Mercedes Benz Cla 2014 Now Available In Thailand, Anybody Is Going To Place An Order ?

Fgis

Hi,

The new Benz CLA just arrived here, but only the CLA 250 AMG, is anybody here going to place an order ?

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/content/thailand/mpc/mpc_thailand_website/enng/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/cla-class/c117/fascination/highlights.flash.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:highlights

Any idea when the standard CLA will come here ? (almost 10L/100kms for the 250AMG is really too much at a time when we should all drive Hybrid cars)

Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think large numbers of TV finest think the price of their motocy was too expensive...maybe ask the same question on a Thai Hi-So site..you might find some posters who would consider buying one..laugh.png

A few years ago Clarkson said this and he said is was due to the way Mercedes priced cars. Before they would design and build the car, then give the price. Then they changed to setting the budget, then building the car.

Ahh, excellent, I finally get an opportunity to vent about my previous Mercedes. I have not forgiven the manufacturer for the large number of electrical system deficiencies, The vehicle itself was solid, and I felt safe in it. Handling was forgiving and excellent. However, the constant burning out of light bulbs, the control sensor defects, the catalytic converter issue a couple days after the warranty expired, the use of cheap plastic in the AC vents that broke easily, all made me detest Mercedes. The JD Power reliability stats attest to these problems. Appreciably, Mercedes says it has addressed the problems with its component suppliers, but it took too many years and Mercedes did not respond well when the problems came out. Personally, I think he vehicles are over priced and no longer provide good value. Mercedes used to be synonymous with German engineering and quality. Not any longer. Still a decent vehicle, but Mercedes plunge intothe economy model market has not served it well. As much as I used to heap disdain on BMW, IMO the Bavarian swashbucklers offer a better value proposition.

BMW has been better value for the past 20 years .

• Like 1

I am afraid I am a scrooge with my money, while I might be able to afford one, I would never pay the price for one here that is what? 1/3 the price back home, and the roads, don't start on the roads.

I much prefer my kick ass truck, black.

Edited by itchybum
  • Like 1

For something half-way between Altis and Camry in size, that gushes style from every angle, has a 211HP 2.0L turbo 7DSG, tons of safety kit, 16KM/L fuel efficiency, and a decent workshop wherever you stop, being 'only' 700K more than a top-spec Camry makes it a nice price IMHO.

If the wife wanted one, I'd place an order.

As for CLA 180, no word at all from Benz - it's either not coming at all (this is what some are suggesting), or only coming once the early birds have all bought the top-spec model.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I didn't like the CLS, nor do I particularly care for the CLA, which takes styling cues from the CLS. They are very nice, but as reviewers have said, they are geared toward the young urbanite stylish crowd. I prefer the standard saloons from Benz.

I guess my young stylish days are behind me. tongue.png

Not sure where your fuel efficiency number came from FGIS, but here's the official spec:

Urban: 11.9 KM/L

Highway: 20.4 KM/L

Combined: 16.1 KM/L

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I didn't like the CLS, nor do I particularly care for the CLA, which takes styling cues from the CLS. They are very nice, but as reviewers have said, they are geared toward the young urbanite stylish crowd. I prefer the standard saloons from Benz.

Only Benz I lust after is the new GL Class, but unlikely we'll see them before the tax restructuring in 2016 :( And by then, the new Audi Q7/8 might have caught my eye, or BMW might have finally made a nice looking SUV (OK not fair, the X6 is OK) ;)

Only Benz I lust after is the new GL Class, but unlikely we'll see them before the tax restructuring in 2016 sad.png And by then, the new Audi Q7/8 might have caught my eye, or BMW might have finally made a nice looking SUV (OK not fair, the X6 is OK) wink.png

On small SUVs, outside of Thailand, the Audi Allroad is getting rave reviews, beating both the X1 and Evoque in head to head in the last Motortrend issue. Crossovers really are starting to eat at sedan sales in the U.S. now anyway. We've yet to have a nice offering here.

For something half-way between Altis and Camry in size, that gushes style from every angle, has a 211HP 2.0L turbo 7DSG, tons of safety kit, 16KM/L fuel efficiency, and a decent workshop wherever you stop, being 'only' 700K more than a top-spec Camry makes it a nice price IMHO.

As for CLA 180, no word at all from Benz - it's either not coming at all (this is what some are suggesting), or only coming once the early birds have all bought the top-spec model.

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to buy this car :) For now my PJS will have to do.

"tax restructuring in 2016 sad.png" -- what is that? Can you explain please? Is it expected to have a +/- effect on car prices/high end car prices in Thailand? Thanks.

In 2016, the excise tax structure changes, replacing the current 220HP threshold with CO2 thresholds.

Generally speaking, everything either remains the same or goes up.

The only real winners will be cars that have engines > 220HP, <3.0L and low CO2 levels - which covers a few Benz, BMW and VW/Audi engines with forced induction wink.png

Edited by IMHO

IMHO, you make a great case for the CLA, (I hope my wife doesn't see it). However the top spec Camry is a tad overpriced so the CLA is more than 1M Baht more than the Camry most buy. Benz have a quiet a few models in the 2 - 2.5M range now, will be interesting to see their sales volume.

Strange that Benz price the newer, sportier and (Some may say) more stylish CLA well below the C250 which is very similar in size and power. I wonder if the "AMG Sport" tag will mean the CLA will ride like a roller skate on our less than perfect roads?

Regardless ,the conclusion to the OP so far seems to be..... No! Never mind MB will have to rely on the Thai rich kids daddy's cheque books.

Edited by Jitar

Only Benz I lust after is the new GL Class, but unlikely we'll see them before the tax restructuring in 2016 sad.png And by then, the new Audi Q7/8 might have caught my eye, or BMW might have finally made a nice looking SUV (OK not fair, the X6 is OK) wink.png

On small SUVs, outside of Thailand, the Audi Allroad is getting rave reviews, beating both the X1 and Evoque in head to head in the last Motortrend issue. Crossovers really are starting to eat at sedan sales in the U.S. now anyway. We've yet to have a nice offering here.

OK, the Allroad is officially classified as a crossover, but it's really more 'jacked up estate' than an SUV - more like the format of the Ford Territory, which I find completely dis-interesting ;)

The GL Class is a proper full-size SUV with 7 seats and still decent trunk space left over, and S-class levels of luxury - so much more suitable for me when carrying visiting CEO's and other suits, especially when touring upcountry.. ;)

IMHO, you make a great case for the CLA, (I hope my wife doesn't see it). However the top spec Camry is a tad overpriced so the CLA is more than 1M Baht more than the Camry most buy. Benz have a quiet a few models in the 2 - 2.5M range now, will be interesting to see their sales volume.

Strange that Benz price the newer, sportier and (Some may say) more stylish CLA well below the C250 which is very similar in size and power. I wonder if the "AMG Sport" tag will mean the CLA will ride like a roller skate on our less than perfect roads?

Regardless ,the conclusion to the OP so far seems to be..... No! Never mind MB will have to rely on the Thai rich kids daddy's cheque books.

Yep, ride quality is a concern - but before a test drive I need to get my wife to like it. If two years ago, I wouldn't have had any problems, but now she's an SUV convert too :(

OK, the Allroad is officially classified as a crossover, but it's really more 'jacked up estate' than an SUV - more like the format of the Ford Territory, which I find completely dis-interesting wink.png

The GL Class is a proper full-size SUV with 7 seats and still decent trunk space left over, and S-class levels of luxury - so much more suitable for me when carrying visiting CEO's and other suits, especially when touring upcountry.. wink.png

The boundary between jacked up estate, cross over and SUV is about as thin as those fake plastic skid plates stuck on the bumpers.

IMHO, the GL looks OK if a bit conservative, don't you think Stuttgart could have done a little better? Maybe it looks better in the metal.

post-149670-0-01352500-1367587298_thumb.

OK, the Allroad is officially classified as a crossover, but it's really more 'jacked up estate' than an SUV - more like the format of the Ford Territory, which I find completely dis-interesting wink.png

The GL Class is a proper full-size SUV with 7 seats and still decent trunk space left over, and S-class levels of luxury - so much more suitable for me when carrying visiting CEO's and other suits, especially when touring upcountry.. wink.png

The boundary between jacked up estate, cross over and SUV is about as thin as those fake plastic skid plates stuck on the bumpers.

IMHO, the GL looks OK if a bit conservative, don't you think Stuttgart could have done a little better? Maybe it looks better in the metal.

I hear ya both on the Allroad. Motortrend calls it an A4 in hiking boots. About right. The GL is nice, for sure, and I like the styling. I'd choose it over the Range Rover, though not if I needed it for serious offroad.

That pic is the old X164 series - I'm talking about the X166 series, like this:

:)

That pic is the old X164 series - I'm talking about the X166 series, like this:

smile.png

Sorry, that pic you posted is actually the GLK class (compact SUV), which is smaller than the ML (midsize). The GL class is a full-size SUV ;)

Ahh, excellent, I finally get an opportunity to vent about my previous Mercedes. I have not forgiven the manufacturer for the large number of electrical system deficiencies, The vehicle itself was solid, and I felt safe in it. Handling was forgiving and excellent. However, the constant burning out of light bulbs, the control sensor defects, the catalytic converter issue a couple days after the warranty expired, the use of cheap plastic in the AC vents that broke easily, all made me detest Mercedes. The JD Power reliability stats attest to these problems. Appreciably, Mercedes says it has addressed the problems with its component suppliers, but it took too many years and Mercedes did not respond well when the problems came out. Personally, I think he vehicles are over priced and no longer provide good value. Mercedes used to be synonymous with German engineering and quality. Not any longer. Still a decent vehicle, but Mercedes plunge intothe economy model market has not served it well. As much as I used to heap disdain on BMW, IMO the Bavarian swashbucklers offer a better value proposition.

BMW has been better value for the past 20 years .

Agree, I will have a BMW any day over a Mercedes. I like the new Audi A7 though.....

2.64 million the CLA with a 2.0 l engine is not good value for money. 211 HP is still pretty good for that small engine.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

2.64 million the CLA with a 2.0 l engine is not good value for money.

Compared to what? (in Thailand).

A base model 3-series at 2.9M?

A Mini Cooper S 1.6L at 2.64M or, the SD 2.0L at 3.14M?

An Audi A3 1.8L at 3.1M?

;)

Edited by IMHO

2.64 million the CLA with a 2.0 l engine is not good value for money.

Compared to what? (in Thailand).

A base model 3-series at 2.9M?

A Mini Cooper S 1.6L at 2.64M or, the SD 2.0L at 3.14M?

An Audi A3 1.8L at 3.1M?

wink.png

And what car in Thailand is "good value for money"? If you forget the pickups and pickup based SUVs, the price charged for anything with a 2000cc engine or larger is at least 50% tax. It is very hard to find "value for money" with that kind of a tax bite -- TIT! If you want value for money, buy a Pajero Sport. If you want style and comfort, you will pay dearly for it in Thailand. And as IMHO notes, if you compare the new CLA with its typical competitors (I would not include the Mini Cooper in those), the price of the CLA is "attractive" (in a gut wrenching sort of way sick.gif ).

• Like 2