are convinced it's as simplistic a choice as beer v heroin, then up to you.

yes I do, been there, done that got the habit. 1 brother chooses to become a junkie 1 chooses that maybe it aint for the best. What do you put it down to?

I said the choice of taking it at the start is as simple as choosing if you have a beer or not, don't twist my words after that. Giving up beer and giving up heroin cannot be compared after that, although experience tells me beer is always in your face and heroin is quite easy to avoid if you put your mind to it.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

I have read all of your replies, quotes and answers to my post.

The only thing i want to say is:

You can't be "pro" on death penalty for drug trafficking of a few kilos of narcotics in peoples baggages. Please, this is ridiculous.

Edited by Lammbock

@jeremyBowskill

Your contention is simplistic, your comparison ill chosen. I live in an area which has a serious alcohol and drug problem, I see it every day when I'm in Scotland. If only it was as easy as you suggest then we wouldn't have a problem at all.

No one chooses to be a junkie. Go ask your brother.

As harsh as the sentence may be, she's an adult and should have known better. The foreign office could easily offer the £6,000 needed for the appeal but I understand why they won't. Legal fee's in Bali go straight in the back pocket of officials, you're not buying someones time , expertise and legal knowledge.

The British government spent their budget on a ridiculous military funeral for Thatcher, costing millions, chuck a hard up grandma £6,000 so she can at least say they fought the case before they take her out back and put her out of her misery.

As you said, she should have known better but if you substitute "convicted drug trafficker" for "hard up grandma" perhaps you'll understand why the government contributed to Lady Thatcher's funeral and chose not to perhaps set a precedent by paying that woman's legal expenses.

I imagine there are many hard up grandmas in England but they don't all start trafficking drugs, why should the taxpayer assist this particularly awful one?

@jeremyBowskill

Your contention is simplistic, your comparison ill chosen. I live in an area which has a serious alcohol and drug problem, I see it every day when I'm in Scotland. If only it was as easy as you suggest then we wouldn't have a problem at all.

No one chooses to be a junkie. Go ask your brother.

He made a choice, we sat down and we chatted about where it would end up. He just didn't give a Xxxx, like so many others

Edited by metisdead

My opinion.

Well it would solve the problem of a drug trafficking grandma.

2.4Million in drugs and this XXXXX expect leniency? If you see the results of drugs and the destruction it causes, you too would throw the switch as would I, in a heartbeat.

If the social and personal damage were the main factors determining the punishment alcohol and tobacco manufacturers and retailers should have been taken to the back and shot long time ago. But they are not. The punitive approach to drugs has been discredited by all serious studies and by negative results that the multi-decade multi-trillion dollar war on drugs had produced. Most people can consume alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or food for that matter in a proportionate, healthy, and responsible way. They should be able to ingest whatever they want as long as they are not harming others. Some people have phsycological problems with addictive behavior towards any of the above substances. They need medical and community help, not prison. The public policy should be focused on the majority and stay out of personal lives. The minority should be offered help and support programs. Decriminalization is the onle sane public policy approach not only because it will stop destroying lives and filling up prisons with non-violent users, but because it will move durgs from the black market where they fuel more violance into the legal market where they can be regulated and taxed just like alcohol and tobacco.

A rare voice of reason on this matter.

Thank you.

Unfortunately this "voice of reason" ignores the fact that the woman (who this topic is about) is a trafficker not an addict.

He also is comparing an illegal activity with legitimate ones, don't see the point.

Gender shouldn't come into it, yet when Samantha Orobator received a similar sentance in Laos a few years ago the Govt bent over backwards & quickly secured commutation & her return to UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/20/samantha-orobator-laos-drugs-conviction

When the purportrator is male it's a very different story.

The UK government didn't secure commutation for Orobator, she did, by artificially inseminating herself in prison. Pregnant women won't be executed in Laos.

Don't think the amount of drug being trafficked was similar either.

im glad the british taxpayer is not paying the bills ..maggie would be pleased ....this turd of a woman has been a crim all her life ....several articles eluding to this ...to say her family was at risk is garbage .......she knew full well what she was doing ....neck the lot of them those bali 9 included ....waiting for the handwringing do gooders

Too right.

I have read all of your replies, quotes and answers to my post.

The only thing i want to say is:

You can't be "pro" on death penalty for drug trafficking of a few kilos of narcotics in peoples baggages. Please, this is ridiculous.

Yes we can. Bloody right we can, it's called an opinion.

Actions have consequences and unfortunately for this lady the penalty for her behavior is extreme. While many would consider that the penalty in this case is too harsh it does not belie the fact that she knew what she was doing and had to be aware of the consequences should she be caught.

Had there been improprieties in her trial I would agree the British government should become more involved but in this case there appears to be nothing done out of the legal bounds which apply to judicial activities in Indonesia. To set a precedent and have the British government pick up the cost of her appeals would then result in many others requesting the same thing.

Can one imagine the number of requests that would result if the British government would pay for defense of all the idiots who come to Thailand and buy dope off the streets and subsequently get caught in a sting by the dealers and cops? We are all adults and should know that we are responsible for our own behavior.

• Granny you did the crime now you pay for that crime You were selling drugs to kid and now you want the Brit government to help you. To take tax payers moneys to support some old hag in prison trying to kill our kids. You should be ashame of yourself. I hope the hang you from the highest tree and hope the rope slips and you don't die instantly. I hope you feel the pain of the rope around you need squeezing the life out of you for about 15 minutes before you die. Nothing less would make me happy