Thai Videos Confirm Long-Standing Rumours Of Conscript Abuse

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Videos confirm long-standing rumours of conscript abuse

Supon Thanukid
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- "Become a soldier and you will get more than you expect" is the slogan the armed forces often use ahead of the annual draft at this time of year.

In advertisements, young draftees are portrayed as becoming mature and responsible adults after completing their military service, during which they are said to learn new things necessary for taking the next steps in life.

The main reason for such a public relations campaign is that many young men (aged 21 and over) - as well as their parents and other family members - worry about their safety while serving in the military - a period that lasts up to two years. They are actually afraid of getting more than they bargained for.

Many young men of conscription age attempt to avoid being drafted, requesting repeated postponements, citing reasons such as having to further their studies. Some parents reportedly even resort to bribery to help their children escape military service.

The concern mostly involves the notorious basic training. Many draftees are said to be punished cruelly by drill sergeants or their assistants, who are often privates who completed their compulsory training the previous year. These assistant trainers sometimes get a little too much enjoyment out of exercising their new powers.

Because of its size, the Army has the largest share of draftees among the armed forces and the most cases of physical assault against draftees.

At least five video clips of draftees being trampled on by drill sergeants or their assistants have been widely distributed through online social networks recently. In most of the videos, the people involved are assistant trainers, but in some of them, the drill sergeants not only failed to stop the assaults - they took part in them.

Such stories are nothing new. What has changed is that, in the past, because of a lack of evidence, such incidents often went unreported and no action was taken against the persons responsible. The stories spread out of barracks through word of mouth.

However, thanks to modern gadgets that can make both video and audio recordings, clear evidence is now readily available. It is therefore difficult for the senior military officers involved to deny it if such incidents actually took place inside their barracks.

Officially, there are five methods of punishment for serving soldiers who commit disciplinary offences - probation, imposition of a penalty, isolation, detention and imprisonment. Those who commit small offences are often punished through being forced to exercises such as push-ups or squats.

Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha recently said that incidents of physical assault against draftees must not happen again. He also promised that all Army men involved in the physical assaults seen in the videos would be punished severely, as he considered their acts to be "harmful to the Army".

The Army chief's guarantee may be reassuring for many draftees and their families. But it will take time and more concrete action to dispel the fears associated with the military draft.

Army personnel, from the top commanders to the lower-ranking drill sergeants and the privates involved in military training, must be sincere in helping the commander-in-chief keep his promise. If they keep military training free from physical assault, there will be more young men voluntarily applying to serve in the armed forces, instead of attempting to avoid being drafted.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-26

The truth shall set you free, or at least make it much more embarrassing, when abuses & abusers are exposed like this.

More, Please ! thumbsup.gif

I'm waiting for one of the oldest excuses in the world, " it's character building ".

• Like 1

The whole shebang needs a overhaul, there's no threat to Thailand , the young gungho one's need to be encouraged to join the regulars, the basic problem is interfering in the uni education and upsetting the 24hr FaceBook syndrome, conscription is irrelevant , not needed as a part of the Armed forces, something they can do without.coffee1.gif

Stories like this have been around for decades and never seem to go anywhere as per usual. There is an army basic training camp near my home and many NCO instructors live in my village and it's usual to see recruits at their home digging the garden, building walls and carrying out general home improvements. Over a decade ago I worked in a mid-Isan province and an Australian colleague used to play golf on a simple 9 hole course in an army camp in the adjacent province. He had been invited by the Officer Commanding the camp who was so proud he had designed the course and had it built by " his " recruits. Sort of says it all

Maybe we are missing the point that in the nation's hour of need an army of part time gardeners, construction workers and golf course builders will swing into action in defence of the realm. Maybe this is what's meant by Military Intelligence, LOL

• Like 1

Double edged sword. IF the recruits did nothing wrong then by all means prosecute. If they committed something against demands or orders then rough them up a 'little' isn't a bad thing. Let's face it, if they joined up for a holiday, and as has already happened with overseas postings, or even sent south to the conflict zones, if they were captured, you think they are going to get a cup of tea and a handshake? But there has to be a line between abuse and training for such events. I do not condone the bashings of course, but expect the worst when in actual conflict zones and be prepared for it. We (fortunately) were training under live bullet fire, running fields in bare feet until cut so badly but still able to 'escape' and so on. Being able to handle a weapon is easy, being able to use your physical strengths and your mind is a far better bet to survive conflict.

• Like 1

I'm sure it are all just rumors and the whole thing is blown out of proportion? Judge for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543395739037729

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=544534028923900

Thank you for posting the connections. Military basic training usually involves some kinds of "beastings" - but these look more like some people abusing their position of authority.

It would be good to have the full stories behind these, but on face value it looks like simple bullying and assault.

They get no punishment or discipline as children so being told to go "clean your boots" must seem like a nightmare ordeal.

Combine that with their pack dog mentality, its no wonder things get out of hand...

I'm sure it are all just rumors and the whole thing is blown out of proportion? Judge for yourself.

I just watched these sickening video's which can only prove that Thailand has a whole range of Buffalo Soldiers, from the Minster, Commander and right down through the ranks. No further proof is necessary, the buffalo's can be seen committing serious offenses (note that they can only do it as a herd of Buffalo through). The sickening pigs MUST be arrested and charged along with their commanding officers! As a supporter of Thailand for over 33 years (especially on TV where, God knows supporters are needed) I am totally disgusted and am not prepared to listen to any more rubbish and stupid army/political comments - find and prosecute them - or you deserve to go to hell!

I have seen this video before, all the Thai people are passing it around on Thai sites. To watch it just makes me sick to my stomach. This is not part of some tricky toughening up process, this is sheer abuse of power combined with a mind boggling streak of cruelty. If this is representative of how the Thai military is run, it is no wonder they have never won anything. They had better hope and pray that Burma or Cambodia does not invade Thailand....

• Like 1

The cowards in the video would be facing a different scenario if the guy was able to hit back. Abuse of power along with a sadistic streak adds to one F%$%* up dude.

Not much different to their politics !

Okay and now what?? Maybe some official will make a public announcement proclaiming that they will not tolerate this type of abuse anymore but like most things in Thailand nothing will actually be done about it and of course nothing will change.

Edited by thomash
  • Like 1

Not having a good week are they the "armed forces".

I await us being told, "not to talk, or discuss such issues", since they will gravely effect national unity and security. Not with standing the fact, that how does one presume to believe that these conscripts will actually follow their senior officers into battle after being treated in such a way.

Oh of course, in the Thai army, you probably don't follow your senior officers into battle, they push you up front, just to see what is going on first, should it get a little dangerous.

If I was dishing out physical corrective training and one of my team was videoing it they would be getting some too. Not really condoning it but it wasn't so long ago that physical discipline was acceptable in our countries, times change, they just haven't here yet. Look at how cops let civilians beat prisoners when they are being arrested.

If I was dishing out physical corrective training and one of my team was videoing it they would be getting some too. Not really condoning it but it wasn't so long ago that physical discipline was acceptable in our countries, times change, they just haven't here yet. Look at how cops let civilians beat prisoners when they are being arrested.

You call it physical discipline?

Where i come from it is physical violence and never been acceptable especially when carried out under the guise of a military rank,and by cowards in packs......one on one and no shackles even in the army would see a lot of these so called tough men found out by young angry men who do not want to be there.

You call it physical discipline?

Where i come from it is physical violence and never been acceptable especially when carried out under the guise of a military rank,and by cowards in packs......one on one and no shackles even in the army would see a lot of these so called tough men found out by young angry men who do not want to be there.

I agree with the cowards in packs comment. When I was trained physical discipline was used, right or wrong it had the required effect. If you are given an order and you tell the person to eff off what next? A time out? Still, where do you come from where physical violence has never been acceptable, sounds like a nice place to be. I would probably stay in such a haven.

Having watching that gut churning violence I dont know how to comment. Living in fear bcos I have young son born here and Luk Krung kids will get worse that this if conscription is still in force in ten years. Unfortunately what you see here is a mirror of a large chunk of Thai society. Stop Conscription, down size the army

Double edged sword. IF the recruits did nothing wrong then by all means prosecute. If they committed something against demands or orders then rough them up a 'little' isn't a bad thing. Let's face it, if they joined up for a holiday, and as has already happened with overseas postings, or even sent south to the conflict zones, if they were captured, you think they are going to get a cup of tea and a handshake? But there has to be a line between abuse and training for such events. I do not condone the bashings of course, but expect the worst when in actual conflict zones and be prepared for it. We (fortunately) were training under live bullet fire, running fields in bare feet until cut so badly but still able to 'escape' and so on. Being able to handle a weapon is easy, being able to use your physical strengths and your mind is a far better bet to survive conflict.

Was it raining and were big dogs chasing you as well ? tongue.png

• Like 1