Higher Quality Tyres/inner Tubes For Scooter To Avoid Punctures...

Just wondering if you can buy or order online better quality inner tubes and tyres to try and avoid punctures?

Our Honda scooter picks up a puncture a week here on Samui, where my CB250, CBR150 & CBR250 haven't had a puncture in years!

• Like 1

What my tyre guy does is put the old tube, cut down to suit, between the tyre and the new tube. I think it's to stop tube chaffing when the air pressure is low. Low air pressure was usually the biggest problem I had, until I bought my own guage and compressor. As for nails and sharp objects.....I think they would probably still go through.

• Like 2

What BSJ said. But why do my tires always go flat (low pressure) so fast? Is it the climate, or poor quality inner-tubes?

I had the same problem and soved it with quality tubes. Its not because the climate, its poor quality or old tubes. Look at these posts about details:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533580-why-do-my-scooter-tyres-keep-losing-air-pressure/page-2#entry5078465

and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533580-why-do-my-scooter-tyres-keep-losing-air-pressure/page-2#entry5115885

I haven't had any problem since i changed to Dunlop tubes more than a year ago.

Generally i would suggest to use quality tires and tubes. And don't ride on old tires. Change them before they are getting thin and the rubber is getting hard. I never had a problem with puctures. Maybe because i avoid riding on the side of the street where all the crap is. And i regulary check the tires and remove all the small parts sticking in them. And buy a pressure gauge and check for right pressure. Also very important.

• Like 1

All of my flats have been due to tube failures at the tube stem. I believe this has been because of over-inflation. Since I bought a pressure gauge and inflate my tires myself I have had no failures.

So what would you say is the ideal pressure for a scooter tube??? Tried to inflate mine one day, no indication on the tyre, just hit and miss. On warm tyres I inflated to 35 PSI. Is this correct?

When I needed new tyres for my motorbike I asked at my local repair shop what he had. He showed me various inner tubes and tyres. I was surprised at the different weights they all were even though they were of the same size. I chose the heaviest thinking that the heavier it is the MORE rubber there must be in the wall thickness. Couple of years down the road and no punctures so far, touch wood. Of course the heaviest also turned out to be the most expensive by as much as double.

Ever considered using something like this?

http://www.ride-on-uk.com/product.php?id_product=105

Just a thought.

Had a company come in to demonstrate a very similar product and my first thought was it is fookin snake oil.

Anywho they pumped half a litre into the tyre on their pickup and proceed to drive over some narky looking nails (3 pronged things) and sure enough a few had punctured the tyre. They pulled them out and it was hissing air but a quick lap around the car park and it had self sealed and had lost very little pressure.

I asked if it would also seal a sidewall puncture and the assured me it would so I grab a big phillips screw driver and proceeded to stab some holes in the sidewall and yep, it sealed up within seconds.

Go for tubeless tires.

You can get tubeless tyres for the little scooters?

You cannot use Tubeless Tyres on a rim made for Tubed Tyres it's dangerous

If you have tubed tyres buy a known brand of tube. There are better tyres available for some scooters but not all.

The Tyres supplied standard with the Honda PCX are not very good but IPC offer their Wave pattern with 70 series that

are a good fit front is 110/70x14 and rear 120/70x 14 work well wet or dry.

Go for tubeless tires.

You can get tubeless tyres for the little scooters?

You cannot use Tubeless Tyres on a rim made for Tubed Tyres it's dangerous

A local garage told me that if you have alloy wheels, they simply fit a valve and a tubeless tyre. He said there's no issue with it. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by angryfarang

There is always some shit going on with small tyres,

on a big bike, the walls are so thick so i can barely tell if i'm low on air or not,

so perhaps you can find thicker tyres that will keep working even when no air

You can fit a tubless tire to an alloy rim. But they might have to do some drilling.

I am no tyre expert, but aren't the beads different on a tubeless tyre? An alloy rim is OK as long as it's machined for tubeless, right?

You can fit a tubless tire to an alloy rim. But they might have to do some drilling.

I am no tyre expert, but aren't the beads different on a tubeless tyre? An alloy rim is OK as long as it's machined for tubeless, right?
I guess noone here is a tyre expert. But if loserlazer says "you can do" than you should better believe him. And i am sure he is right. You "can" do it. But "should" you fit a tubeless tyre on a rim thats made for tubes? Better ask yourself, not Somchai at the corner.

I guess noone here is a tyre expert. But if loserlazer says "you can do" than you should better believe him. And i am sure he is right. You "can" do it. But "should" you fit a tubeless tyre on a rim thats made for tubes? Better ask yourself, not Somchai at the corner.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I think I will just look for better quality tyres / tubes. Is there anywhere to order online?

I am no tyre expert, but aren't the beads different on a tubeless tyre?  An alloy rim is OK as long as it's machined for tubeless, right?

Well i am not a tire authority here but i converted my alloy rim designed for tubes to a tubeless before so experience wise i can say it is doable.

Well i am not a tire authority here but i converted my alloy rim designed for tubes to a tubeless before so experience wise i can say it is doable.

I guess the question is - how dangerous is it? Why could go wrong? Could the tyre deflate suddenly?

It sounded like a great solution for me, but now I'm worried about safety. If the tyre deflated suddenly at 80km/h - you're going to have a bad day.

No probs about safety at least i do not have any problems. They drill the valve hole and make the diameter larger and put a tubeless tire valve as tubeless tire valves are bigger.

Yeah, that's what the guy told me was needed. He said it's no problem. How long have you had this modification for? What bike is it on?

No probs about safety at least i do not have any problems. They drill the valve hole and make the diameter larger and put a tubeless tire valve as tubeless tire valves are bigger.

Yeah, that's what the guy told me was needed.  He said it's no problem.  How long have you had this modification for?  What bike is it on?

I made the modification long time ago back home and rode it that way at least 10.000 km without any problems. The bike was a yamaha commuter bike with clutch.