Liability Release For Doggy Bag ?

luudee

So I took my g/f to the Sheraton for dinner last night. Went to the Infinium restaurant.

Nice place with nice view and decent food ...

She didn't finish her dinner and asked to take it home. The server presented me with

the attached form and asked me to sign it before they could give us the "doggy bag" ...

I signed it, not a big deal, but found it amusing, and silly that they need a liability release

form, which actually lists Sheraton as the Licensor (last sentence, 4th paragraph). So

they are actually licensing the food, not selling it ?! Ha ha ha

Obviously this was hammered together by some amateur wanting to be a lawyer ...

I just fount it funny and disturbing that they need such a form ...

Luudee

post-81891-0-03580100-1368201328_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, is the flagship brand of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide based in Stamford, Connecticut, USA... Need I say anymorecoffee1.gif

I had to read your waver form in great detail as I was expecting there to be something along the lines of forbidding you to submit the contents of the bag for laboratory testingwhistling.gif

• Like 1

I always though it was common sense that the food will spoil if not properly

refrigerated quickly. I do like to dine at the larger hotel chains in Pattaya and

Bkk, and have never encountered this !

Does this say something about the average Pattaya monger ?! 5555

I also thought that the form was legally a bit weirdly phrased ... I wonder

if it would hold up in a court of law ... sounds more like a scare tactic than

a waiver. If they are so worried, they should provide a small flier stating

that I should refrigerate the food withing 30 minutes or so ....

Anyway, just wanted to share something I thought was silly ...

Cheers,

luudee

PS: Certainly the Sheraton in Bkk (Asoke x Sukhumvit) and Royal Cliff &

Brunos in Pattaya don't make you sign these type of forms ...

Edited by luudee

Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, is the flagship brand of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide based in Stamford, Connecticut, USA... Need I say anymorecoffee1.gif

I had to read your waver form in great detail as I was expecting there to be something along the lines of forbidding you to submit the contents of the bag for laboratory testingwhistling.gif

I always though it was common sense that the food will spoil if not properly

refrigerated quickly. I do like to dine at the larger hotel chains in Pattaya and

Bkk, and have never encountered this !

Does this say something about the average Pattaya monger ?! 5555

I also thought that the form was legally a bit weirdly phrased ... I wonder

if it would hold up in a court of law ... sounds more like a scare tactic than

a waiver. If they are so worried, they should provide a small flier stating

that I should refrigerate the food withing 30 minutes or so ....

Anyway, just wanted to share something I thought was silly ...

Cheers,

luudee

PS: Certainly the Sheraton in Bkk (Asoke x Sukhumvit) and Royal Cliff &

Brunos in Pattaya don't make you sign these type of forms ...

Must admit I have never seen anything like this before, but you can kinda see their point..this is most likely a Corporate issued document...note the top of the form "Starwood safe food & hygenie standards".... as Basil B has pointed out.... "Sheraton Hotels and Resortsis the flagship brand of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide based in Stamford, Connecticut, USA"

As to whether this is a legal document...you bet ya life it is...it says so on the document and you have signed it

One suspects somewhere in the group someone/multiple people took home food from a function or from a restaurant, didnt store properly and ended up sick and mosk likely tried to sue the group, remember the hot cup of coffee in McDonalds case in the US ?

You may find this is suppose to be standard procedure in this groups hotels, but most hotels dont follow it and the one in Pattaya is actually following the defined procedure.

I personally dont believe this is a "silly" document made up by the staff at the Sheraton in Pattaya...but a silly little thing made up by the staff at Starwood group in the US....so cant blame Thailand for this one, they are doing what they are told to do...wink.png

You wouldn't believe the crap people would try to pull, I had a customer came in complaining, upset that a cake he brought back to somewhere in Isan was off by the time he managed to get it up there in the cargo hold of the coach

It's not such a bad idea really. If a person took out some food from a cheap restaurant and they got sick, no big deal. If a person pays 1000 baht plus for steak or seafood and they take it out and get sick they may be upset... even if they did leave it in the car all night.smile.png

I understand what you guys are saying about some brain dead customers. I guess that's

the price of running a restaurant.laugh.png

But I still have a hard time believing this document has been written by Sheraton global

layers. I am not an attorney but have been heavily involved in product licensing for over

16 years. I have seen various disclaimer forms and this one is "silly".

First it defines "Indemnifying Party" but than never uses the term. Second, than it goes on

and refers to the "Indemnifying Party" as "Licencor". Since I haven't signed a "License

Agreement" for this food and there was no implied licensing, this liability wafer could be

completely invalid ...

I think it would have been more productive to provide a leave-let that specifically states

how to handle the food. Something like:

"The food we serve has been prepared for immediate consumption. If you decide to

take any of it home, please make sure you consume it or refrigerate it (to at least xx

degrees Celsius/xx degrees Fahrenheit) with in xx minutes.

If you fail to follow the above instructions, the food may/will spoil and should not be

consumed."

Just my opinion guys ...

Cheers,

luudee

And yet much of what comes up when Googling the topic originates from Australia:

The end of the doggy bag?

Fido is not going to like this. Obtaining a doggy bag for those juicy leftover bits at a restaurant is no longer as simple as making a request to your waiter.

Fear of litigation has prompted many Sunshine Coast restaurants to stop altogether the practice of providing doggy bags.

Maroochydore RSL manager Anthony Moore said his club had no choice but to say "no" to doggy bags - even if they were genuinely meant for the dog.

"At our RSL a request for a doggy bag would be declined. This covers us in case a customer leaves it in the car for three hours, eats it and then gets ill, as the responsibility would fall on us," Mr Moore said.

"With all the litigation nowadays we have to protect ourselves in as many ways as possible."

Mr Moore said the RSL's policy had been in place for three years and there were no plans to change it.

"Unfortunately it only takes one customer to create a problem that can cause a lot of damage. It is not a simple thing anymore," he said.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/end-doggy-bag/344378/

Resources

The NSW Food Authority, in partnership with Restaurant & Catering NSW/ACT, has produced a sticker outlining how to keep doggy bag food safe.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/industry/food-business-issues/doggy-bags/#.UY5Zcv_-KYk

Edited by Suradit69

Did a Food Hygiene Certificate a few years back when my ex wife and I were running Thai Restaurants (actually we had all the staff did the same course) and they advised that on every Take Away Container and /or doggy bag that instructions for storage and re-heating be placed on the container . Duty of Care.

And how about all these places that do home delivery ?

I know, I quite often have pizza/KFC left over that I put in the fridge and eat the next day ...

Never have been asked for a Waiver from any of those places ... is the Sheraton food worse than the local Pizzas ?

luudee

And how about all these places that do home delivery ?

I know, I quite often have pizza/KFC left over that I put in the fridge and eat the next day ...

Never have been asked for a Waiver from any of those places ... is the Sheraton food worse than the local Pizzas ?

luudee

Maybe this will answer your question as related to fast foods...wink.png

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/09/a-mcdonalds-hamburger-145-days-later/