Pee Mak Phra Khanong - Have You Seen It?

uptheos

A week ago, I decided to go and see what all the hype was about this movie. It is currently the second highest grossing Thai movie ever. Before going to see it, I read up on the original story, Mae Nak Phra Khanong in Thai folklore, of which this movie is an adaption. After reading the original story, it sounded quite interesting, considering many Thai's believe it and that there is also a shrine to Mae Nak, which stands next to Klong Phra Kanong at Wat Mahabut, a large temple down Soi 77 off Sukhumwit Road. You can read the rest of their beliefs centred around this on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Nak_Phra_Khanong Maybe people living in that area will know it.

Anyway I really expected a movie with something out of the ordinary, considering the legend. Instead, I found the movie to be more of a slapstick comedy, not particularly well acted, although I must admit it had some funny moments. I wonder if it was made into a comedy/horror because the legend is well believed and to make it with no comedy, would have had the Thai audience looking over their shoulders for months to come. It is worth going to see and to formulate your own opinion, I'm glad that I did, but as a foreigner still don't get all the hype. I saw it in Chiang Mai and although it is 15+ restricted, there were parents with their very young children, The film has English sub titles, so if your Thai isn't up to it, you can still follow it quite easily.

• Like 1

Its the 3rd of 4th time this has been made as well a a few times a tv series.nothing original ,every time with the 'new' so called actors as the stars.Thai movies are pitiful

Yes, that all goes without saying, but why has this version suddenly become a record breaker, up there threatening Suriyothai and King Narusan for the number one spot?

Edited by uptheos

Yes, that all goes without saying, but why has this version suddenly become a record breaker, up there threatening Suriyothai and King Narusan for the number one spot?

-

Serious, long, dramatic, tink-too-mutt historical epics vs ghosts+comedy with popular super-stars?

And you're surprised?

I was going to see it, GF saw it when I was visiting home and said the only funny parts were in the trailer and it was normal brain dead humor, so I skipped it.

However, since my name is Mark and I am from the US, reciting the line about name pronunciation continues to get big laughs from Thais...

I saw it; I enjoyed it. It is not the sophisticated cinema some of us enjoy of course, but it is a fun experience to watch with a Thai audience. I actually liked Laddaland a lot more, it was scarier and much better imo. I recommend seeing it one in the theater as well.

I saw it; I enjoyed it. It is not the sophisticated cinema some of us enjoy of course, but it is a fun experience to watch with a Thai audience. I actually liked Laddaland a lot more, it was scarier and much better imo. I recommend seeing it one in the theater as well.

It did have some funny moments that had me chuckling, but it wasn't scary, wasn't particularly well made or acted.......so why is it breaking all box office records and may surpass Suriyothai and King Narusan as the biggest grossing Thai film ever.

This is the point I would like to understand, not particularly the quality of Thai movies, which in general is very poor.

It did have some funny moments that had me chuckling, but it wasn't scary, wasn't particularly well made or acted.......so why is it breaking all box office records and may surpass Suriyothai and King Narusan as the biggest grossing Thai film ever.

This is the point I would like to understand, not particularly the quality of Thai movies, which in general is very poor.

I think some Thai horror is actually very good. "Alone" was probably my favorite. This is the same directors. I think they are sophisticated enough artists, but money talks. It is just what the Thais want to see; fun, unsophisticated mediocrity. I don't really know what to say, I feel the talent is here, but like many places, not properly utilized.

The reason this is grossing so much is probably because all those 200 baht a day workers just got a huge raise. Didn't they?

Edited by utalkin2me

In my opinion complete waste of time! Went to see it with 6 other people from my office (5 of whom are Thai) 4 of the group thought it was rubbish ( myself included) 2 thought just about ok and 1 liked it (though she now says she has changed her mind, group pressure maybe , btw she is not Thai). Scripted by a fifteen year old with that level of humour it seems.

I have seen a few good Thai movies but this one not even close

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

I think some Thai horror is actually very good. "Alone" was probably my favorite. This is the same directors. I think they are sophisticated enough artists, but money talks. It is just what the Thais want to see; fun, unsophisticated mediocrity. I don't really know what to say, I feel the talent is here, but like many places, not properly utilized.

The reason this is grossing so much is probably because all those 200 baht a day workers just got a huge raise. Didn't they?

As you say, it's what the public wants. Bit like the rubbish James Bond films that the UK produces.

The definitive version is Nonzee Nimibutr's "Nang Nak" from 1999...great acting, production values, genuinely scary.

I saw the new one and I was actually surprised at how much I liked it...it's a cut above many of the Thai slapstick comedy movies but still far from great.

The English subtitles, however, are terrible...you really need to know colloquial Thai to get the humor, much of it is plays on words, comments on current events, cinema, folk sayings...the more Thai you know, the funnier it is.

• Like 1

-

Serious, long, dramatic, tink-too-mutt historical epics vs ghosts+comedy with popular super-stars?

And you're surprised?

Your quote says to me: Thai people are dense and just want to laugh....right, and that someone explains why "they" loved Suriyothai and Naresuan...

It just reeks of cultural superiority. Why be in Thailand if Thai people are so dumb and simple to figure out?

As you say, it's what the public wants. Bit like the rubbish James Bond films that the UK produces.

Nice parallel with James Bond. I love how so many people act as if this is like some Thailand only business. Every film market produces the same filth that its people want to see because the numbers don't lie and people know how they can make money. This one seems to be better produced than previous slap-sticks (which I feel people throw around as a term with very negative connotations, which isn't really fair considering the amount of junk Western TV produces that grosses millions).....

I wonder which one got the biggest worldwide audience?rolleyes.gif

In my opinion complete waste of time! Went to see it with 6 other people from my office (5 of whom are Thai) 4 of the group thought it was rubbish ( myself included) 2 thought just about ok and 1 liked it (though she now says she has changed her mind, group pressure maybe , btw she is not Thai). Scripted by a fifteen year old with that level of humour it seems.

I have seen a few good Thai movies but this one not even close

wow thank you, I thought I was the only one that hated it, I couldn't wait for the damn thing to be over, it felt like 5 hours of torture.

I found it quite entertaining -its something of a novelty in comparison to some of the rubbish which passes as entertainment from Hollywood. It demands some cultural sensibility and suspense of disbelief, but then what movie doesnt? Its kind of like the three stooges meets thai whiskey with a love story and a beautiful ghost. Hey, there are worse ways of spending your time and 160 Baht.

Go an see it and have some fun.smile.png

remember theres no hollywood budget,so get real.its just a bit of harmless fun for us to see,i enjoyed it and watching the audience screaming,your critisism isnt justified on this RELAX,no-ones forcing you to watch eh,,,,,,,phew thats better,,

How can you possibly compare a uk, James bond film to thai rubbish like that. the worst shit to roll out of anywhere is the American drivel that nearly all seems the same , disney etc . Its mind numbing nowadays how many films are just the exact same script, pridicatable story , heros and villans one liners and a happy ending... probably less than 1 in 20 movies I download ,i will save to watch again. Uk films on the whole are the best of all nationalities. I feel personally, most show some degree of a twist to the story, a sutuble thread of humour that run through the plot and charecters you can associate with.

How can you possibly compare a uk, James bond film to thai rubbish like that. the worst shit to roll out of anywhere is the American drivel that nearly all seems the same , disney etc . Its mind numbing nowadays how many films are just the exact same script, pridicatable story , heros and villans one liners and a happy ending... probably less than 1 in 20 movies I download ,i will save to watch again. Uk films on the whole are the best of all nationalities. I feel personally, most show some degree of a twist to the story, a sutuble thread of humour that run through the plot and charecters you can associate with.

GO UK CINEMA!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it on two occasions because I liked it so much.

First time was on a GFE and she requested I take her. So off we went. I did not know anything about it and absolutely loved it. My first Thai movie with English subtitles.

Second time on another GFE with another Thai girl I suggested it to her.

I will probably by the DVD when it is released also.

the shrine in onnut i went their is basically the rembrants of the house along with canoo style boat next to the klong. it had a about 300 people waiting to pay their respects, maybe now the movie is no longer in the major cinpelexes the wait is down to 50 people

funny movie better than the average thai comedy

Yes because Cubby Broccoli and the whole James Bond Hollywierd set up is British,isn't it? Edited by Eesat