Australian Falls To His Death From 21St Floor Jomtien Condominium

Rimmer

Who would jump with a camera? He didn't make pics, and wasn't standing on the chair to have a better view, not on floor 21. I think he leaned against the railing, checked pics on the display, and the camera slipped out of his hands. He reached over the railing trying to catch it, and went over.

I want a statistician to compare the 'accident' frequency of low floor dwellers to high floor dwellers.

Foul play should show as a higher frequency high floor bias because if you push a guy off a low floor he might live and ping you for it (so you wouldn't do it).

And then what take it to the BiB's? If it can be said a Farrang jumped zero paperwork for the BiB's anything else is just a head bang.

It seems that everyone has overlooked the fact that the deceased man was on medication for depressive

disorder disease as stated in the PDN news report post 5.

If taken with alcohol, then one can only wonder what the effects could be on the state of his mind before he

fell or willingly jumped.

R.I.P

Tragic loss of life. I do wonder though why Thailand's press insist on showing dead bodies both in the press and on TV. To me it just shows no respect at all for his family because I doubt they would have been told before going to press.

This is just a general comment and not specifically directed to the man in question in this thread. Maybe the answer to your question is that Thai culture is different than that from wherever it is you, and others who feel similarly, come from. I never understood this Western cultural concern with depicting a dead body, or even naming the deceased, before the next of kin have been told of the death. I don't get it.

In Thai/Buddhist cultures, one goal, as I understand it, is to see things for what they really are; and to deeply connect actions with their consequences...action and reaction...cause and effect. For the former, a dead body is just that, a dead body...no more no less; the same as a living body. Do you have a problem showing a living body...if not, why a dead one?

In the case of showing a body dead from an accident or other event, in showing the dead body the viewer can directly see the results of a particular action. This can then be an instructional device to reinforce either positive values or courses of action over negative ones. I think it is completely neutral as to any intended disrespect to the family of the deceased.

Finally, I think most Westerners have an irrational fear of death (funny that as so many of them profess belief in a faith system that promises them an eternal afterlife in perfect health (and with 72 virgins [can I put in my order that they be ladyboys] in some illiterations) you would think they would be most eager to get to such a place so death would be most welcome to them. Thais/Buddhists mostly don't share this fear and therefore, I put it to you that these images that seem so distressing to most Westerners are not so to them.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

In Thai/Buddhist cultures, one goal, as I understand it, is to see things for what they really are; and to deeply connect actions with their consequences...action and reaction...cause and effect. For the former, a dead body is just that, a dead body...no more no less; the same as a living body. Do you have a problem showing a living body...if not, why a dead one?

This may be so but Thai Buddhists are also some of the worst offenders possible when it comes to gawping at road accidents. Rubber-necking and viewing gory news photos seem to be very similar practices to me, and I doubt that live bodies would attract as much interest (unless maybe they were naked).

In the case of showing a body dead from an accident or other event, in showing the dead body the viewer can directly see the results of a particular action. This can then be an instructional device to reinforce either positive values or courses of action over negative ones. I think it is completely neutral as to any intended disrespect to the family of the deceased.

Finally, I think most Westerners have an irrational fear of death (funny that as so many of them profess belief in a faith system that promises them an eternal afterlife in perfect health (and with 72 virgins [can I put in my order that they be ladyboys] in some illiterations) you would think they would be most eager to get to such a place so death would be most welcome to them. Thais/Buddhists mostly don't share this fear and therefore, I put it to you that these images that seem so distressing to most Westerners are not so to them.

OMGINPATTAYA you are quite right in your understanding of Buddhism. The main goal of Buddhism is to accept suffering and to learn that the path from suffering is through non attachment. When someone dies they still live on in the cycle of Samsara (birth/rebirth) only the physical body is discarded. A dead body means nothing except freedom and the chance to enjoy the good karma accrued during the past life. It amazes me that the only thing you can guarantee is you will one day die but in the West people are never prepared for it and as you say live in fear of the inevitable.

This may be so but Thai Buddhists are also some of the worst offenders possible when it comes to gawping at road accidents. Rubber-necking and viewing gory news photos seem to be very similar practices to me, and I doubt that live bodies would attract as much interest (unless maybe they were naked).

And why not one of them has been set free from this life ready to be reborn into their new life.

Tragic loss of life. I do wonder though why Thailand's press insist on showing dead bodies both in the press and on TV. To me it just shows no respect at all for his family because I doubt they would have been told before going to press.

This is just a general comment and not specifically directed to the man in question in this thread. Maybe the answer to your question is that Thai culture is different than that from wherever it is you, and others who feel similarly, come from. I never understood this Western cultural concern with depicting a dead body, or even naming the deceased, before the next of kin have been told of the death. I don't get it.

I don't get this. Where do the 72 virgins come from? Are virgins dying at a rate of 72 times non-virgins? Or are they imported from somewhere? Another dimension perhaps?

• Like 1

Christians face some dilemmas in heaven as well. What wife do you want to be with? The first you lost in an accident, or the second who stayed with you until your death? What if they had lovers they prefer to spend eternity with? You probably wish to be reincarnated as a young stud of 20 or so and resembling Apollo, but what if your parents want you to be the cute toddler again?

But police said he may have lost his balance while standing on a chair to take photos from his balcony. What at 4:30 a.m?

R.I.P. if justice is deserved I hope it comes......

Why not, are there designated photography hours?

Are you reallyy askibng a serious question here?

Have you tried taking a picture at 4.30am from a 20 odd floor condo? Its kinda dark and the camera flash isnt going to do a lot.

Yes, I am.

Actually you're probably quite right, it is impossible to take a photograph at night, it has never been done before.

Some say, make the railings higher. But i cannot see why they need balconies at all on such high buildings. They should be banned, what is their purpose, one can see just as much from a sealed window.

I live on a 26th. floor and i don't see at all why i should give up my beloved balcony. Just to feel the wind blowing, to do some great shots, having a drink at sunset, the reasons are countless and just because some people cant take care them self I wont give up the benefits of the balcony...

So it is not at all only to see something, first experience having a balcony in a high rise and then talk...