Looking For Real Bacon

Bangkok Barry

Tutsiwarrior - Yes, I've been to the U.S. and I loved it, then again I was 13 years old and it was Florida which isn't the real America which I would like to see one day, but certainly not L.A. which I avoided on my first travel trip and opted to go to Bangkok again.

David M, some very good points and I'd forgotten about cheddar and stilton.

I loathe the patronising, advertising, greedy beyond belief fast food companies and - Georgie Porgie: although I've enjoyed the occasional McD's, I have always felt like crap afterwards and hungry again shortly after that and not long after digestion that my stools become sloppy and dissolve upon splashdown.

One lesson us Yanks and Limey's are learning is not to feed shit to our cattle because now we're both paying the price and it serves us right for being greedy and having such disrespect for our cows.

Japanese beef is the best, they feed their cows beer, chips and garlic and the resulting meat is tasty and safe enough to eat raw... Had some today in fact.

As for French food, it's worse than Yank food - who wants to eat food produced by a nation that are known to deffacate whilst in the shower and push their stools down the plughole with their big toe?

Must say though, the bidet is the best invention since the Thai bum-gun.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gentleman Scamp Posted on Wed 2004-02-18, 09:45:21

Must say though, the bidet is the best invention since the Thai bum-gun.
I agree, I love that thing, but we call it... the bung-hole squirter, however it is really an American invention It was imported and meant for something like washing dishes, however the Thais get credit for improvising with it, and turned it into the greatest Thai discovery of all time.

As to the passage below, I can see all that, but I guess I'm used to it. All I know is when I first came to this area and there were no McDonalds outside of Bangkok, that would be the first place everybody hit when passing through the big city. Not just Americans either.

although I've enjoyed the occasional McD's, I have always felt like crap afterwards and hungry again shortly after that and not long after digestion that my stools become sloppy and dissolve upon splashdown.

By the way, if you go to America again, visit San Francisco, New Orleans or New York if you want to see how good American food can be. I'd almost swear that there isn't a bad restaurant in the whole City of San Francisco!

Guest IT Manager
get real you dumb limey...nobody in the world wants the English stuff when the american variety is available...a bacon butty? once the brine has boiled out you ain't got nothing left. Very nice smoked US style bacon available everywhere and superior for BLT sandwiches anywhere in the world. And forget the brown sauce...use mayonaisse like white folks...

don't know why the thais learned how to drive on the wrong side of the road...

Thank God for American quisiune over here, the country has improved so much since the outbreak of fast food joints and the new generation of obese Thai's, many who are also discovering the delights of acne.

It's good to see the Thai's develop their wonderful country by following the example of the worlds most popular and intelligent country, the country which is also encouraging schoolkids to learn a language which it has the front to call 'English'.

Look forward to the McDonalds on Ko Samet.

You nincompoop. There is no such thing as American Quisine.

Misspelling - 12 hour holiday donkey.

Mr. ######, actually, I think that this guy is on your side. He was mispelling American "cuisine" to show his absolute distain for it, however, if you are really banning people for poor spelling, please, please do a search on all of the, so-called, gentleman's old posts. That should get him out of my hair for a least the next lifetime! :o

Mr. ######, actually, I think that this guy is on your side. He was mispelling American "cuisine" to show his absolute distain for it, however, if you are really banning people for poor spelling, please, please do a search on all of the, so-called, gentleman's old posts. That should get him out of my hair for a least the next lifetime!

A candidate for post of the year (first prize a night with ###### and Dr Patpong, second prize an entire day with ###### and Dr Patpong).

I'm aware that America does have some great regional cuisine, and like Britain has learned to adapt what visitors have brought with them. It's a shame Colonel Sanders has made Kentucky synonymous with greasy fried chicken and not excellent ham which the state produces in abundance. Creole food is great, but not confined to a corner of the USA. It can be found in the Carribean and as far away as the Seychelles (the French/slave link). But as Americans probably gave their slaves more of an incentive, the results are probably better there.

Sorry I can't recommend any decent English restaurants. Being the son of one of London's finest chefs did rather spoil me.

So much for American food.

Americans have become the Fattest People in the World, because their willing to sacrifice flavour, freshness, variety and a strong connection to the natural world for safe, predictable, boring homogenized, processed food types.

Take McDonald’s and the like fast food restaurants that the Americans have come to depend on. You appear to have many choices - a Big Mac, a cheeseburger, a quarter pounder, a double quarter pounder or a "Big 'N' Tasty" etc etc - but they're all pre-packaged, frozen, or pre-cooked crap. If they want to be radical, they even have fried chicken, fried fish pieces, all mass produced and full of fat and chemicals. In addition they have no control over portion size, or the way your meal is cooked.

I wonder, as Americans grew wealthier and fatter did they also gain stupidity and think no one would notice the fact that Americans are so ashamed of appearing gluttonous that they won't order two orders of fries, instead they invented the “Supersize” “Go Large” portions and along with it, a nation of super sized people.

So come on you Americans, tell us what you feel is your favourite AMERICAN cuisine (but before you write, better you find out it’s origin)

Take that. from A Brit

Mr. Spellbound, we've been over this already, but the simplest answer to every point that you made is:

Fish and Chips

Bangers and Mash

Steak and Kidney Pie

Mr. Spellbound, wouldn't you agree that this is a rather severe case of the pot calling the kettle black?

By the way, my favorite AMERICAN food is corn on the cob. :o

Peace man! :D

Take McDonald’s and the like fast food restaurants that the Americans have come to depend on. You appear to have many choices - a Big Mac, a cheeseburger, a quarter pounder, a double quarter pounder or a "Big 'N' Tasty" etc etc - but they're all pre-packaged, frozen, or pre-cooked crap. If they want to be radical, they even have fried chicken, fried fish pieces, all mass produced and full of fat and chemicals. In addition they have no control over portion size, or the way your meal is cooked.

I wonder, as Americans grew wealthier and fatter did they also gain stupidity and think no one would notice the fact that Americans are so ashamed of appearing gluttonous that they won't order two orders of fries, instead they invented the “Supersize” “Go Large” portions and along with it, a nation of super sized people.

that is the most incorrect stereotyped summary from a british retard i have ever heard. have you ever been to california? there are millions of tofu lovin' vegetarian beautiful chicks that won't touch meat let alone mcdonalds. why would you blame mcdonalds and burger king on americans? both are already in thailand. yes if anyone eats it here or over there they are eating junk, hence the term junk food. your statement of americans depending on it? wrong, stop watching BBC all day.
So come on you Americans, tell us what you feel is your favourite AMERICAN cuisine (but before you write, better you find out it’s origin)

bbq tri tip steak . central coast california

philly cheese steak . philadelphia

new england clam chowder . boston

manhattan clam chowder . new york

mexican food . southern california

corn on the cob . everywhere

home made pie, apple, cherry etc . every granny in the usa

delaware chicken . lets skip that one

If you guy's had anything more to offer than hamburgers and peanut butter and jam, sorry - "jello" sandwiches, donuts and hot dogs than maybe you'd have a case to criticise, but I can't think of any desirable American quisuine apart from steak, which you didn't invent anyway - so there!

dear retard number two, jello sandwiches, donuts? we let the police eat that sh+t.

Okay, what's with this bash american cuisine? George is gonna have to move this thread to the Bear Pit. Oops, we are in the Bear Pit!

Huski pointed out a number of viable cuisines and food items that developed in the USA. Though dougnuts are still a bit more popular than he may want to give them credit for. They opened a new Krispy Kreme shop out here in the Northwest and it was big news (at least locally). Major fat bombs but pretty good eating.

Jello sandwiches? I grew up in the Jello Capitol of the world (most Jell-O consumed per capita) and I don't remember one single Jello sandwich being served there. Maybe Jelly? Like PBJ sandwich? Those continue to be majorly popular everywhere in the USA. From Portland Maine to Portland Oregon. New York City even has a restaurant that specializes in them. Bakes it's own oversized loafs so that your sandwich has a similar sandwich size to face space ratio as a grown up that it did when you were a kid eating them.

There's been all sorts of cuisines that have been touted as trendy, some of them are local but remember that USA is made up of mostly immigrants (at some point) and cuisines are influenced by that. Fusion (mixture of American, European and/or Asian cooking has been hot for some time now. Thai has been very popular over here, though it's toned down.

Comfort Foods are big right now. So is cooking/baking. Trendy specialty shops are doing big business. And cooking classes are the "cool" place to go looking for a significant other. Obviously not for those that hate to cook, but for those that don't mind, it is considered at least slightly upscale, charmingly domestic, blah blah blah.

There is a major movement to more "natural" foods here in the states, farmers markets are growing in popularity versus buying whatever is in the bin at your supermarket. Certified organic beef is being touted in "every" meat market and supermarket these days (probably due to mad cow and so forth). Gee, almost like the Europeans were doing for so long.

England gets bashed for being boring foodwise, but hey, how come there are so many English cooks and chefs on the Cable Food Network? Naked Chef, Two Fat Broads, Nigela Whazzhername, are just a couple that jump to mind. Anyway, bash who you want, denigrate whatever cuisine you don't like. The best revenge is to eat and eat well.

Jeepz Malted Milkshake:

4 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream (real ice cream)

2 Tblspoons Malt

1/4 tspoon Vanilla Extract

Chocolate Syrup (to taste, more's better)

Milk (to taste 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup)

Shake machine for two - three minutes. Blender will work if you don't have a shake machine. I use a combo of Hershey's chocolate syrup and Mont Blanc semi-sweet syrup. Richer chocolate flavor. :o

Jeepz

Us Europeans will be expecting a full and proper apology from our American cousins.

STEAK STEAK and more steak, that is not unique to America you fool, no matter what you put on it.

Chowder. Well you can’t even claim that I’m afraid.

The origin of chowder dates back to the early 1700's. There are early European references made in the Cornwall region of South Western England and in the Brittany region of North Western France. It is interesting to note these two regions are located across the English Channel from one another. The fisherman who worked in these waters would place a large pot or caldron (chaudiere in French) over a hot fire to cook all day. They made stock with milk (if available) or a broth with water (if not too tainted) and added salt pork, vegetables and fish as they became available. On board the fishing boats they would add "hardtack" (a hearty bread) to the stock to help thicken it. After a hard day of work the pot of "jowter" (Eng.) or "chaudiere" (Fr.) became the meal of the day.

You are also so proud of the Great Apple Pie. Best you thank the Brits again my friend.

The word pie comes from the Gaelic pighe. These pies originally contained meat but by the 1500s fruit pies began to appear in England. And guess what the very first fruit used in pies was... yes, apple! It would just serve us right if those damned Limeys started saying as English as apple pie.

Corn on the Cob / Sweetcorn yes that is a true American home grown product, and I thank you for that. I love it, and thank you Mr Kellogg for Cornflakes their a wonderful product.

Going out now to eat a Indian curry, the most eaten food in the UK.

Chill Huski , we all can be nationalistic at times, and I do love going to the USA for all the good points (including our Bastardised laungage and food) you lot ain't that bad really.

PIP PIP Governor.

First of all, classic that a simple request for somewhere to buy decent English bacon, not American crap, should be elevated (?) to Bear Pit status. What sensitive admins we have these days, who'd see a political comment in an argument over the culinary delights of mushy peas! :o

Secondly, David M, while doing a fine job in letting our ignorant gallic and new world brethren know that there is such a thing as English cuisine and it is something that not only every blue-blooded Anglo-Saxon can be proud of, but British (the wider countrymen) cooks are absolute masters at learning and adapting other's cusines and serving up the finest (and unfortunately, often most expensive) examples of it on this planet. But you got so carried away with overstepping the bounds of the argument and including ale, which of course as everyone with a palate knows, is undisputedly the finest in the world (see Rinrada for details, but don't expect him to buy you a pint). :D No, you should've lifted up some othe examples of mouth-watering home-grown food, like jellied eels (Thames estuary towns); fried elvers (Gloucestershire); devils on horseback (Whitstable?); Melton Mowbray pork pies; Cornish pasties; Devon clotted cream on scones or apple pie (stick it up your cultural hole yanks on that one!); baked Test brown trout and almonds on watercress salad; oak smoked hams all over the country; Geordie kippers; what's the point of going on - point proved to New World ,unwashed heathens, who wouldn't know a decent homegrown plate of food if it bit 'em on their fat, bloated bellies and said "corn-on-the cob" (as if Aztecs and Incas weren't eating that for centuries before Georgies arrival!) :D

The comment about Americans liking HUGE portions reminded me about an incident that brought a smile to my face while I was queuing for my breakfast biscuit at a MacDonalds in Indianapolis. A generously proportioned lady asked for, and I quote, "A diet coke. And can you super-size that."

She just didn't get it, did she. And for BREAKFAST too. Jeez.

We have to remember that Americans with more than 500 brain cells actually get out of the place, and U.S. expats usualy know what they're talking about... And to give Georgie credit, he has fought his corner boldly whilst also giving credit where it's due to our British nosh.

I think us English are everything the Americans say we are, miserable, overly PC, add to that aggressive and obsessed with celebrity - which the Yanks are too as well as being fat and stupid.

It's endless friendly banter that has gone on for years and I hope will continue for years more.

It's in our nature to diss our neighbours and cousins.

Plachon, I try and mentally block out some of the finest dishes from back home as I haven't a hope in h3ll of finding them here. Then again, it's not easy to find cock-a-leekie or lancashire hotpot in the UK, either. Every now and then, we manage to create a dish which is not only better than what we might find across the channel, but manages to remind our neighbours of English supremacy at the same time. Beef Wellington is a classic example.

Huski, Burger King was bought by British investors about 10 years ago, but they sold it back to Americans. While I'm sure there are millions of Americans who are very careful about what they eat, there's no denying the country has more obese people per capita than almost anywhere else on earth.

Pies date back to saxon times in England. English probably invented them. Along with the sandwich. My grandfather's family (English) also gave the world its first restaurant franchise chain (no, it didn't serve junk food). Very few countries have surpassed the culinary achievements of England/Britain.

Shame on all you septics that have tried to drag down British cuisine, if it wasn't for the gallant British cooks on the Mayflower you would all be speaking spanish anyway... hang on, it is your majority language already isn't it!!! :D

Yes there are a lot of fine foods in the US, but sadly they don't appear to be home spun, only Imported european bastardisations.

Face facts you only really have Macdonalds as your contribution to 'global' cuisine, lardy lardy lardarse!

:o

British/Danish bacon is the only decent bacon, nothing compares. By the way they sell very nice bacon in the Patong deli supermarket, in Phuket, it is very close to the real thing.

PS thanks to all you septics that wrote fine and upstanding pieces on the great british grub debate, you truely are global gormets if you like our black pudding, haggis and pork pies, well done.

Basher

basher...don't be going on about the Mayflower and Spanish...gives ammo for those that talk about 1944 and German. There were also Italians and Portuguese all of which would have given a lighter cast to the "world language' as we presently know it...latinate languages, much easier to learn and more lyrical.

If we agree that the US is a melting pot then we can state the following:

- no spuds for your Sunday lunch...comes from the Andes

- no chilies for your vindaloo...comes from mexico/central america

- as well as avocados and turkeys and most of the fresh fruit and vegetables you get...came from the colonies somewhere down the line.

- cornish pies come from argentina where they are called saltenas...puss english just remove the chiles and garlic (why is it a badge of honor in england to profess dislike of garlic?...some jive french thing?...how silly)

- black pudding comes from all over latin america and is called morcilla...I had both in Glasgow and in Bolivia...both were inedible.

Fast food comes from the US as the entrepenuer had less of local tradition to counter and it fitted the hussle bustle of US daily life. Don't know what to say about fish and chips except that people in the UK are poor in comparison and a small cod and chips is cheap and filling.

To put a lid on the bacon debate...american streaky bacon and english bacon are different cuts of the same sow and prepared and cured differently. Personally I prefer US bacon for BLTs with mayonnaise...but I am not adverse to a bacon sarny with brown sauce in the UK...good for breakfast with a pot of strong tea...

I need another nomination for the Peace Prize award. Tutsi; two time Nobel laureate re: bacon wars in Thailand...please help me out...

Fast food comes from the US as the entrepenuer had less of local tradition to counter and it fitted the hussle bustle of US daily life. Don't know what to say about fish and chips except that people in the UK are poor in comparison and a small cod and chips is cheap and filling.

I need another nomination for the Peace Prize award. Tutsi; two time Nobel laureate re: bacon wars in Thailand...please help me out...

blinkin 'eck Tucker, when woz the last time you was back in Britten? If you think a small cod and chips is cheap, it can't have been in the last 10 years, or your small portion was the size of a sprat or Georgie Jr's cod-piece if it was. :o Cod has become that rare and hence, expensive, that it surpassed the price of salmon years ago and is now the most pricey fish down the chippie. Haddock or coley might be more to your pocket's liking these days, or just the deep fried, batter- covered piece of lard masquerading as a sausage, mushy peas and chips if you're really hard up. So you can forget any Nobel nominations from this quarter buddy, til you get up to speed on the superior nature of British cuisine today! Anyway, I voted for you and Nelson back in '89. :D

Now we've established that Britain has the best bacon in the world, anyone for a debate over our best chips (that's "freedom fries" to you red-necks out there) in the world. :D

Chips are British - accept no immitations.

Incedentally, I have just consumed a McDonalds in Seacon Square out of sheer hunger and desperation, and there are leaflets all over the place promoting and detailing the nutritional value and content of McDonalds food.

The information inside is incredible, it is patronising and it is bullshit beyond belief.

Also, you know them stupid countdown timers they have on the counter to see if you can get servrd within 60 seconds or not? Well I took nearly 2 minutes to recieve my "food", so as they took longer than 1 minute to serve me I got a voucher that entitled me to a McDonalds ice tea for only 9 baht!!!

Jesus, how greedy and patronising at the same time can one company get? McDonalds works so well over here because it's all about smiling and getting as much money as is possible out of the punter.

With all due respect to our cousins, it was the Americans who were gullible enough to let this become a sucess, and the rest of us that have been lazy enough to let this become a sucess.

basher...don't be going on about the Mayflower and Spanish...gives ammo for those that talk about 1944 and German. There were also Italians and Portuguese all of which would have given a lighter cast to the "world language' as we presently know it...latinate languages, much easier to learn and more lyrical.

If we agree that the US is a melting pot then we can state the following:

- no spuds for your Sunday lunch...comes from the Andes

- no chilies for your vindaloo...comes from mexico/central america

- as well as avocados and turkeys and most of the fresh fruit and vegetables you get...came from the colonies somewhere down the line.

- cornish pies come from argentina where they are called saltenas...puss english just remove the chiles and garlic (why is it a badge of honor in england to profess dislike of garlic?...some jive french thing?...how silly)

- black pudding comes from all over latin america and is called morcilla...I had both in Glasgow and in Bolivia...both were inedible.

To put a lid on the bacon debate...american streaky bacon and english bacon are different cuts of the same sow and prepared and cured differently. Personally I prefer US bacon for BLTs with mayonnaise...but I am not adverse to a bacon sarny with brown sauce in the UK...good for breakfast with a pot of strong tea...

Plachon,

good post, fond memories of Grange hill, by the way it was 'Flippin heck' what a class show..!!

You completely right about fish and chips, too expensive for common folk, curry is cheaper.

tutsiwarrior are you mental? how could a northen eastern english dish like Black Pudding come from anywahere but the north east, I am pretty sure it would have been a viking dish long before we took it to the Americas...

I wonder why Cornish pies are so called.... could it be a cornish connection? By the way the reason why they have that ridge of pastry is so the miners that used to eat then didn't have to waste time washing their hands, they just disposed of the dirty pastry and ate the nice clean tastey middle

Similarities don't quite cut it mate!

Garlic? you must have a complete collection of Ealing made movies if you are still thinking that the UK is some Garlic hating 50's black and white existance... silly man.

Don't mention the war...... I have once but i think I got away with it!

Nobel prize, it goes down like a stick of dynamite.....

yeah...you guys are right...I withdraw my appeal for nomination for next years' awards.

No doubt about where to get the best chips...however in Blighty a chinese run chip shop will give you the real goods, anyplace run by white folks has only got a soggy product that even a pissbum drunk in Glasgow wouldn't eat.

re: black pudding and pasties...brits semi-colonized argentina when they were building railways there in 19th century so maybe the occurrence of blood sausage and meat pies in that region were a result thereof. I'll have to check my notes as Nobel Laureate of Literature by way of my history training to check the facts.

re: garlic...when I was working in the East Midlands the mention of garlic rather than the odour was enough to have my office mates retching in 1989. I wondered, 'if you like Indian takeaway how could you not like garlic...?' Bizarre.

re: cod and chips...I got to admit that a small order is close to 5 quid these days but was cheaper when we examine the evolution of fast food that I alluded to before. When faced with the present choice of a breaded banger and chips and a big Mac what would you choose? Not much of a choice, I agree...

But I need to get that second Nobel Prize in order to get good reviews for 'Tutsiwarrior's Fish and chips, black pudding and pasties and Indian takeaway' to open in Suphan Buri soon after my retirement

Without a successful business I might starve to death in my old age...my blood on your hands...

Face facts you only really have Macdonalds as your contribution to 'global' cuisine, lardy lardy lardarse!
the fact is mcdonalds is worldwide now and its gross. i'm american and will not eat it, as for your comment of american's contribution...who cares where a particlular food comes from, most of us reading this forum are in thailand now and eating thai food.
Incedentally, I have just consumed a McDonalds in Seacon Square out of sheer hunger and desperation, and there are leaflets all over the place promoting and detailing the nutritional value and content of McDonalds food.

The information inside is incredible, it is patronising and it is bullshit beyond belief.

you're right...well, i'm going to post a link to make sure nobody here eats any more mcdonalds even though i'm american.

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's new documentary, "Super Size Me," details his 30-day McDonald's diet and subsequent health woes.

entlede012204.jpg

Just checked out your link..pretty much confirms what i suppose most of us are well aware of..fast foods are not healthy.

But in fairness to MacDonalds, if you are going to such a study, you really need to do several such establishments, and chack the comparison. I think if you had to live on food from the fish and chip shop for a month, you would be in substantially worse condition than this chap....and I have to say I do like my fish and chips..Quite like Macdonalds too...and American streaky bacon....and Black puddiing--marvelous. Ideally all should wash down by a nice pint of Timothy Taylors. Whoever mentioned this king of beers..mentioned Landlord; and whilst i agree Landlord is a fine drop, I am myself more partial to the "golden best" you dont end up as pissed so quickly.

Blood sausage is common to most European cuisines. The German version is almost like a jelly and is nowhere near as good as black pudding. The French make a blood sausage which is actually sausage shaped. Plenty of garlic in it. Very tasty, too. Spanish morcilla is similar, but not as good. Italians also make it, but I can't remember trying their version.

Basher is spot on about the cornish pasties. BTW, the best place to try one in Thailand is probably the Londoner on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 33.