I am fed up with fighting with Bangkok Bank about every little thing. THEY SUCK!

I am American with no work permit. I have a retirement visa.

Please suggest banks that are a little more like the ones back home, that are expat friendly with decent hours.

Thanks in advance :)

Any bank will have decent hours if you get one with a branch in a shopping mall.....thank goodness the banks here are not like the ones back home in the US.....you don't need a work permit for a bank account.......almost every expat here on a retirement visa or extension of stay does not have a work permit......talk to your friends and see what bank they use......personally the ability to painlessly transfer money from my US bank to Bangkok Bank via their New York branch makes it my preferred bank here in Thailand......but obviously you don't care about that

• Like 1

I am fed up with fighting with Bangkok Bank about every little thing. THEY SUCK!

I am American with no work permit. I have a retirement visa.

Please suggest banks that are a little more like the ones back home, that are expat friendly with decent hours.

Thanks in advance :)

SCB & Kasikorn. Both have decent online banking and decent hours in the malls and supermarkets.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Bank of Ayudhya / Krungsri. Plenty of branches, and a lot of staff at the one near the US embassy moved across from HSBC so are used to dealing with Westerners and speak good English. On-line and mobile banking options as well as foreign currency and savings accounts.

Unfortunately as an American your government is increasingly turning you into the lepers of the banking world.

The US expects every one to follow its lead and do what it says to follow the US agenda on what is wrong and right. Particularly relating to reporting requirements. More and more financial institutions in different countries are deciding it's too much hassle to deal with US citizens because of the requirements of the US government. Particularly now as US isn't as important as it used to be, so is calling less and less shots.

I had a letter recently from TMB asking me to come in and close some investment accounts because I was American, and they had taken the decision not to deal with Americans for that particular type of business. Luckily I pointed out I'm not American even though I'm a farang, we're not all the same.

The other factor of course is general incompetence in some branches of some banks :)

Try Citibank or Siam Commercial Bank.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Given its New York branch, Bangkok Bank offers many benefits for Americans over other Thai banks. I'm not sure what trouble you're having with them but there is at least one representative from BB that posts in this forum. He has been very helpful to me personally, in addition to fixing very desirable exchange rates on large transfers. If you PM me I can give you an email address

Siam Commercial Bank is another good choice. I would avoid Kasikorn bank at all costs.

If your problems with BB stem from having to pay and wait for your printed statements, or some things require "dealing with headquarters", or that you are having some trouble with inter provincial banking, I think you will find that all banks here are similarly crappy.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

I think the OP needs to be more specific about his problems. I see problems posted here for every bank in Thailand. Just depends on your specific situation.

I've been with BB for almost 4 years. No problems yet and love the NY branch they have for money transfers. Cheap and easy to use. We also have an account at K Bank. No problems there either.

A post violating this forum rule has been removed from view:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

If you don't have something constructive to say, please don't post anything.

wai2.gif

In terms of being "expat friendly" consider that:

* Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank that I know of that has a dedicated "expat banking team" in HQ to look at improving products and services for the expat segment of their customer base

* Bangkok Bank is the only bank to monitor and participate in discussions here in Thaivisa (though this was at the personal initiative of two expat staff there, not as an official bank policy or as the Bank's official representatives)

That said, of course there are staff training and performance issues throughout the network, plus there will always be some differences in policies and procedures in LOS versus another country that may cause inconvenience or confusion.

Edited by ThailandInvestmentGuide

Like the OP, I'm am an American with no work permit and on a retirement visa also. Bangkok Bank has worked out very good for me over the years and I deal with three different branches.

The OP's post has no details as to why he dislikes Bangkok Bank; if it's because the Thai banking system is different from his home country's or due to some banking restrictions which apply to farangs--like easily being able to transfer money out of Thailand--then I would just recommend he lobby the Bank of Thailand to make their banking regulations (which all Thai banks must follow) more farang friendly. But it can indeed get frustrating sometimes in dealing with Thai banking rules regardless of the Thai bank based on the many ThaiVisa posts I've read...and the lack of any real consumer protection in the case of fraudulent account/ATM activities is a big negative. And of course it seems some bank branches (regardless of the Thai bank), like some immigration offices, seem to implement rules in their own unique way or just don't seem to be farang friendly.

Seems most expats seem to recommend Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank or Siam Commercial Bank. The OP might want to give the latter two a try, but he may want to keep his Bangkok Bank account open in case he needs to come back to it...or wants to transfer money more cheaply using their NY branch ACH capability.

Given its New York branch, Bangkok Bank offers many benefits for Americans over other Thai banks. I'm not sure what trouble you're having with them but there is at least one representative from BB that posts in this forum. He has been very helpful to me personally, in addition to fixing very desirable exchange rates on large transfers. If you PM me I can give you an email address

Siam Commercial Bank is another good choice. I would avoid Kasikorn bank at all costs.

If your problems with BB stem from having to pay and wait for your printed statements, or some things require "dealing with headquarters", or that you are having some trouble with inter provincial banking, I think you will find that all banks here are similarly crappy.

I've just PM'd you.

Depends on where the branch of Bangkok Bank is located. I tried to open a BB account near where I was living, somewhere down BangNa-Trat road, but the local staff said I could not open an account on a retirement visa.

Went to Bangkok Bank office in Sukhumvit near soi 8 and opened in five minutes, with two ATM cards no problem.

Been with them for years and their iBanking service is first rate.

Moral: choose a bank in a Farang friendly area.