Uk Citizenship For Step Son Over 18

Hi All,

I just want to run this by you and check im not missing anything?

My wife and step son came to the UK June 2010 on Settlement Visa, 2 years later applied for ILR, this was granted in November 2012 for both of them, My step son is now 19 years old (18 when we applied for ILR)

My wife will be applying for Citizenship in June this year as she will have been here 3 years. My son applied for settlement as a child to accompany mother, then ILR as a dependent over 18 and did the ESOL courses to satisfy that part.

Am I right in thinking he needs to wait the 5 years to apply for Citizenship or is there a way he can apply with his mother given the circumstances? I understand from a previous thread that he will need to do Life in UK test also after October so just wondered if I could do anything before the changes.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by andyandythai

I'm afraid that even though he was under 18 when he entered the UK as he is now over 18 he will no longer be classed as a child and so has to meet the standard requirements for naturalisation.

This means he must, among other requirements;

• been living in the UK for at least 5 years,
  • have held ILR, or the equivalent, for at least 1 year,
  • met the knowledge of life and language in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Note that KOLL changes for all applications from 28th October 2013. See this post.

So your wife will need to take an English speaking and listening test if she is going to apply on or after that date, and if she met KOLL for her ILR by means of an ESOL course she'll need to pass the LitUK test as well.

I'm afraid that even though he was under 18 when he entered the UK as he is now over 18 he will no longer be classed as a child and so has to meet the standard requirements for naturalisation.

This means he must, among other requirements;

• been living in the UK for at least 5 years,
  • have held ILR, or the equivalent, for at least 1 year,
  • met the knowledge of life and language in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Note that KOLL changes for all applications from 28th October 2013. See this post.

So your wife will need to take an English speaking and listening test if she is going to apply on or after that date, and if she met KOLL for her ILR by means of an ESOL course she'll need to pass the LitUK test as well.

Thanks 7by7, I knew you would clarify that for me thanks. My wife will apply next month and has passed Life In UK for her ILR so all ok.

Thank You

Andy