Thai Tourism Ministry To Set Up Tourist Court For Better Protection Of Foreign Travelers

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know the current procedures dealing with suspected shoplifters.

For example, at the airport, if someone get accused of shoplifting, they are held by police in a filthy short time hotel room, introduced to a fake lawyer that tells them 6 months incarceration until a court date, then drains their ATM account of the maximum each day, then lets them go without a hearing.

Will the new system be better?

yes the cells will be at the courts with an ATM in every cell, enables a more pleasent and streamlined process.

• Like 2

This sounds like a step in the right direction to me. If this means foreigners wouldn't subjected to the same judicial process as natives then I don't see what foreigners are complaining about here. Unless you actually think it will be less fair you want to go to Thai court. Perhaps they would have English speaking court staff instead of training the whole country. I don't see a reason to complain about this and as for the Patong Jet Ski operators, that would be a different subject, surely?

This sounds like a step in the right direction to me. If this means foreigners wouldn't subjected to the same judicial process as natives then I don't see what foreigners are complaining about here. Unless you actually think it will be less fair you want to go to Thai court. Perhaps they would have English speaking court staff instead of training the whole country. I don't see a reason to complain about this and as for the Patong Jet Ski operators, that would be a different subject, surely?

The jet ski example shows the police are on the sides of the criminals.

• Like 1

Be fair, at least they are trying to do something positive - remember the saying some you win some you lose - let's not change it to become "some you lose, some you lose!"

Like the tourist police? Please tell me how they have protected tourists from the thugs that run the jet ski operation in Patong? The government can't even control the taxi cartel or get the airport bus up and running in Phuket.

Tourist police I have met have an agenda that does not follow the "protect and serve" hypocritical guidelines that the police in my country also don't seem to abide by.

Edited by me313

Court for tourist protection proposed
Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Personal safety is critical to sustaining the tourism boom, so a special court should be set up to look after international visitors more specifically, following foreign models, Tourism Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said yesterday.

The aim is to keep the country safe as a holiday destination and to boost travel satisfaction in order to achieve the government's target of Bt2 trillion in tourism revenue by 2015, said Somsak, who early this month replaced the late Chumpol Silpa-archa.

Setting up such a court is a complex and time-consuming process, requiring legal backup by the legislature in the form of a new law or an amendment to existing laws.

Initially, the Justice Ministry will be asked to extend the office hours of normal courts to evenings and weekends to hear tourism cases. In the medium term, a special department of the court would be formed to handle tourism cases. The National Police will also be asked to help.

This will help speed up the legal process. Now, foreign tourists have to lodge complaints with normal courts, but many of them are staying in this country short-term and have no time to seek justice under the existing procedures.

Thailand needs to deal with several problems undermining foreign tourist sentiment such as scams and cheating but especially threats to safety. However the ministry said the crime rate is still lower here than many places elsewhere. The standard abroad is not more than two victim of crime out of every 100,000 tourists. Now, the Kingdom's rate is 0.02 per cent.

Somsak met for the first time with the management team of the Tourism Authority of Thailand and expressed pleasure at TAT's role in promoting tourism to boost arrivals. He listened to their opinions and issues and delivered a policy message. However, he expressed concern over safety as a risk to tourists' confidence.

This year, Thailand will welcome 24.5 million foreign tourists as projected. The baht's appreciation was not a worrisome factor. However, they they will spend more carefully because they receive less money when exchanging their local currencies, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-30

Give this country a break guys! just maybe, this is a genuine attempt to offer some assistance to tourists who have problems here (a tiny minority).

However they do it, we need more (Western) tourists at the moment. Things are rather too quiet at the moment and negative publicity about the country doesn't help. If having brought in these courts, they could address the problems of the over strong baht and tell the immigration dept to get off foreigners backs, we might get a few more foreigners back and hold back the Red Tsunami from Beijing.

To set up a special Court for a separate type of people is basically and fundamentally wrong and against any rule of law. Next, a specail court for migrant workers, then for Russian hookers... come on! That will never make justice prevail.

If the existing courts have problems or rather if the non-Thai speaking defendants have problems with Thai courts, make interpreter available or have judges speak English.

As many have said before, to prevent is better than to heal. Make the Royal Thai Police actually DO something (their job) and get rid of all the Mafia trying to scam tourists (and Thais), such as Phuket tuk-tuk mafia, Pattaya song taeaw mafia, jet ski mafia, Grand Palace fake tourist guides etc. There is a lot to do. Let's go!

• Like 1

Give this country a break guys! just maybe, this is a genuine attempt to offer some assistance to tourists who have problems here (a tiny minority).

However they do it, we need more (Western) tourists at the moment. Things are rather too quiet at the moment and negative publicity about the country doesn't help. If having brought in these courts, they could address the problems of the over strong baht and tell the immigration dept to get off foreigners backs, we might get a few more foreigners back and hold back the Red Tsunami from Beijing.

To set up a special Court for a separate type of people is basically and fundamentally wrong and against any rule of law. Next, a specail court for migrant workers, then for Russian hookers... come on! That will never make justice prevail.

If the existing courts have problems or rather if the non-Thai speaking defendants have problems with Thai courts, make interpreter available or have judges speak English.

As many have said before, to prevent is better than to heal. Make the Royal Thai Police actually DO something (their job) and get rid of all the Mafia trying to scam tourists (and Thais), such as Phuket tuk-tuk mafia, Pattaya song taeaw mafia, jet ski mafia, Grand Palace fake tourist guides etc. There is a lot to do. Let's go!

I have to agree, this is very unlikely to fly past the legal constrictions/laws.

In fairness, why do tourists need a special court, they barely have enough judges now. Is the issue bilingualism? Or to speed it up? Why should tourists get cases sped through the system any better than anyone else?

And who may I ask will be the judges, judges must be neutral and impartial. Replace them with some of the very old hypocritical spinsters from the UK, the UK needs a younger generation that understands social changes, whereas Thailand needs fair play to all citizens a win win for both countries.

As the prior posts attest: this idea smells like scam and failure mixed together.

Better to try and instill a bit of professionalism and fair-mindedness among existing authorities - rather than create a new venue, and expect righteousness to magically appear. What happens to the tourist who is falsely accused of stealing a watch (as happened right in front of me in plain sight in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar), and both victim and scammer appear in such a kangaroo court?

First off, how do your compel the scammer to appear? It's not possible. Secondly, the victim and her husband have to take a day out of their 1 week vacation to negotiate the bleak mega-slowness of a Thai judicial venue.

But let's pretend both parties show up: The judge will either dismiss the whole thing, after several hours or days of listening and asking the wrong questions. The judge will probably side with the scamming vendor because he's a fellow Thai. At worst, there will be a reprimand for the vendor, and maybe a 100 baht fine. If the process plays out, it will take between 5 hours and 5 months.

Edited by maidu

Such a shame the comments in this thread differ so much from the reality in court I deal with everyday.

So many bar room lawyers in this thread just shooting the breeze it is amazing!

The biggest problem dealing with tourists in the Thai Judiciary is translation and a lack of understanding of the judicial process.

I see this new court being set up, as helping resolve small issues quickly and cleanly, something the present legal system was never designed to do.

Such a shame the comments in this thread differ so much from the reality in court I deal with everyday.

The biggest problem dealing with tourists in the Thai Judiciary is translation and a lack of understanding of the judicial process.

I see this new court being set up, as helping resolve small issues quickly and cleanly, something the present legal system was never designed to do.

Don't the police now resolve small issues quickly and cleanly? Or will the police now be taken out of the tea money equation and all will go through the court system.

Can't imagine the BiB will be too pleased about losing their cut.

• Like 1

i always tell friends and family to go to other countries for their holidays and go see them there,conclusion i get a holiday so do they,and they dont get ripped off (knowingly),,,,,,,,shame to do it but why should they lose there hard earned money to a load of c--ts

Is this court to try the tourists or the Thais? Makes no sense to me. Rules is rules the law is the law. A revamp of the law and the law enforcers is whats needed.. But hey I can hear it now the police asking the tourist if they will like to go to a Thai court or a tourist court but the tourist vourt is more expensive but quicker...Have to love Thailand

They set up turist police and court in italy app. 100 km from Napoli.

Only 2 bus connections evry day. But most language were spoken on the police station.

You could go in the morning and return late afternoon. And i one year crimes against turists fell by more than 80 %

TAT are really spreading thier wings. Establishing schools and now courts of justice.

What is the point of having a specific tourist court if the BIB don't get off thier arse and do something before the tourist victim's visa expires and they return to thier homeland. Your average tourist is only in the country for around 10 days. Maybe this court is to process tourists who refuse to pay the scammers.

The TAT and the Tourism Ministry are completely different entities... The TAT is primarily a tourism marketing department of the government and doesn't actually have a seat in the cabinet.

"Tourism Minister Somsak Phurisrisak said on Monday that the idea of the tourist court establishment was conceived to provide fair and better protection to visiting travelers after more and more have been reportedly harmed while traveling in Thailand."

The idea cheesy.gif

TAT are really spreading thier wings. Establishing schools and now courts of justice.

What is the point of having a specific tourist court if the BIB don't get off thier arse and do something before the tourist victim's visa expires and they return to thier homeland. Your average tourist is only in the country for around 10 days. Maybe this court is to process tourists who refuse to pay the scammers.

The TAT and the Tourism Ministry are completely different entities... The TAT is primarily a tourism marketing department of the government and doesn't actually have a seat in the cabinet.

I've tried dealing with TAT. They're so busy putting up pretty pictures of ideal Thailand, that there isn't any way to contact them about anything.

• Like 1

Don't the police now resolve small issues quickly and cleanly? Or will the police now be taken out of the tea money equation and all will go through the court system.

Can't imagine the BiB will be too pleased about losing their cut.

Does anyone remember the plan they had for 7/11 to handle all tourist complaints? What ever come of that?

Pure "Spin" by TAT

They recognize that tourists have issues with safety,corruption etc , and that government and police are incapable of change , so,fearful of an adverse affect on tourism numbers , attempt to counter with this form of rhetoric .

If the court requires judgement, the first thing required is to get the police to 'police' incidents. Setting up a court of justice is not going to solve a lot of the issues unless criminals are dealt with correctly. Or is this going to be one law for Thai's and one for Farang?

Well it's already one price for thai and another for falang, and so it will be for the speedy large falang fine to pay, what els would it be for? justice? don't make me cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I've tried dealing with TAT. They're so busy putting up pretty pictures of ideal Thailand, that there isn't any way to contact them about anything.

I think that is one of the reasons the tourism ministry was created... I've dealt with them several times "professionally" and you couldn't call them decisive.

Farang court hearing.

Judge: (through interpreter): "Mr. Jones, you have accused Somchi Immathathief, the owner of Wescamyou Jet Ski's of charging you for damages to a jet ski that where there before on you rented it."

Mr. Jones: "Yes, your honor."

Judge: "And you say you have photos taken before you rented it, and when you returned it, is that right?"

Mr. Jones: "Yes, your honor, and you can clearly see the damages were already there."

Judge looks at photos for a minute: "Mr. Jones, the before and after photos you have presented are of two different jet skis."

Mr. Jones: "I beg to differ, your honor, look at the number on both photos and you will see that it is the same one."

Judge: "No, Mr. Jones, they are definitely different. They only look the same because of the angle of the sunlight and camera. Clearly two different jet skis. Besides, Somchi is a respected business man here, and is also 2nd cousin, twice removed from my wife, and godfather to the youngest son of the police office you made your complaint to."

Mr. Jones: "Say what?!"

Judge: "Mr. Jones, the court finds your case without merit, and you will now have to pay court costs of 20,000 baht, and also compensate Somchi for his time coming here, which will be another 20,000 baht."

Mr. Jones: "But, your honor..."

Judge: "No 'buts', Mr. Jones. We are a fair and reasonable court. Oh, by the way, if you don't have the money right now, that's fine. We can wait for you to get it, but you will have to stay in jail, with the added cost of 2,000 baht a day until it is paid. Thank you, and please enjoy your stay in Amazing Thailand."

Edited by Just1Voice
  • Like 1

Imagine this goes down the same path as the tourist police, police volunteers. Soon enough you will have volunteer judges(unpaid and impartial of course 555). It brings a smile to my face when I see the volunteer police riding bicycles on the sidewalk with blinding LED lights directly toward me, oblivious to safety or pedestrians. It may not be so funny to be in a court setting with the same scholars passing judgement as they please.

In summary, the court system here doesn't need a tourist court it needs a functioning system for everyone, it doesn't even need to be in English, it needs to be efficient and transparent. Translation isn't the issue at all.