Thai Police Rescue 1,300 Caged Dogs From Smugglers

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be unsympathetic towards animals being treated poorly, but what will happen to them now ?

Will they be released back onto the streets ? or sold onto neighbouring countries though 'agreed' channels this time ?

This whole issue comes from a 'non-cull' in the first place. Is it not more kind to control the numbers than to the permit the stray population to expand beyond control to such a degree whereby its even profitable for the streets are periodically 'cleared' by these 'meat wagons' and 'canine traffickers' ?

if for ones they can do something intelligent,eat ....sell or kill those damned dogs ,and keep the streets a little safer ......no they will release these dangerous ,accidents causing dogs back on the street !

Unbelievable !

Hundreds of people die every year in accidents with dogs,thousants become criple .....and still they do nothing to this filthy problem ?

And now the stupid comments of the so called animal -lovers?

I think you're confusing issues here. Yes there may be a problem with excessive dogs although I don't see much of it in my area out of town. The fact is what they are ding is illegal and also you need to keep in mind what happens to them before they get eaten. http://www.soidog.org/en/dogmeat/

I'd be happy if the sick ones were humanely put down but of course not all are sick and many are stolen.

It would not be so easy for dogs to be stolen if their owners took proper care and responsibility of them by keeping them within their homes, on a leash, or behind a fence.

In reality, what owners do is simply let their dogs have free reign of the neighborhood, free to raise all kind of havoc.

In my mind, these dogs are fair game.

We have 8 dogs and one at least is a problem and some of the rest just follow so we've been fencing the property. he real problem is that they weren't trained when they were younger. My brother in law is Ok with them as he just shouts and they yend to stop what they're doing. I've no idea what he says but it's short and with the right tone of voice. My MIL is part of the problem as she tries to hold a conversation with them unaware apparently that they have no idea what she's saying.

As I've said we don't have much of a problem here although there are a lot of dogs and most roam free as is normal here. I can't remember the last time I saw dog crap so I assume they do it in the rice field or somewhere.

Edited by kimamey

Why wouldn't the Vietnamese set up some type of feedlot, so they don't have to import?

Why rescue dogs just to let them die later?

Why isn't there a legal process for dog exporting?

'free range' dogs tastes better than feed-lot dogs

the last large batch (1200) that was 'rescued'; all but five died in 'protective' care

good idea to turn useless, unwanted dogs into something useful like food

If the do-gooders really cared about dogs, there wouldn't be so many hungry, mangy, dogs in the sois.

• Like 1

I would never eat dog meat knowing that it could have been:

a.) a mangy animal with disease

b.) freshly dug up from a shallow grave

c.) someone's pet

Which I'm sure most of these dogs are. That, and I love dogs... I just can't see myself eating one in any condition.

diseases arent a good thing. you love dogs, okay. but you dont love these funny intelligent pigs? you have never seen one of those lovely calves on grazing lands? and then at midday you go to the next restaurant to eat them!?!? meat IS meat.

but i am sorry if you are vegetarian.....

Why wouldn't the Vietnamese set up some type of feedlot, so they don't have to import?

Why rescue dogs just to let them die later?

Why isn't there a legal process for dog exporting?

'free range' dogs tastes better than feed-lot dogs

the last large batch (1200) that was 'rescued'; all but five died in 'protective' care

good idea to turn useless, unwanted dogs into something useful like food

If the do-gooders really cared about dogs, there wouldn't be so many hungry, mangy, dogs in the sois.

What makes you think they hungry? they hardly ever look thin.

Mangy yes, but then again when you go for a swim or just shopping , how many sick people do you rub shoulders with?

c.) someone's pet

Which I'm sure most of these dogs are. That, and I love dogs... I just can't see myself eating one in any condition.

diseases arent a good thing. you love dogs, okay. but you dont love these funny intelligent pigs? you have never seen one of those lovely calves on grazing lands? and then at midday you go to the next restaurant to eat them!?!? meat IS meat.

There are thousands of people who have bonded with a cow or a pig and would never eat it.

PIg does not come running when it sees you, and cow does not curl up next to you when watching TV.

c.) someone's pet

There are thousands of people who have bonded with a cow or a pig and would never eat it.

PIg does not come running when it sees you, and cow does not curl up next to you when watching TV.

There are always good and bad things. dogs are the more unpredictable animals. accidents arent coming from nothing.

a horseowner would not eat his horse, but many are eating them in sausages. so why not dogs, when you eat meat.

Is it against the law to eat dog meat or to take them across a border into another country for whatever reason?

it is (against the law) illegal to steal pets from people for any reason...

They shouldn't nick pets, but I think we can all safely say that 99% of the dogs in this trade are street dogs.

• Like 1

we love dogs and if you drive slower you will have no problem with dogs: simply horn to alert. As conclusion, you drive too fast.

Fair do's. Except my g/f was bitten when we were walking. As are most others I suspect.

I was bitten twice while walking on the streets of Chiangmai, and neither time was it a soi dog. Once, I was actually walking my Bangkaew who, contrary to his nature, stood by and watched.

But I don't blame the dogs; I blame the owners.

back in the 80's i wandered into a soi off patts.center rd.when a pack of dogs came to attack me,luckily i had a bag with me and swinging the bag and walking backwards was able to fend them off,there was a thai bloke standing there that done fk.all.couple of days later i was with the friend who lived there so she knew who owned them,yes he was there outside his home and the dogs but this time i had a f--ing big stick,back in those days i was a bit of a nutter and it wasnt the dogs i threatened it was the owner one small fking twit or my spelling.my views on what has happened i posted in the pet section under dog smugglers flee the scene.

If Thailand only had an animal control ministry they could go around Thailand and spay/nutter them. Silly to let dogs just breed like rats and make a mess of your country. A large part of the garbage problem comes from the dogs getting into the garbage to find food. Then there is the whole issue of the dogs being road hazzards.

I am all for the dogs being eaten, just make sure they are not mistreated before they are eaten.

The most sensible post so far. Just don't offer me any of the meat, I'd rather not.

I am in favour of legalising the eating of dogmeat, and stricter measures to prevent cruelty when they are killed. Soi dogs do nobody any good, least of all themselves; a life of scavenging, hunger, disease, and early death.

And you still want to eat them ?

What a silly remark!

No, of course I don't want to eat them.... but what you eat is up to you, and the same, within the law, applies to others.

Why is it silly, when by your own account you are advocating eating them whilst at the same time saying that many are disease ridden. Recently throughout Europe there has been a problem with meat (beef,etc) being labelled as such but actually being horse meat. Deception and sensibilities apart, the real health concern was that a percentage of them were slaughtered through having disease. It really isn't a question of taking a callous laissez-faire aprroach. It's a public health issue.
Some dogs are stolen from houses for this cross-border trade and meat market. Those generally are in better health and presumably reserved for the more discerning consumer.

I am in favour of legalising the eating of dogmeat, and stricter measures to prevent cruelty when they are killed. Soi dogs do nobody any good, least of all themselves; a life of scavenging, hunger, disease, and early death.

And you still want to eat them ?

What a silly remark!

No, of course I don't want to eat them.... but what you eat is up to you, and the same, within the law, applies to others.

Why is it silly, when by your own account you are advocating eating them whilst at the same time saying that many are disease ridden. Recently throughout Europe there has been a problem with meat (beef,etc) being labelled as such but actually being horse meat. Deception and sensibilities apart, the real health concern was that a percentage of them were slaughtered through having disease. It really isn't a question of taking a callous laissez-faire aprroach. It's a public health issue.

Some dogs are stolen from houses for this cross-border trade and meat market. Those generally are in better health and presumably reserved for the more discerning consumer.

I once joked with my gp in the UK that I had inadvertently eaten dog in China. He pointed out that if anyonrthought the bse risk from beef was significant, they would never eat dog.

Unfortunately, if people want to eat dog, the only safe way is for them to be farmed. Picking up random strays to eat?

They are a picture of health and cleanliness aren't they? Not that I conceptually have a problem with people wanting to eat them.

Junk1e

Posted Yesterday, 16:45

It is illegal because if you want to take a dog to Vietnam you will have to have it microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and get an export permit and health certificate from the Animal Quarantine Dept. These are normal anti rabies procedures in existing in every country in the world. Thailand and all ASEAN countries have pledged to eradicate rabies by 2020. By allowing the trade the spread of rabies is encouraged. In addition even in Vietnam or Korea where dog meat is not illegal the industry is totally unregulated which has led to outbreaks of Cholera and Trichinosis because of the filthy conditions in the places the dogs are killed.Just as bird flu and swine fever are caused by man's greed, the same is the situation with dog meat. What is horrific about this trade is the conditions the dogs are transported in and what happens to them if they survive the journey. Skinning and boiling alive is not uncommon. Mass sterilization is the only proven answer to controlling the stray dog problem in a country where open euthanasia is contrary to religous beliefs. If foreigners don't like the situation they can always go back to their own countries, where no doubt although happy to not see stray dogs they will be complaining about immigrants in their own lands. Most of the dogs in this trade are now stolen pets as stray dogs are far too difficult to catch.

Unless you can provide proof of what you write then it is just a lot of emotive rubbish that no doubt dog lovers will be prepared to pass on.

Start with : "Skinning and boiling alive is not uncommon."

Similar rubbish to a post the last time this subject came up when someone posted that they were beaten to death to make the meat more tender, obviously they had never seen bruised meat which is completely ineatable.

"Mass sterilization is the only proven answer". It is not a proven answer with stray for you will never get the last one.

The dog lady in Hua Hin tried it many years ago and it was proven not to work.

"Most of the dogs in this trade are now stolen pets as stray dogs are far too difficult to catch". Proof again?

Have you ever seen how 'pets' react when strangers come to their house, a hell of a lot of noise looking after their patch.

Far easier to set a snare for a stray with a bit of food for bait, and nobody (owner) to complain when it is gone.

c.) someone's pet

There are always good and bad things. dogs are the more unpredictable animals. accidents arent coming from nothing.

a horseowner would not eat his horse, but many are eating them in sausages. so why not dogs, when you eat meat.

The ones who eat horse meat in sausages are not aware of the fact, perhaps the reason why so many meat products containing horse meats were recalled not so long ago

"Mass sterilization is the only proven answer". It is not a proven answer with stray for you will never get the last one.

The same I suppose could be said for culling. But either would be an improvement of what we have now. NOTHING.

The same I suppose could be said for culling. But either would be an improvement of what we have now. NOTHING.

WE? You have nothing, you have a problem with soi dogs, you are welcome to move whereever there is no problem.

Thailand may have a problem, though Thailand does not see it as a problem big enough to whine about it daily.

Locals feed soi dogs, some even sterilize them and if it gets killed or something like that, they do not shed a tear and go on living

WE? You have nothing, you have a problem with soi dogs, you are welcome to move whereever there is no problem.

Thailand may have a problem, though Thailand does not see it as a problem big enough to whine about it daily.

Locals feed soi dogs, some even sterilize them and if it gets killed or something like that, they do not shed a tear and go on living

Me and many like me see it as a problem because we are concerned about our health. YOU obviously are not. Well let one of these filthy disease ridden mutts bite you on the butt and see how you feel about it then. Many suffer that indignity every day yet you don't want anything done. Is your attitude to drunk drivers the same. Just because only a few get hurt it is OK?

There has been an increase of publicity on dog attacks recently. If you do not see that as Thailand becoming aware of a rising problem then you are seeing things through rose colored specs and really need to wake up and have a lot more respect and feeling for your fellow man. Man first, dog second. But somehow I think you'd like it the other way round.

• Like 1

Is it against the law to eat dog meat or to take them across a border into another country for whatever reason?

Hardly against the law because it is a favourite food of many Thais - particularly the North Easterners - and is sold openly in markets nationwide. The reason they have been 'rescued' is no doubt because they will look a whole lot better on Thai plates (umm bamboo sticks) than they would look on Cambodian BBQs. The RESCUE can not possibly be a result of Thai 'compassion', or their indisputable love' for dogs, can it? Just have to stroll down any soi to see the condition that most dogs in Thailand are left to survive in. One consolation though of this 'Rescue' is that at least there is no risk of them being returned to their previous homes to prowl and make a perpetual mess and nuisence of themselves. Enjoy the festicities dog lovers..