Looking For Real Bacon

Bangkok Barry

huski...with regard to your comment that us expats in Thailand eat Thai food - you are deluded. If I didn't have Campbell's soup and crackers I'd starve around here...wouldn't give the local food to animals. I get

good broiler chickens, pork ribs and pork loin roast and the family chomps down because we got an oven and they don't. Lovely pork ribs deep fried in a wok???...can you imagine? Let that jerk off with the mouth full of fries live in a place where he can't get it (ie., upcountry Thailand) and see what he says...dumbshit...

the local food is my biggest problem after being here for a year...can't find ground beef in Tesco's or canned beans...half pound of swiss cheese costs 250 baht...plenty of smelly indefinable substances by the fish counter...

big wet patch...would love to try Tim Taylor's 'non Landlord' brew but where do you find it outside of N yorkshire? MacDonalds fries ain't bad with the local chile sauce, I have to admit...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure as ###### know how to torture yourself Tuts. You're in the LOGFAW (Land of great food and women), you're eating all that antibiotic-laced shit? Now I know why you've been having trouble logging on - spending all your time driving round the <deleted> supermarkets trying to find something to eat and suffering third degree malnutrition in the process. There's far better quality food down the local markets, mate, but don't take my word for it. :o

TUTs; We got a stove with oven,I had a hard time finding one tho, now we have roast pork loin with spuds,oven roast ribs and kraut,get ground beef at MAKRO in Phitsanulouk so make real texas chili when I can get the pinto beans that a friend gets for me in Pataya,and the jalapinos at the local mkt.

And next time you are in Portland Oregon,go out on S.E. STARK to about 78th st. and there is the COUNTRY KITCHEN and they got a 72 oz sirloin that if you can eat it all with the trimmins in 1 hr.,its yours,if you cant,it will cost you about $50.

Kevin...I remember you from our discussions regarding life in the woods before I became incommunicado...real good to hear from you. Re: Texas chili...is it possible without armadillo roadkill? Jalapeno chiles in Thailand?...I refuse to believe...although the small green variety that we grow next to the house is a good substitute. No joy with local dry kidney beans...you can soak and boil the shit out of them and they still crunch like rocks. What do you use to marinate the ribs?

big wet patch...do you mean that Tim Taylors is produced in the same county as Sheffield/Leeds? Holy shit...wouldn't ever know it...as the other bitter up there is more well known...Tetleys has a metallic taste akin to the aroma of dried blood on a maxipad (useta clean toilets in the union building at university part time as a student).

IT...did your son just use just juices for the gravy or does he have a line on Bisto?...synthetic but lovely on roast meats and spuds when nothing else is available...

plachon...the only chicken I can get down the local market are layers not broilers...don't even want to waste the fuel on that stuff. Can get nice pork ribs for 60 baht/kilo, the marinating sauce comes from Tesco and is expensive however, could probably blend it myself if I had the inclination...down the wat every week can get local shrimp for 100 baht/kilo. Local beef as you probably know is inedible and I tried to get one of the local butchers to grind up a kilo but he wouldn't do it...so forget chili and meatloaf.

I try, folks I try...and have made the best of available resources. I refuse to eat anything made from offal, gristle or with nam pla and that excludes about 95% of the offering in the local food stalls...

I did manage to make a nice curry with packaged curry powder, cauliflower and potatoes in defiance of the odds...family wouldn't eat it...

I try, folks I try...and have made the best of available resources. I refuse to eat anything made from offal, gristle or with nam pla and that excludes about 95% of the offering in the local food stalls...

Therein lies the heart of your gastronomical problems me ol' China. If you can't stomach nam pla, then you're in the wrong <deleted>' country. Let's face it Tuts, you're a fusspot of the first order and there's little hope for you dude. Now go and stand in the corner and repeat "I will eat my gung chae nam pla and seua rong hai", 50 times, 'til you're cured of this terrible malady. :o

And I thonght me missus was fussy for turning her nose up at marmite sarnies and extra ripe avocadoes! (She snaffled the little prawns & lettuce fast enough but left the delicious fruit). :D

The thing I like about Thai food is you don't get tired of the same old sh1t every day. You can, quite literally, eat a different dish every single day throughout the year.

It can be tough for the newbie getting used to Issan hot or the amount of garlic in some dishes but one of my all-time favorites is Thai Red Curry w/Ganja cooked in! Man, you can eat that all night long... :o

Boon Mee

Tutsi, this is sad mate, you are in the wrong country if you can't eat great thai food, or at least in the wrong area if you can't get good wholesome thai food. It is the best food in the world and here is the only place it tastes right, this is because of the inherent freshness of everything at the markets. I for 1 love it all...

I also like Marmite too by the way and always carry it with me on my travels, Vegimite doesn't come close, it's weak and for girls.... or Aussies...

Tom yum Kai rules!!

I understand how Tutsiwarrior feels.

I love "Asian" food, in general, but am not so hot on Thai in particular. I can't really say why. Something about the lack of "good" vegetables (those Thai leaves and tree bark veggies make me feel like I'm going to choke), and maybe the herbs and sugar that they put on everything.

Anyway, I have my favorites. Kow Man Guy, Jup Chai, Guy Yung, etc., but I much prefer Chinese or Japanese food.

I must confess I find most Thai food lousy. But plenty of foreigners enjoy it, so Thais are doing a good job of pleasing the majority. I find the best Thai food is served in up-market restaurants where they spend a bit more on ingredients. I suppose the same could be said for any cuisine, though. Cheaper places which rely on chillis and sugar for taste are dreadful.

Given a choice, I would rather have Indian, Persian, Turkish or Malay/Indonesian food.

Over the years, it has become much easier to buy the ingredients for making western food in Thailand. Even in the provinces. The 100% or more import duty on imported food is criminal, though. Here's hoping the WTO will force Thailand to lower its tariffs.

davidm...I hear you mate, the various national cuisine you mention I'm familiar with and is definitely superior to the local offering...(ahhh, mie ayam from a cart for breakfast every morning, delicious and highly addictive...compare that to khao man gai that is the equivalent local morning fare, drink the broth and leave the rest)

however I must indicate that my critique of local cuisine has to do with a limited offering in a rural environment, ie., the local food stalls and my wife's preference and her family...they are poor farmers and are used to and prefer preparations that most falangs gag with the smell, much less eating them.

plachon...you baaad but have you ever had gang sum? I had to prohibit my wife from its preparation as when she did the entire apartment block in Abu Dhabi stank of excrement/dirty socks for days after...the neighbors would complain.

basher...I agree that the best fresh ingredients are available down the market and I try to utilise them whenever possible. However the locals can take perfectly wonderful ingredients, throw in pig lungs, chicken gristle or mushy, bony river fish and douse it all with nam pla and ruin it. Why would anyone take fish...smells and taste like fish, then pour in nam pla to make it smell like rotten pussy? I don't understand...unless it is to justify the addition of handfuls of chiles to mask the flavor by cauterizing the palate.

this is a lively thread...lets keep it going

Well I guess it's a love/hate thing but Nam Pla is king in my house, mixed with sugar and used as a dip for fruit, it doesn't get much better than that... except for hot fragrant rice with a crispy fried egg on top and Maggi sauce...mmmmm

My favorite quick snack after a few Jars down the rub a dub.

I have a feeling it is a previous life experiance thing with the thai food, My missus reckons I must have been thai in a life before.

And another fav is Cow Moo Dang in the mornings or those little fried donut things and real southern Ko Pii coffee, blows ya brains out!! More please

Georgie, naughty naughty boy has come back, is botty well spanked now?

I find the best Thai food is served in up-market restaurants where they spend a bit more on ingredients. I suppose the same could be said for any cuisine, though. Cheaper places which rely on chillis and sugar for taste are dreadful.

davidm

I'll wager you can't taste the difference between what's served by the noodle vendors and what you'll pay dearly for at say the Oriental/Shangra La Hotels or other "fine" restaurants. Perhaps the "ambiance" is not the same but price is much better.

When my wife & I were living in Brazil and we'd make gai tat (Thai Fried Chicken) the neighbors were all looking for an excuse to come over!

Basher - Tom Yang Gai is great and also Tom Yang Gung.

Georgie - A big welcome back! :o

Boon Mee

rub -a- dub whats that then?

It's where you go when you want to walk the dog and get away from the trouble and strife for a quickie with your chinas. That clear enough? :o

As for Thai food being over or under soused with nam pla, it is a fine line - between rancid minge and pussy heaven. My missus (T&S) used to put too much salt and nam pla on everything, but I've got her to tone it down over the years, and my taste buds are pretty well catered for these days, though she does occasionally go OTT with the pla rah on the som tam. As for gaeng som Tuts, I'd agree, it can be vile stuff to smell and stink the house down, but it seems to be far more popular amongst southern and central Thais, than it is up this way. Probably never eat it more than once a month max., and that's often the deep fried namesake in a big fish shaped platter with water mimosa and fresh veg version, which can be tasty as ######. :D

Isn't this getting all a bit too tame and wussy for the Bear Pit? Now Georgie's back from detention, it's surely only got to be a matter of time before the Gent wades in to resume festivities?

<<Isn't this getting all a bit too tame and wussy for the Bear Pit? Now Georgie's back from detention, it's surely only got to be a matter of time before the Gent wades in to resume festivities?>>

Agree, waaaay too wussy but since the thread is titled "Looking for Real Bacon" it's become a general food thread.

Just where IS the gent??? :o

Boon Mee, ordinarily your bet would be a safe one, but not in my case. My upbringing as a chef's son and years spent hanging around or working in kitchens may have something to do with it. Plain and simple fact is, I know when someone is scrimping on ingredients.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many people think Thai food is even adequate let alone great, but I can't begrudge anyone happiness when it comes to their favourite food.

<<Isn't this getting all a bit too tame and wussy for the Bear Pit? Now Georgie's back from detention, it's surely only got to be a matter of time before the Gent wades in to resume festivities?
>>

Agree, waaaay too wussy but since the thread is titled "Looking for Real Bacon" it's become a general food thread.

Wussy?

Oh how I wish Jamie Oliver was back on UBC, he is such a cheeky chappie and so nice....

Now where did I put my hairspray....

rub -a- dub whats that then?

it's a pub mate, cockney (cockerney to our ameican cousins) rhyming slang mate

Kinda like Americans being referred to as "Septic Tanks" (Yanks)!

I don't take offense - it's rather fun actually. There are so many rhyming slang terms from the UK it's like another language. :o

<<Isn't this getting all a bit too tame and wussy for the Bear Pit? Now Georgie's back from detention, it's surely only got to be a matter of time before the Gent wades in to resume festivities?
>>

Wussy?

Oh how I wish Jamie Oliver was back on UBC, he is such a cheeky chappie and so nice....

Now where did I put my hairspray....

You comin out for a few Britney's then tiger or gonna stay poncin' round with that 'airspray all night?

septic-tanks = yanks???...dustbin lids = kids??? Dr PP are we to endure this doggerel as polite contributors to a civilized forum??? The East end has nothing to show other than coded disrespect, the Kray family and Jack the ripper.

please...not in our lovely LOS...

Oy! shut your mush mate, or I'll get on the dog and bone to yer trouble and strife and tell 'er abaat the little bit of fluff yer keepin' down the flock (polite Isaan rhyming slang for the Big Durian). :o

And Basher, you'll need a couple of ponies, if yer comin down the rub-a-dub after getting your barnet ship shape. :D

:o For all you out there who like traditional sausages (not the pseudo plastic German types marketed in Thai supermarkets), bacon or even black pudding should get a price list from TUPPENY'S - 02 729 6142. A wide variety of English, Irish and American bangers as well as other western culinary delights. Delicious!