Udon Nightlife Is Dead, How About Other Cities?

George Harmony

Compared to the 'traditional' expat areas in Thailand, Udon is very low on general tourism, so I would imagine that with the dramatic fall in the value of Western currencies, there may be fewer farangs settling here. Many already here may have matured away from the night life. If there are still a lot of small farang bars, they are probably competing for too few customers. That already happeneed in Nong Khai a few years ago and several closed down.

There is a soapy in Udon, I think the name of it is Oscars. But, not really sure.

When they say 300K they are talking about Udon prope not all the suburps that surrond. Ad those and yuo get a real feel for the size. You really can't tell when you leave Udon and go into say Nong Bua. Start putting that ogether and yuor probably taliking more like a million.

I have other things to keep myself busy these days. Back in the days when I did he bar crawl. Thee were only three farrangs places in town and only one where you could find rent a honey.

The city has made it very clear that they don't want to be another Pattaya.

Next time you come grab a tuk tuk and have him take you to the Thai spots you will have more fun.

Just a personal thought based on my bar crawls from years back.

Been here for ten years, there are a lot more farrangs and a lot more places for them to go to.

Happy that I did it back in the day,. when we were special hee. In those days a walk through Robinsons would have you hooked up in no time.

But, farrangs are not that unusual now, so things are very diferent

Pattaya is yuor best bet.

• Like 1

There is a soapy in Udon, I think the name of it is Oscars. But, not really sure.

When they say 300K they are talking about Udon prope not all the suburps that surrond. Ad those and yuo get a real feel for the size. You really can't tell when you leave Udon and go into say Nong Bua. Start putting that ogether and yuor probably taliking more like a million.

I have other things to keep myself busy these days. Back in the days when I did he bar crawl. Thee were only three farrangs places in town and only one where you could find rent a honey.

The city has made it very clear that they don't want to be another Pattaya.

Next time you come grab a tuk tuk and have him take you to the Thai spots you will have more fun.

Just a personal thought based on my bar crawls from years back.

Been here for ten years, there are a lot more farrangs and a lot more places for them to go to.

Happy that I did it back in the day,. when we were special hee. In those days a walk through Robinsons would have you hooked up in no time.

But, farrangs are not that unusual now, so things are very diferent

Pattaya is yuor best bet.

Your post is kind of rambling. I'm curious as to how the city has made it "clear" they don't want to be another Pattaya.

I seem to remember a year or so ago enjoying the two or so streets of farang style bars near the bus station. There was

even a go-go show( though it wasn't open that night). This is much more - I am told - than any other city in Northeast Thailand.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Rambling is how I think, old age. Why do I think the city doesn't want to be another Pattaya, that is what they have said.

Come on down and find out for yourself.

Edited by ray23

UD has its own Tawandaeng nightclub on the sidestreet adjoining the Central Mall, just between there and the Day and Night bar complex. Good <deleted>, music and food for a reasonable price, if u like Thai music....

There also a late night disco that was opening on the street that fronts the mall, about a block down toward the railroad tacks heading toward UD town.

There's also a popular disco in the basement of the Charoen hotel (I'm on the road right now), Freebird or something like that.

But if by nightlife one means go go bars, no, not much in UD.. there are a lot of veteran bar girls however....

There's also a popular disco in the basement of the Charoen hotel (I'm on the road right now), Freebird or something like that.

The Yellowbird disco - actually in a block behind the main hotel buildings. Edited by citizen33

Well I've just turned up here for about 3 weeks and I can tell you it has much more nightlife than Sakon does.

Anyone watching the final tomorrow????

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Yellowbird disco - actually in a block behind the main hotel buildings.

Part of UD's charm for me is that it isn't Pattaya, I find the slow pace of life a lot more agreeable.

Yellow Bird is a blast, most times I have been there I've been the only farang in there. They usually have a couple of live bands on in there.

Well I've just turned up here for about 3 weeks and I can tell you it has much more nightlife than Sakon does.

There's plenty of nightlife there,on top of those already mentioned.Irish Clock and Top Mansion Road has Day and Night girly bars,the rest is farang bars with girls.Nutty Park as mentioned,lots of other bars on the road down to the massive new shopping complex and bars everywhere there although they are Thai style.So difficult to have a beautiful Isaan girl pouring all your drinks for you!whistling.gif

They even have a posh wine bar upstairs at the opposite end to the train station.

How anyone can says there's no bars or nightlife is beyond me,you must have very little imagination!

Udon Nightlife started to die when they closed down the Bars along the front of the old "Complex" (now substantially rebuilt and renamed Central Plaza) and then if that wasn't bad enough they built and opened that Gawd Awful "Night and Day" in Soi Sampan,with 20 or so Bars competing to make the most tuneless noise one could imagine,it really became an effort to go there and punish yourself with the most dismal atmosphere,and sleazy characterless set up,that is depressing enough to make lonely men weep, and suitably deeply depressed go back to their condos,and Hotels still alone and thankful they had the wit not to get involved in something they would surely regret the next day,and that's only the Rip Off Checkbin that usually follows this dreary venture into the souless depths of nothing,posing as entertainment! I left there feeling as if I had been lucky to escape with only a large checkbin,and I do not use the word "escape" lightly.

Have a nice night!

Edited by MAJIC

There's plenty of nightlife there,on top of those already mentioned.Irish Clock and Top Mansion Road has Day and Night girly bars,the rest is farang bars with girls.Nutty Park as mentioned,lots of other bars on the road down to the massive new shopping complex and bars everywhere there although they are Thai style.So difficult to have a beautiful Isaan girl pouring all your drinks for you!Posted Image 

They even have a posh wine bar upstairs at the opposite end to the train station.

How anyone can says there's no bars or nightlife is beyond me,you must have very little imagination!

Me thinks you need to read my short and simple post again.

Udon Nightlife started to die when they closed down the Bars along the front of the old "Complex" (now substantially rebuilt and renamed Central Plaza) and then if that wasn't bad enough they built and opened that Gawd Awful "Night and Day" in Soi Sampan,with 20 or so Bars competing to make the most tuneless noise one could imagine,it really became an effort to go there and punish yourself with the most dismal atmosphere,and sleazy characterless set up,that is depressing enough to make lonely men weep, and suitably deeply depressed go back to their condos,and Hotels still alone and thankful they had the wit not to get involved in something they would surely regret the next day,and that's only the Rip Off Checkbin that usually follows this dreary venture into the souless depths of nothing,posing as entertainment! I left there feeling as if I had been lucky to escape with only a large checkbin,and I do not use the word "escape" lightly.

Have a nice night! 

I would have to agree, it was very dismal.

The street in front of the train station is a different story, from the hospital down to the traffic lights at route 22. Great atmosphere and reasonable prices.

The street in front of the train station is a different story, from the hospital down to the traffic lights at route 22. Great atmosphere and reasonable prices.

Are you talking about Thong Yai, the road that runs from the railway station to route 22 and passes the new plaza containing Tesco? It is several years since I ventured into a couple of Thai bars along there and it was quiet then. May explore on my next trip.

Are you talking about Thong Yai, the road that runs from the railway station to route 22 and passes the new plaza containing Tesco? It is several years since I ventured into a couple of Thai bars along there and it was quiet then. May explore on my next trip.

Yeah that's one mate. I drive past it almost every night now. The wife and I sat in a thai bar and had a bite to eat watching the footy the other day. We've also sat at some of the BBQ places. The atmosphere is a lot better than night and day.

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah that's one mate. I drive past it almost every night now. The wife and I sat in a thai bar and had a bite to eat watching the footy the other day. We've also sat at some of the BBQ places. The atmosphere is a lot better than night and day.

Thats called UD Town.....as well as Thai bars where you can eat and drink reasonably cheaply and listen to music,there are places like Starbucks,KFC,McDonalds,Pizza Co,Swensens,Tesco's and loads of Japanese buffet restaurants.

A good place is Udon Wine Society,upstairs and just past Tesco's on your left at the end of the car parking.The food is excellent and there is a great band that can play jazz/blues style western music.Its open from 5pm till midnight and usually has a beer and wine promotion from 5pm to 8pm when the music starts.......downside is that its a bit pricey but certainly OK for a special occassion.

Went back to the chill bar last night to watch the footy. This is sort of opposite the tesco. 3 meals with about 4 big bottles of leo and coke for around 650 baht. Good place, well it was until they turned the LFC game off for the manc game. :D

Given I'm now married and not interested in certain girlie types of night life, I find the open air bar area in UD Town to be great for a relaxing beverage and people watching. Really enjoy the Thai style service and atmosphere. I guess for single guys, its a good place to take a date.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exept for the Farang-Tourist-Spots: There Is no nightlife in the rest of Thailand as far as the Farangs understanding of night-life is concerned.

So, Farangs that have grown to like the night-life, are probably ill-advised to move to rural Thailand. Even if this move is strongly recommended by a third party. (the third party is usually the Thai-GF, as I was told).

But if the Farang is willing and able to reduce his "night-life-desires" to:

- Go to the local Karaoke (Where people in uniform get free treatement in the backroom, all others have to pay).

Not sure I understand? Can anyone explain? I must lead a pretty sheltered life.

Many Isaan karaoke bars (in my limited experience) are heavily frequented by police officers and teachers. This is somewhat paradoxical as the young ladies who work in such establishments are usually considered to be less than respectable. Many bars, even the small ones, have a VIP room. But not being a VIP, I have no idea what goes on inside. The previous poster is offering one hypothesis. My hunch is that the numerous cheap bungalow hotels scattered around Isaan towns also play a role.

Given I'm now married and not interested in certain girlie types of night life, I find the open air bar area in UD Town to be great for a relaxing beverage and people watching. Really enjoy the Thai style service and atmosphere. I guess for single guys, its a good place to take a date.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I certainly agree... The open air/outdoors areas of UD Town make for a nice, inexpensive evening out -- if you enjoy eating Thai food and drinking Thai beer and/or whisky sets.

It's kind of like the beer garden setups that they've had around CentralWorld in BKK in recent years during the lead-up to Christmas season.

Then for those otherwise inclined, there's a bunch of Thai buffet and drinking places on the opposite side of the street across from UD Town. And within UD Town, there's the whole mall section where there's a bunch of indoors restaurants with a lot of Japanese in Thailand style food choices, ice cream and chocolate places, etc etc... As well as the wine place upstairs.

But for girlie bars, you gotta look elsewhere.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK