Tourist Courts To Be Set Up In Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi

webfact

Tourist courts to be set up in key sights
Sarinee Prab
The Nation
Phuket

BANGKOK: -- A tourism division will be established at courts in key vacation destinations such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi to assist foreign visitors.

"Tourists who are the victims of thefts and robberies may have to face a lengthy trial and experience inconvenience because they only stay in the country for a short time," Tourism Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said yesterday.

He had discussed the problem with Court of Justice officials and found that hearings involving tourists could be expedited by setting up a tourism litigation division and extending office hours. The ministry agreed to reimburse overtime pay for judges and legal officials.

The ministry has discussed with all other agencies the plan to set up the division, with the exception of the prosecutors' office, which the minister would approach soon.

The project to include a tourism litigation division in provincial and district courts in tourism-oriented cities is part of a plan to increase tourism income to Bt2 trillion by 2015 by upgrading facilities and services to attract high-quality travellers.

The country is on track to meet this year's target of Bt1.1 trillion in income from foreign tourists and Bt500 billion from domestic tourists.

The priority will be on improving safety for tourists and investigating complaints against travel agencies.

Anchalee Wanittheppabut, the Democrat MP for Phuket, said the island needs mass-transit systems to cater to foreign arrivals because rapid urbanisation and development has caused heavy traffic congestion.

Tharat Thanitnont, an adviser to a tourism association in Krabi, said area needs funds to treat garbage and water waste.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-06

Continued repetitive articles by The Nation. Seems Bangkok does not liaise with Phuket or this guys is just another stringer being paid per word. Maybe he only just found out about what was reported last week and plagiarised the Bangkok Post articles. Agree PoodMaDai. coffee1.gif

Edited by Locationthailand

A good idea on paper but for me there's one very major problem and that is translation in these courts. Where are all the interpreters to come from and a what level, if any will, they be considered competent to speak in court.

I for one would be less than happy to have my words translated by someone who spoke my language but didn't fully understand or as is so common here a Thai operating on what he / she thought I said and even worse what they thought i should have said. I really cannot see standards being set and applicants for jobs tested on their competence as that in itself adds another problem as where do the competent testers come from ?

I met a lady afew weeks back, who told me she had done an english course in Sydney, I couldn't understand a bloody word she said, except me sayimg what, er no.

• Like 1

What a pathetic and limp wristed article. When will they relaize that the solution is in taking definitive action to reduce the cause and not simply putting on a puppet show regarding the effect.

Clowns, pure and simple.

Tourist courts more likely to be used to prosecute foreigners of all descriptions and send them packing. Wouldn't be surprised to see these used against foreign residents, too. We are not welcome here.

• Like 1

well first of all

if it gets to court the judge normally orders the plaintiff and the defendant to go into another room and negotiate it out

if they cant then they go back to the judge and let him/her make judgement

the translations are near enough - its the paperwork that decides most things - there is no jury system and so less of the grey area to work in

i can tell you there is a very beautiful woman Thai judge in Pattaya (Jomtien) and I love watching her work.

Tourist courts more likely to be used to prosecute foreigners of all descriptions and send them packing. Wouldn't be surprised to see these used against foreign residents, too. We are not welcome here.

Would that be the collective "we"? or the royal "we"?whistling.gif

I am sure many foreigners both tourists and residents feel welcome here. I know my friends and I do.

Attitude?

• Like 2

I am sure many foreigners both tourists and residents feel welcome here. I know my friends and I do.

Attitude?

You might FEEL welcome, which is probably due to the misconception that the people who take your money actually like you! The like your money and nothing else. Might as well arrive at the airport, drop all your spending money in a big collection tin and get on the next plane home!

Westerners here are about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit!!

• Like 2

from experience I can confirm that there are plenty of foreigners ripping other foreigners off - the real estate, developer issues, ponze schemes, loans, leases, car accidents, marital disputes, child custody, land rights issues, the list goes on and on.

these need to go to court and BTW last Will and Testaments need to go to court.

to have a recent UK/Thai Will heard in court there was a 4 month waiting time and so setting up another foreign court to speed this up is most welcome

Welcome to the Land of Smiles and we hope you enjoy your stay. For your conveniance we have established user friendly tourist courts. Our friendly criminal element will greet you at the airport where you can choose an array of assaults, roberries or method of murder. You and your assailant when then be whisked of to court where the incident will be finalised.

If you are staying longer than a week please feel free to book you mugging online at www.muggersrus.com.th

You will be required to pay compesation to our muggers or thier families if they are offended or hurt during the service. An administration fee will also be charged by our law enforcement agents.

I see this as a potential set up to do the complete opposite. Setup a forum where Thais can easily take foreigners to court so they can be scammed fined and made to pay squeeze money restitution.

If you are actually in Thailand and you feel this way, please tell - why do you stay here?

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

Attitude?

You might FEEL welcome, which is probably due to the misconception that the people who take your money actually like you! The like your money and nothing else. Might as well arrive at the airport, drop all your spending money in a big collection tin and get on the next plane home!

so how many trips a year do you make just to drop-off your money in the collection tin before heading off again and do you class yourself as one of the farts, certainly sounds like it?

Attitude?

so how many trips a year do you make just to drop-off your money in the collection tin before heading off again and do you class yourself as one of the farts, certainly sounds like it?

I have lived here for 15 years. And I still don't feel like they want us here.

After it's been implemented maybe, for a change, we'll start getting some good reports on how tourists are being treated

I doubt it will amount to any thing good for the tourist. By the time they catch the supposed thief and gather the proof needed the tourist will be gone on to there next destination. It will in no way help many tourists. The ones it does help will be even more inconvenienced in the additional time it will take them to follow the proper changeable foreign steps to justice.

The clue to the big winners in this was contained in this one line in the article.

"The ministry agreed to reimburse overtime pay for judges and legal officials."

• Like 1

Hmmmm...the idea is correct...but we will see just how effective it is overall.

I figure it will eventually get bogged down by all the many cases ranging from small infractions of the law onwards to gross injustices of the law such as rape cases and of course the many murders or suspect of murder cases.

The first injustice that could overwhelm the tourist courts would concern all the many foreigners that get cheated by way of the ongoing 30 year plus "Gem Scam"

That scam continues on, even more prevalent today than it was10 years ago when they tried to crack down on the scams.

Or the jet ski boat rental ripoff which happens everyday going on for 20 years.

Then there is the issue of enforcement.

In most countries when the plaintiff(s) win their case against the defendant(s) it then becomes a far more complicated matter of actually enforcing the court awarded "due compensation"

You may win ...but will you actually be compensated accordingly.

For example: If you are cheated by a Thai or Thai company and you win in court then just how is it you are going to make the Thais or the Thai company compensate you accordingly.

What is going to compell them to actually compensate you in the manner that the court has decided.

I hardly think the courts and or the law enforcement agencies are going to actually put Thai people in jail or prison if and when they do not abide by the court rulings.

It will be corrupted for sure with pay offs on the side while all too often the foriegners will be threatened and or extorted when the Thais are actually pressed to abide by the court rulings and compensate a "foriegner".

Some will be compensated but I am sure most cases will be left in limbo and the plantiffs will come to realise they were just wasting their time trying to receive compensation, although the courts ruled in their favour.

Hmmmm...the idea is correct...but we will see just how effective it is overall.

I figure it will eventually get bogged down by all the many cases ranging from small infractions of the law onwards to gross injustices of the law such as rape cases and of course the many murders or suspect of murder cases.

The first injustice that could overwhelm the tourist courts would concern all the many foreigners that get cheated by way of the ongoing 30 year plus "Gem Scam"

That scam continues on, even more prevalent today than it was10 years ago when they tried to crack down on the scams.

Or the jet ski boat rental ripoff which happens everyday going on for 20 years.

Then there is the issue of enforcement.

In most countries when the plaintiff(s) win their case against the defendant(s) it then becomes a far more complicated matter of actually enforcing the court awarded "due compensation"

You may win ...but will you actually be compensated accordingly.

For example: If you are cheated by a Thai or Thai company and you win in court then just how is it you are going to make the Thais or the Thai company compensate you accordingly.

What is going to compell them to actually compensate you in the manner that the court has decided.

I hardly think the courts and or the law enforcement agencies are going to actually put Thai people in jail or prison if and when they do not abide by the court rulings.

It will be corrupted for sure with pay offs on the side while all too often the foriegners will be threatened and or extorted when the Thais are actually pressed to abide by the court rulings and compensate a "foriegner".

Some will be compensated but I am sure most cases will be left in limbo and the plantiffs will come to realise they were just wasting their time trying to receive compensation, although the courts ruled in their favour.

It is an offence not to abide by a court order. Just means you will have to go back through the courts again.

Up Side - Down Side.

The Up Side - Thai will see this as something to improve their image to show they are working to resolve civil and criminal complaints by tourists.

The Down Side - They won't see this as something the rest of the world will see as to WHY do "special courts" have to be set up to resolve so many civil and criminal complaints by foreigners?

• Like 1

well first of all

if it gets to court the judge normally orders the plaintiff and the defendant to go into another room and negotiate it out

if they cant then they go back to the judge and let him/her make judgement

the translations are near enough - its the paperwork that decides most things - there is no jury system and so less of the grey area to work in

i can tell you there is a very beautiful woman Thai judge in Pattaya (Jomtien) and I love watching her work.

Is she one of the "key sights?"