Isaan Farmers Meeting No.9.

AA1

The last 3 meetings have been across the middle of Isaan, as mentioned near the end of the topic for Meeting No. 8 my wife and I am very happy to host the next Meeting. I that message I mentioned the possibility of the 29th. June BUT as Grimleybob is now going to be away that weekend before leaving again I am slightly changing the date as I anyway do NOT want to miss out on another slice of his famous pork pies which we tried at Bergens!!!!

Date of Meeting:- 22nd. June 2013

Venue:- about 8 km. from Sangkha, Surin and Highway 24 so has very easy access East and West and not too bad from further North. South doesn't really matter unless you are coming form Cambodia and even then we are not far from the border crossing!!! I will shortly provide a map but want to check my Km. measurements to help those who have not been here before!!

Accommodation:- On the 24 at Sangkha there is a very acceptable hotel/resort where various of you stayed for Meeting No. 2 and they also provide breakfast which is a bonus - price 400-500 Baht (I will confirm this but sure NOT more).

My wife will provide some lunch and BBQ later and I will get in some Leo for us (plus 'whisky', soda, soft drinks etc. for the wives and children) all at normal very reasonable prices. If you are fussy and insist on Lao Kao? you can bring your own!!

Plus a visit to look at our small rubber farm for those who wish during the afternoon. We started tapping part of it about last September but my wife has decided this year - because of the drought we have had - not to start again this year until about September again to give the trees plenty of time to strengthen themselves again as they are still young (about 8 years old).

Any other information that you require let me know but as I say I will anyway post again with a map and accommodation price shortly.

AA1 (Anthony).

Grimleybob,

Thanks for your prompt note to say that you are coming on the 22nd.

Please forgive my thanking you on this Topic but will now be easier to keep a note of all replies just on this one as it will be less confusing.

Much looking forward to seeing you again.

AA1 (Anthony)

Sorry for intruding but the motel /hotel you mention is very good. Have stayed there quite a few time as my FIL lives close to Sangkha. There is also a servo next door with a 7/11 (but it does not sell alcohol from memory ) but there is a good kitchen and open air food place there plus food stalls . The hotel has a web site but is in Thai only. I cannot think of the name of the hotel either. The food in the hotel should be avoided unless you enjoy lots of MSG.(my experience) Worse than yr average food stall .

sorry...... carry on .

david 48 maybe you and miss farm girl could hold metting no 10 mid september ?with all the photos i think a lot will go rgds russell

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the thought but the Farm is not owned by me or the gf and there are access issues ...

It's the rainy season and while this road a just passable in the dry ... but in the wet ...

The other alternative is Farm Mother ...

... but that klong is dry at the moment.

Edited by David48

But no good Farm is complete without Motorcycle access ...

This the end of the ride when we go through MissFarmGirl's relatives and neighbours properties ...

There is a few minutes riding past the various Ponds before you get to this point!

Then there is the metre wide path about 2 metres above the klong below ...

... praying that no-one comes the other way!

In a few years time, if the access road, in the first clip becomes passable then ... why not.

Till then, MissFarmGirl and I will rely on visiting you guys.

Cheers

• Like 1

Sorry to have been out of touch over the weekend but now am basically here so will try to answer any comments in a more efficient manner!!!

Xen.

Thanks for your compliments on the hotel which will be used by those requiring beds for Saturday 22nd. June night. When we had a Meeting here last time (about 18 months ago) all those who could remember where they were next morning had comfortable nights and okay breakfast in the morning before going their various ways but good to get your comment. I don't know if you are going to be up in the area in the middle of June but you would be welcome to join us as, even if not a farmer now, you are a potential farmer as if you end up here and can get without at least a rai or 2 of rice land you will be numbered amongst the VERY few!!! Anyway if you are ever up here let me know and maybe meet up around Sangkha for a beer or 2.

Chao Lao Beach.

Looking at your name, I regret that we are a long way from the sea in any direction! Highway 24 runs roughly from Ubon on the Lao border, along the northern border of Cambodia to just south of Khorat and beyond. Sangkha is in Surin province about half way between Khorat & Ubon. I think that rough measurements of it are:- Longitude 103 degrees 51 min. 7 sec. and Latitude 14 degrees 37 min. 18sec. but I may be as bad as Tony Hancock in "The Radio Ham" at taking them down. Wherever you are do come and join us and make a break of it.

David 48 and aussieruss.

David sorry the timing is wrong for you but agree with Russell that we look forward to your sorting out your access to be passable and having a meeting at yours at some future date. After all we are farmers and not city slickers in our Porsche or Rolls!!!!

Shaggy 1969.

Thanks for note and sorry you won't be able to make it this time. Hope mum and babe are keeping well. See you later on.

Dancealot.

Having just read your comment on the earlier Topic, I had to say that I could not describe our Meetings better:-

"Besides sharing laughs, food and drinks. The farmers actually share expertise knowledge between themselves in an informal way."

Well put.

How long are you away from Thailand as we need to continue our farming discussion "about the pre WW1 occupancy and would like to clarify that i didnt mean Uganda but Namibia as a German occupied territory"!!!!!!! I will miss not continuing with part 2!

RedBullHorn. I agree with Dancealot but agree with you that it is a long way for you down here unless you make a long weekend of it. That would delight us but will NOT accept that excuse if next time we have the Meeting up nearer you!

I visited the hotel on the 24 just before the weekend and they charge Baht 450 a night for either twin or double bedded rooms.

Correction. In #1, I said 'Lao Kao" when I should have put "Beer Lao". I know we are farmers BUT......!!!

Below are 2 maps and 1 written words on "How to get here".

I only hope that they open as I am a computer idiot!!!!!

I am and I can't even get them on.

Will try and find out how to do a.s.a.p.!!!!!!

• Like 1

david 48 maybe you and miss farm girl could hold metting no 10 mid september ?with all the photos i think a lot will go rgds russell

Hi Russel, and everyone i cant attend this time. I hope you all will post some pictures here( And especially of the now infamous pie) so i was there a little bit..

@ Mr. AA1,

You really did your homework! Excellentclap2.gif . I will have to do some more research on the subject, though.. before i will engage in further discussion with you, Sir. I reply humbly. But i remain positive about Namibiasmile.png. Still researching the Fairy Shrimp as we speak.

To be complete i will quote myself from the previous meeting #9 thread to clarify.

Dont pussy out again RBH.tongue.png tongue.png thumbsup.gif
I travelled in the back of an old pickup all the way from Phetchabun to
Roi Et(Part of the way, untill it got too hot but it sounds more
dramatic this way).. Just to be there. I will attend again next time i
am in Thailand.thumbsup.gif .

Besides sharing laughs, food and drinks. The farmers actually share expertise knowledge between themselves in an informal way.

Aside from the fact that i wanted to meet you(meeting # 8) your aquatic expertise would be a great asset.

Yours, /endquote

• Like 2

Thank you WF.

What would I have done without your expertise!

Here are 2 maps and written directions so hopefully will be easy to get here!

I look forward to hearing from you all in the next few weeks.

AA1

Map 1 - Sankha area to the Allens (AA1) 001.pdf

Map 2 - Ban Sawat to Allen's house 001.pdf

How to find the Allen.docx

smile.png

Edited by AA1

@ Mr. AA1,

You really did your homework! Excellentclap2.gif . I will have to do some more research on the subject, though.. before i will engage in further discussion with you, Sir. I reply humbly. But i remain positive about Namibiasmile.png. Still researching the Fairy Shrimp as we speak.

To be complete i will quote myself from the previous meeting #9 thread to clarify.

Dont pussy out again RBH.tongue.png tongue.png thumbsup.gif

I travelled in the back of an old pickup all the way from Phetchabun to

Roi Et(Part of the way, untill it got too hot but it sounds more

dramatic this way).. Just to be there. I will attend again next time i

am in Thailand.thumbsup.gif .

Besides sharing laughs, food and drinks. The farmers actually share expertise knowledge between themselves in an informal way.

Aside from the fact that i wanted to meet you(meeting # 8) your aquatic expertise would be a great asset.

Yours, /endquote

If it's held in the province where i stay, i could be back to my farm momentarily. So sorry Dal but the stakes are high as my farm will be in full operations when the next batch is in on the 18th this month, totalling 350'000 fishes this season. Maybe next time... smile.png

You're welcome to visit anytime. We could get piss... of course, you're buying. laugh.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

I respect that RBH.

You last report on your catch was very interesting and enjoyable. Not to mention surprisingly profitable. Can't wait to see more. I only got as far as Pai this trip but Chiang Rai is still highly on my list.

If nothing unexpected interferes, I will be there, presumably accompanied by the rubber farmer living where all have AK 47's in bandit land on the Lao border, and possibly a few others? Will confirm numbers later! I will bring my camera, and will try not to take pics of anyone drinking, dancing, smoking, playing instruments, or indulging in other obscure activities. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Bergen.

Always delighted to welcome our resident photographer even if your ancestors did rape our women and pillage our hard earned goods. Will be even more delighted if you can get your international set to come with you - a latex covered Aussie, a Yank whose always going the 'Wrong Way', an Englishman who thinks that running will help him become a 'Gunner' etc. etc. We look forward to welcoming you all. Let us know numbers nearer the time.

I know that it is the thought of the Pork Pies which are attracting you BUT I will try and be a friendly host and even allow you to take photographs of whatever you like (within reason!!).

Much look forward to seeing you all.

AA1

• Like 1

Bergen.

Always delighted to welcome our resident photographer even if your ancestors did rape our women and pillage our hard earned goods. Will be even more delighted if you can get your international set to come with you - a latex covered Aussie, a Yank whose always going the 'Wrong Way', an Englishman who thinks that running will help him become a 'Gunner' etc. etc. We look forward to welcoming you all. Let us know numbers nearer the time.

I know that it is the thought of the Pork Pies which are attracting you BUT I will try and be a friendly host and even allow you to take photographs of whatever you like (within reason!!).

Much look forward to seeing you all.

AA1

The "Yank" who goes the WrongWay, usually finds the right way by himself, however I might bring another...........wink.png

I am not too attracted by the Grimley pies, more so by the conversation and tales that comes along with the "chef", and of course the free beer that I missed at the worm meeting................whistling.gif

• Like 1

HI ALL wish you all the best for meeting no 9 and hope to see every one at meeting no 12 and i think DAL will be back then to .his shout for the wiskey(top shelf ?) .i hope BERGEN takes plenty of pictures and plays a tune or 2 rgds russell

• Like 1

HI ALL wish you all the best for meeting no 9 and hope to see every one at meeting no 12 and i think DAL will be back then to .his shout for the wiskey(top shelf ?) .i hope BERGEN takes plenty of pictures and plays a tune or 2 rgds russell

I don't call this top shelf but more a table level spirit, sir. But i gave you my word.

post-70928-0-52597800-1368803229_thumb.j

• Like 1

Bergen,

re. your Quote "and of course the free beer that I missed at the worm meeting................whistling.gif" Unquote.

I am delighted to tell you that Dave, THE friend of the Isaan Farmers Meeting, from Phuket, has said that he will very kindly donate the beer for Meeting no. 9 so that if you miss out again you can only blame yourself!! Thank you Dave so much.

AA1 (Anthony)

Bergen,

re. your Quote "and of course the free beer that I missed at the worm meeting................whistling.gif" Unquote.

I am delighted to tell you that Dave, THE friend of the Isaan Farmers Meeting, from Phuket, has said that he will very kindly donate the beer for Meeting no. 9 so that if you miss out again you can only blame yourself!! Thank you Dave so much.

AA1 (Anthony)

Anthony, the good man brought beer to the free beer gathering. He's a hero.

[edit] Now i just read he is a legend as well..laugh.png .

thumbsup.gif Bergen. No joking.

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Hopefully , If all goes well Wee & I will be attending your meeting if only to check out these "famous pork pies " you keep writing about ,we finally got a map from a freind because we could not download it. Also .we would like the phone No. Of your local Resort so that we can book a room. Thank you AA. Helmuth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hopefully , If all goes well Wee & I will be attending your meeting if only to check out these "famous pork pies " you keep writing about ,we finally got a map from a freind because we could not download it. Also .we would like the phone No. Of your local Resort so that we can book a room. Thank you AA. Helmuth.

Helmuth, So glad to see your message and understand that you are now recovered from your operation, we are looking forward to catching up with you and Wee at Anthony's place next month. WF

Hi WF.not fully recovered yet, final doc checkup on 29th this month but the pizza at Ian's house tasted mighty good. There goes my diet.see you at AA1's farm HR.