Ban On Long Hair For Thai Students To Be Lifted

webfact

I would rather see students thinking about learning something, than competing with each other, who has the sexiest hair. Let the students learn, not have a fashion show, same with the uniforms.

Aahh... the "Distraction Argument". Always a good one!

The poor pupils get the distracted by hair and clothing. Hmm... like really puritan life when we walked soberly to church on Sunday wearing our grey attire.

sam-gross-a-female-puritan-walks-through

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

I would rather see students thinking about learning something, than competing with each other, who has the sexiest hair. Let the students learn, not have a fashion show, same with the uniforms.

Yes, lice do spread, and that probably was the original idea of the short hair.

Given the current standard of education and learning in Thai schools, I consider it extremely unlikely that anything, even different hairstyles, could drag the system down any further.

Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

The private school students not effected by this draconian law.

The mention of lice???? That is a world wide problem NOT restricted to Isaan!

I always thought the marking of under-age girls with a short haircut was very sensible.

They guy could never claim 'she looked 15 to me' and get away with it.

• Like 1

What most Thai folk do not realise that the use of an effective medicated shampoo will get rid of head lice. It will not however get rid of nits (the eggs of lice). These take about 3 days to mature so the shampoo must be used again about 48 hours after the first use. This will kill the maturing lice who cannot procreate as yet. A further application of the shampoo after another 48 hours totally eradicates the problem. After working up a good lather the ultimate results are achieved if the shampoo is left to do it's work for about 5 minutes before a thorough rinsing. Bedding should of course be washed in a mild disinfectant and thoroughly cleansed to prevent irritation of the skin.

It is a fallacy that if one child in a class has head lice that the rest will also get them. Do teachers get head lice??????? One of my Thai nieces had an ongoing problem with head lice but her siblings, with whom she shared a bed, did not. The use of a medicated shampoo every three days has kept the whole family clear of the problem.

That this basic knowledge of personal hygiene is not known, or if it is then broadcast, is yet another indication of the limited knowledge base of the teachers and/or their disinterest in the welfare of their students.

What most Thai folk do not realise that the use of an effective medicated shampoo will get rid of head lice. It will not however get rid of nits (the eggs of lice). These take about 3 days to mature so the shampoo must be used again about 48 hours after the first use. This will kill the maturing lice who cannot procreate as yet. A further application of the shampoo after another 48 hours totally eradicates the problem. After working up a good lather the ultimate results are achieved if the shampoo is left to do it's work for about 5 minutes before a thorough rinsing. Bedding should of course be washed in a mild disinfectant and thoroughly cleansed to prevent irritation of the skin.

It is a fallacy that if one child in a class has head lice that the rest will also get them. Do teachers get head lice??????? One of my Thai nieces had an ongoing problem with head lice but her siblings, with whom she shared a bed, did not. The use of a medicated shampoo every three days has kept the whole family clear of the problem.

That this basic knowledge of personal hygiene is not known, or if it is then broadcast, is yet another indication of the limited knowledge base of the teachers and/or their disinterest in the welfare of their students.

Had a similar problem with the sister in law's kids who used to come over and stay with us on weekends. Repetitive head scratching prompted my wife to have a closer look and the little critters were everywhere. Wife informed her sister and told her to sort it.

Two weeks later the children come round again, lice and all. Wife speaks to sister who says the children didn't want to use the shampoo because it didn't smell very nice so she didn't use it. You can't beat an old fashioned bit of Thai denial, lack of confrontation and discipline (even with own children).

Anyway, they were here for the weekend so I told them they either sleep by the elevator or the shampoo is happening. A blast on Friday evening and another on Sunday sorted it out. Tears lasted 5 minutes till they realised I was serious.

• Like 1

Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

It doesn't matter if a law is passed

>Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

It doesn't matter if new regulations are put in place as many school principals will cling to the old ones to prove they are the authority in their school and in any case this is how it's always been done. This will be especially true in rural schools far away from Bangkok.

Therein lies the issue. If it is legal for the children to wear their hair longer, how can a school principle step in and keep with the old ways, which would essentially be breaking the law should a child or the parents decide a longer hairstyle is what they desire? I ask the question as I know the Director of my daughters school is an old dinosaur and will not give the kids any leeway at all.

>Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

It doesn't matter if new regulations are put in place as many school principals will cling to the old ones to prove they are the authority in their school and in any case this is how it's always been done. This will be especially true in rural schools far away from Bangkok.

Therein lies the issue. If it is legal for the children to wear their hair longer, how can a school principle step in and keep with the old ways, which would essentially be breaking the law should a child or the parents decide a longer hairstyle is what they desire? I ask the question as I know the Director of my daughters school is an old dinosaur and will not give the kids any leeway at all.

Physical punishment of a school child was supposedly stopped and made illegal some years ago however, in some schools Thai teachers still carry sticks, and use them! As for the posters comment about using medicated shampoos for lice and nits most rural parents (and kids) will buy the cheapest shampoo they can find never mind medicated! The poster who made the comment that lice will NOT spread around a classroom has obviously never worked in a school. His other comment "do teachers get lice? The answer is no because one confirmed case with a student and EVERY teacher will immediately buy and use a medicated shampoo!

Mae Rim high school (near CM) has already announced to its' kids, enforced short hair rule has gone.

I'm pretty sure most schools will be sensible with this. In my private school, students will still need to wear their hair properly (girls hair tied back), boys should still be fairly short and tidy.

What part of reading do you not understand? I never even mentioned Isaan, there is more to up country than just that place. However, by your logic, it being a world problem is a good enough reason to encourage it here right? Once one kid in a class is infected with lice or red eye the whole class gets it - everywhere, INCLUDING Isaan!!

You must be bored!!!

My comment relates directly to the timing! IMHO - The end of the school year, pre SongKran would have been the sensible time to introduce new rules on this subject!