Sanam Luang Protesters Face Stern Legal Action

webfact

Sanam Luang protesters face stern legal action
By English News

13690113354089.jpg

BANGKOK, May 20 – Civil authorities in the Thai capital--City Hall--have vowed to take tough legal action against demonstrators who refused to move out of Sanam Luang after Saturday’s deadline.

Wichai Sangprapai, an adviser to Governor Sukhumbhand Parabatra, said members of the Thai Patriorts Alliance who defied a Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) order to leave the public ground would be charged with violating laws of the city's administration, cleanliness and public order, and the protection of state property.

He said a complaint would be filed to seek the court’s ruling against the trespassers who would be dealt with in accord with international procedures.

The protesters have occupied Sanam Luang, opposite the Grand Palace, since early last week, to protest against the administration of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the role of the International Court of Justice in the Phra Viharn (Preah Vihear in the Khmer language) temple dispute between Thailand and Cambodia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-20

Am I getting this right, you can have one set of protesters the Red shirts, doing what they do best, then another set of protesters that refused to move on when the BMA asked them to do so, so I gather that the PTP brigade had permission to protest from the BMA and the Patriots alliance , didn't or couldn't have had permission to be there or they both didn't have permission and one is being favoured more than the other or the BMA didn't have the guts to move the PTP supporters on, Whichcoffee1.gif .

• Like 2

The red shirts caused a lot of hassle for people, but it was only for one day.

The "patriots" have been there for how long? I don't know what hassle they are causing, but the BMA want them out for an upcoming Buddhist holiday.

Am I getting this right, you can have one set of protesters the Red shirts, doing what they do best, then another set of protesters that refused to move on when the BMA asked them to do so, so I gather that the PTP brigade had permission to protest from the BMA and the Patriots alliance , didn't or couldn't have had permission to be there or they both didn't have permission and one is being favoured more than the other or the BMA didn't have the guts to move the PTP supporters on, Whichcoffee1.gif .

Yesterday the chair of the National Security Council swore blind there was no double standards in dealing with protests. OK general one more time and this time with feeling..

• Like 1

Fair enough this time, the group at Sanam Luang were asked, then told to leave and they refused.

They have been there for more than a week now and have had their time and remember they were tolerated right through the royal plowing ceremony.

There is nothing to stop them going home for a bit then going back somewhere else or even to the same place.

Whether or not they had a permit I don't know but if they did I doubt they would be given another now they refuse to leave.

Methinks they have taken a silly thing to pick on to protest about when no decision has yet been handed down.

UPDATE:
Thai Patriots get another two days to leave

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Members of the Thai Patriots Network, who are camped out in Sanam Luang since early last week, have been given another two days to move out.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Jumpol Sampaopol said Monday that the Phra Nakhon district office was pressuring the protesters to move out by getting the police to record the incident and having district officials and law enforcers talk to them. There are only about 500 protesters camped out at the site.

If they refuse to leave within the deadline, the city will file a police complaint against them, he said. However, he said, BMA will not use violence to disperse the rally because it believes Thai compatriots can talk the problem over.

The group, protesting against the government and the International Court of Justice's role in the Preah Vihear temple dispute, has refused to leave the site by Saturday as demanded by BMA.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-20

There was a large throng of red shirts on Huey kaew road today, a procession of motorbikes, tuk tuks and song taews. Just prior to their appearance a police parking enforcement vehicle cleared the way for them. I assume they were on the way to the new convention centre to show support for Yingluck and co. No favouritism here folks.

The difference is that some groups obtain a permit allowing the BMA to manage the situation and divert traffic where needed. As well, the group moves along and then disperses. The Democrats can have a rally in favour of their leader if they so choose. All they need to do is to obtain a permit and submit a plan. (Which is something the Democrats have done in the past.)

• Like 2