Roiet ....some Information And Help Would Be Appreciated

Madgee

Hi Guys,

For the last few days I’ve been reading this forum and many others to gather information about LOS, visas and the culture etc. In a few weeks I hope to re-locate to RoiEt from China, where I’ve been working for the last 4 years as an educational advisor. Why RoiEt? The usual story about meeting a woman! (Another fool I hear you say.) I plan to come over on a 90 day visa issued in China and hope to change this to a retirement visa shortly afterwards. I’m not a wealthy guy and got a long way to go before I can claim my UK pension and funds are limited, so I hope to find some sort of work
in the teaching field if possible.

I've read the horror stories about guys being ripped off and the scams; it's no different China, in fact I think it's worse! There's good and bad in all societies so I'm well aware of what goes on. By living in S-China for 4 years, where the culture is not all that different from LOS, I've seen many guys parting with their hard earned money in the name of 'love' and family commitments; if they're happy to do so it's their choice.

Basically I’m after some info on RoiEt and what goes on there; work opportunities, other ex-pats, sport facilities, entertainment etc. I’ve asked my girlfriend but her English is limited and she does lead a fairly sheltered life .... I think.

I read somewhere that RoiEt has an immigration ‘post’ at the RoiEt hotel; is that correct?

Any info and help would be appreciated and I’m sure there will many other questions crop up over the next few weeks , so a big thank you in advance.

No work is allowed on a retirement visa.

Thanks harry.

What I should have said is; if I find an offer of work then can I relinquish the retirement visa and obtain a work visa and permit from the employer?

Another option might be if / when I eventually get married then apply for marriage visa which allows employment?

Just a thought.

If it has an 'Employment prohibited' stamp, that is correct, otherwise it is acceptable as long as a Work Permit has been obtained.

Madgee

There a few Uni's in RoiEt and I know there is a newly opened Rajaphat Uni in RoiEt (I work in the one in Sisaket). You will need to visit a nearby Countries consulate IDC, get a 'B' (business) visa and a work permit locally.

Visited RoiEt a couple of months ago and thought it was a nice place. There is a couple of friendly Farang bars/restaurants in town around the lake for you to meet a few expats.

Good luck, mate.

Edited by DILLIGAD

There are several past threads about Roi Et. I'd say it is a pleasant town, with improving facilities. These include Tesco, Makro and some good housewares/do-it-yourself superstores, plus a fair range of restaurants. There is a farang bar/restaurant called the White Elephant and a couple of smaller places near the central lake. The lake also has a nice park and aquarium nearby. There is an entertainment area near the Petcharat Garden Hotel with some so-so music bars and the odd disco. An earlier poster made a jocular reference to the only real 'naughty' venue - the massage floor at the Mai Thai Hotel (may be some other small ones dotted around down soi's near Tesco).I don't know anything about an immigration office, even a temporary one. The nearest hotel name I can think of to the one you give is the Roi Et City Hotel near Roi Et Plaza in the town centre. I'm just an occasional visitor though and a resident may help more. The nearest traditional public university is in Mahasarakham about 40kms away, though there is a Rajaphat and some smaller ones in Roi Et. Ther is a provincial sports stadium and a football team that plays in the NE league.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

There used to be a "post" for immigration at a hotel in RoiEt for foreigners to do their 90 day reports, or so I've been told, as it was discontinued by immigration due to staff shortages before I moved to RoiEt. Instead your 90 day reports and visa extensions need to be done in Amnat Chareon (About a 2h drive, so make sure your paperwork is correct before you leave lol).

As mentioned above, if you want to legally work, you'll need a B visa, or alternatively an O with extension based on marriage. However you can worry about one of these more once you have a job lined up.

RoiEt schools, from what I've seen/heard, generally pay a little better than most other areas of Isaan (35k seems to be the regular starting rate, while other areas are more around 30k, sometimes less). Although they're almost never advertised online, at least not on the sites I've visited. Teachers in the area often know of places where jobs might be available though, or can point you in the direction of someone who does.

RoiEt as a city is nice, it has all/most of the shopping amenities which you need, without being too big. RoiEt is pretty central in Isaan too, so it's not too far to get to most Isaan tourist attractions (Pagodas / elephant village / snake village etc) or the other/bigger cities if you want to do some travel on the weekends.

Thanks harry.

What I should have said is; if I find an offer of work then can I relinquish the retirement visa and obtain a work visa and permit from the employer?

Another option might be if / when I eventually get married then apply for marriage visa which allows employment?

Just a thought.

As far as I know: A marriage visa alone does not include the right to work in Thailand (a work permit would still be needed).

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while ... apologies.

Things have moved a little quicker than I anticipated, so much so that I'm arriving next week.

If all goes well, I'm intending on going down the line of extension of stay on my non-imm 'O' visa with the view of retirement.

I know this question should probably be in a different section but I'd like a local response as it seems every immigration office has different requirements.

How can I prove my residential abode when I will be living with my GF in her house?

She does own it outright and has the documentation to prove it. I must admit, it looks a beautiful little modern home with a small garden front and rear.

Also, I'm a big football fan and I've been told by her daughter that RoiEt has a decent football team; where about do they play and when?

I'd like to find the pitch on a map to see if it's within walking distance.

I do hope I can meet up with some guys once I've settled in.

Cheers!

It's been a while ... apologies.

Things have moved a little quicker than I anticipated, so much so that I'm arriving next week.

If all goes well, I'm intending on going down the line of extension of stay on my non-imm 'O' visa with the view of retirement.

I know this question should probably be in a different section but I'd like a local response as it seems every immigration office has different requirements.

How can I prove my residential abode when I will be living with my GF in her house?

She does own it outright and has the documentation to prove it. I must admit, it looks a beautiful little modern home with a small garden front and rear.

Also, I'm a big football fan and I've been told by her daughter that RoiEt has a decent football team; where about do they play and when?

I'd like to find the pitch on a map to see if it's within walking distance.

I do hope I can meet up with some guys once I've settled in.

Cheers!

Go to Immigration with Girlfriend, her ID card and her Tabien Baan (House Book). She will understand this. Its like a log book for buildings stating who owns the place/living there.

There are obviously other requirements like proof of income needed for an Ext due to retirement.

Hope all goes well in Roi Et and I guess if u visit the places by the lake or White Elephant you will be sure to meet up with the locals. They seemed friendly to me!

Re football, Roi Et United play in NE Regional League Division 2 (if you want the TPL you'll have to take a trip down to Buriram).

I've seen a few games and the standard is not great, though watching games can still be entertaining.

The team play at the Provincial Stadium, which is a kilo or two north of the Petcharat Garden Hotel (probably a tuk tuk ride rather than a walk).

http://www.maplandia.com/thailand/northeastern/roi-et/roi-et/

(type in 'stadium')

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_Et_United_F.C.

Lots of highlights on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-HtdCe2Cg

Edited by citizen33