Baby Terrapins/turtles At Warorot Market

vp1985

Hey guys

I was just at Warorot buying some supplies and I saw a stall selling what I think are baby terrapins, They were in a bucket and clampering to try and get out.

Does anyone know if they are sold for food or pets? My guess is food, I know in Chinese culture they can be known to boil them alive.

Also does anyone know if the market holders collect them from the mote or the Mae Ping?

If they are likly to be boiled alive for food I am tempted to go and buy them to release, I know this won't stop the chance of them being recaptured or stop others being caught tomorrow, but it may give the poor little guys a second chance.

Cheers.

There will not be much meat on a baby terrapin, so I would think that they are been sold as pets,

and also to release to make merit.

Most of the baby terrapins are exported world wide, from farms in Louisiana,Florida, so releasing

into the environment here is not a good thing,the other week I was fishing and caught a fish that

is native to the Amazon, a Pacu, about 6 inches long, same fish I seen on the Extreme Angler,in

PNG, introduced by the govt to the Sepik river as a food fish,a fruit and nut eater,those not too

plentiful there ,they had taken to eating all the river plants, and as a treat, mens dangling bits,

while they were washing in the river, nuts but of a different kind !,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Wifey uses them for eating, cooked alive in boiling water and then the shell taken off and gutted. Flesh cut up and used in soups/curry. Buys them from Warrot in alley near 7/11 next to a Gold Shop.

wifey that's adorable calling her wifey. a lot better then the wife

Wifey uses them for eating, cooked alive in boiling water and then the shell taken off and gutted. Flesh cut up and used in soups/curry. Buys them from Warrot in alley near 7/11 next to a Gold Shop.

wifey that's adorable calling her wifey. a lot better then the wife

pet name....because she is password protected no doubt.

• Like 1

Why did you say that? They are sold as pets or release to make merit!

Edited by ARISTIDE

Why did you say that? They are sold as pets or release to make merit!

I can accept that some may use them for merit,most if you wish, but not all.

The terrapins are in plastic bowls next to bowls of live eels, frogs, fish, crabs etc. Terrapins are not standalone items. Might I suggest that not all of the eels, frogs, crabs, and fish are released for merit or taken home as pets.

They are not sold next to goldfish, puppies, kittens or canaries.

To think they are not eaten at all is like my second marriage, "a triumph of hope over experience"

I do not eat them, but they are certainly cooked and ate in our house.

Edited by mamborobert

Sanom Krumeuang wrote a book on Thai superstitions (Boran Oo bai) which included that you should not eat turtles as you will grow up to be bow legged and walk slow.

The ethnic Chinese of the north are still Thai and have very different traditions/superstitions and dare I say food. Turtle soup is a Chinese delicacy, My ethnic Thai neighbours take a dim view of some cooking in our abode, and indeed wifey takes a very dim view of most western food......but eat turtle she does (as do her sister/cousins etc) and she buys them from Warrot.

Thanks for all the information. It's good to hear some people release the little guys for merit.

I can't say I'm not sickened that some people could cook any living, feeling creature alive, culture or not. There are many humane ways to kill food, and I can't comprehend how somebody could boil something alive without thinking of the pain and suffering of that creature.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information. It's good to hear some people release the little guys for merit.

I can't say I'm not sickened that some people could cook any living, feeling creature alive, culture or not. There are many humane ways to kill food, and I can't comprehend how somebody could boil something alive without thinking of the pain and suffering of that creature.

It's nothing at all to do with 'culture', it's everything to do with sickening cruelty.

• Like 1

I'm actually with you on that one and have voiced my disapproval.

Having said that I become a laughing stock for my wife when my elderly western father comes who will routinely drown or boil crayfish alive, boil live prawns, and break the neck or hatchet a chicken.

For me its not necessarily a cultural thing...its an animal cruelty issue. Its on that basis that a lot of western restaurants no longer boil crays (but freeze).

Also seeing an animal as food rather than as an animal. With my father I think this is a generational issue...he simply sees it as food that is there for him to use and hence has no issue with shark attacks for example(sharks see us as potential food)...

Culture wise my wife is horrified at the smell and use of butter?

When it comes to animal cruelty I think a large number of Thai are with you.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I heard that they put them to sleep in the freezer. But I see Gordon Ramsay boil lobster alive all the time on his TV show. I think he's still doing it.

Its on that basis that a lot of western restaurants no longer boil crays (but freeze)

I heard that they put them to sleep in the freezer. But I see Gordon Ramsay boil lobster alive all the time on his TV show. I think he's still doing it.

Its on that basis that a lot of western restaurants no longer boil crays (but freeze)

I think clams are also boiled alive

But to get back to the topic the ones that are released to make merit is there a proper place to do so and if how many survive?

Ping River?

But to get back to the topic the ones that are released to make merit is there a proper place to do so and if how many survive?

I've been to a couple of the release ceremonies at the Wats along the river. Its a traditional feel-good type of thing, but really does no good. If you stay on the edge of the water for just a few minutes, you'll see the huge lunker fish coming out from under the dock to eat up all the lives that were "set-free".

Ping River?

• Like 2

I've been to a couple of the release ceremonies at the Wats along the river. Its a traditional feel-good type of thing, but really does no good. If you stay on the edge of the water for just a few minutes, you'll see the huge lunker fish coming out from under the dock to eat up all the lives that were "set-free".

Ping River?

Yes that was more of the information I was looking for. I didn't know if there was a ceremony or not. I was wondering if just dumping them in the river there under the Nawarat Bridge would do. No dock there for big fish to come out from.

so i gather you dont like lobster?